Finally, after 10 years of working on this project, I am able to present the 3rd (and last) demo of The artifacts of marvelous birds - or short: Taomb
This hack features five complete worlds with 45 exits to check out
* New levels
* New overworld
* New music
* New story which is not complete in this demo
* A LOT of custom (self-drawn) graphics
* Many custom effects/sprites/blocks
Expect a mysterious adventure through tropical islands, dubious fields, haunted forests and icy areas.
Please keep in mind that the first two worlds are really old, though some parts of levels have been revamped. The great quality of this hack definitely lies within later worlds, so don't quit too soon!
This hack starts out really easy, but gets harder and harder as you progress. World 4 and 5 do get challenging.
This hack has been completely made using Lunar Magic 1.63, Block Tool Super Deluxe and SpriteTool (among others), so there are much more limits than what you can do nowadays with newer versions.
This is an AMAZING hack. Just the design, the sprites, the music and the level design is spectacular. This is a very fun hack to play. If you would like you can check out my youtube video on it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc82gDSwyIY&feature=youtu.be With that being said, amazing hack!
A cute hack that has a nostalgic 2009 aesthetic to it. The design is fine for the most part, though there are a few things that hamper the gameplay. The biggest issue is huge amount of padding. A lot of levels require you to go back and forth through the same sections, usually to bring an item to someplace. This is hardly engaging level design and shows some laziness on the author's part. The large amount of secret exits towards the end of the hack is frustrating as well as you spend a needlessly long amount of time sifting through levels that you've already beat. The many pipes to check don't help either.
Some misc. notes:
- It's possible to get softlocked in Piranha Sand Cave by R-scrolling right before the autoscroll starts. You might want to fix this in a future update.
- Some of the reset pipes felt superfluous. You would have to go out of your way to mess up some of these challenges.
- It's hilariously easy to despawn the bees in Flee from bees!
- The "ghost house with doors that lead back to the start" cliche is really tired by now. It just isn't fun to play in any way.
- The last puzzle in Locked Rooms is both insidious and brilliant. I can see some people getting stuck on that.
- The spikes in Aros' Underworld are really hard to see.
- The increased HP for the chucks doesn't do much since you can just hit them over and over without them ever having a chance to attack you. You're just wasting the player's time at that point.
- The music that plays in the forest covered with bloodied corpses seems a bit too calming for this occasion. (Unless this is meant to parody Snakewood.)