This patch intends to provide users with a means of dramatically expanding and easily customizing the functions of the Yoshi, baby Yoshi and Yoshi egg sprites, with no requirement of ASM knowledge.
- Enables functioning Yoshi sprites for all 8 sprite palettes, thus doubling the number of usable Yoshi colors
- Allows a great many functional attributes of Yoshi to be customized on a per-Yoshi-color basis
- Provides a framework for up to 8 unique shell-carrying abilities, settable on a per-Yoshi-color, per-shell-color basis
- Provides a means of inserting all 8 palettes of Yoshi within Lunar Magic via the extra bit - no custom sprite insertion needed
- Adds custom sprite/expanded sprite state support for cases in which a non-Yoshi sprite hatches from a Yoshi egg (such as after eating berries)
- Optionally fixes a number of Yoshi-related glitches and other oddities
See the included instructions for specific usage details. All code is exhaustively commented.
Added in V 1.01:
- Added SA-1 detection and support.
- Added a define for address $18E7 and changed RAM addresses in shell_carry_abl.asm to defines.
- Added the option to replicate the original game's horizontal dismount routine, which does not alter X speed at all upon aerial dismount (impossible to replicate in V 1.00 as coded) - thanks go out to Kazkek for reporting this oversight.
- Added a proper explanation of the modified behavior of RAM address $13C7 to readme.txt.
Removed _MACOSX and .DS_Store from the ZIP. No other changes were made.
The massive amount of hijacks also leaves the patch danger in danger for many hijack conflicts. In fact, I can think that Edible Blocks (for the berry hijack) and the Yoshi egg question mark blocks (for the Yoshi egg hijack, the other blocks work fine) are incompatible with this patch.
Nonetheless, this is a patch you certainly want to use if you want to have more creative Yoshi gimmicks. Each of the many settings, not to mention custom shell abilities if you can code them, certainly can bring some fun gimmicks if you properly implement them into your hack.