Banner
Views: 319,057,691
Time: 2014-11-01 05:44:58 AM
12 users online: Umbreon, o Perverted Everest, GhostBro, Kazeshin, Krazy Tricky Boo, Len13, o Spooky-chan, DeadnGreen, RenkoV2, Tarek701, o Utsuho Reiuji, WYE - Guests: 31 - Bots: 42Users: 25,778 (1,093 active)
Latest: DoctorNovakaine
Tip: Use palettes that don't burn the eyes. A blazing bright yellow and a night-black are not pleasant.
DragezeeY Engine VII
Forum Index - Non-SMW Hacking - Non-Hacking Game Creation - DragezeeY Engine VII
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Yeah, It's real. The seventh and final installement of my open-source engine is finished.

VIDEO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4684cyksXqY

DOWNLOAD (Preview + Source)
http://www.mediafire.com/?ydm15151t8rvr0i

Here's the stuff included on the engine

Improved Coding (Every script is indented and commented.)
Mountables (Yoshi and the Kuribo Shoe.)
P-Meter (Run like a pro.)
SMB2 / SMB3 & SMW Holdable objects.
One Sprite Animation (Most of the objects uses only 1 sprite for it's animation.)
12 Powerups (Mushroom, Fireflower, Iceflower, Carrot, Leaf, Frog, Tanooki, Hammer, Boomerang, Super, Bomb, Blue Shell, Golden Flower and P-Wing)
No More Voices (No more annoying voices)

Differences from the previous engine

Mario's movement has been improved, Now you don't have to press a combination of keys to perform a move.
6 new powerups were added such as the Super Leaf, Frog Suit, Tanooki Suit, Blue Shell, Golden Flower and the P-Wing.
Last edited on 2013-05-02 02:10:37 PM by CatezeeY.
I just managed to add the P-Wing on the engine

It's been a while since I made an update on this topic.












Well, I have to say that the engine is nearly completed. I only need to program over 100+ enemies and a few menu objects.

Feel free to ask stuff about the engine.
Wow this looks amazing. You've made 6 already? You must be really good at programming. Just wondering, what language did you write them all in? How long did it take for each engine? And finally, you really did all that by yourself?
It's really shaping up nicely. Good job!
@cramps-man: It's programmed with GML (Game Maker Language) and it's fully programmed by me.

@RPG Hacker: Thank you #w{=D}


Bobombs, You want them?

I'm almost done programmin' the enemies. Stay tuned for updates ;)
Last edited on 2013-01-15 05:09:15 AM by CatezeeY.
Nice work, buddy! #w{=)}
Originally posted by RPG Hacker
Nice work, buddy! #w{=)}


TY ;3
Wow, all of this looks incredible! The engine and everything in it looks so professional and well-made. I especially like the last screen with the battleship level.
Originally posted by Jeorge535
Wow, all of this looks incredible! The engine and everything in it looks so professional and well-made. I especially like the last screen with the battleship level.


Thank you, I'm working hard on this :3
This looks interesting, and hopefully useful. I do have a few questions and suggestions:
- Can you throw items upward like in SMW?
- Do you have any plans for adding any more powerups (such as the squirrel suit and mini and mega mushrooms from the NSMB series)?
- I assume this engine includes stuff from SMB1, SMB2, SMB3, and SMW, plus a few things from other games. Are you planning to add anything from YI? And are you planning to add anything from the NSMB games that wouldn't be feasible on the SNES, such as those large rotating blocks?
- How does one make levels, music, and graphics for such an engine, through Game Maker? I presume that the equivalent of ASM stuff (patches, sprites, blocks) can be done by editing the source code.
- What is the background layer handling like? Is it basically the same as SNES Mode 1, with two 4bpp layers and one 2bpp layer? Are there infinite layers and colors? Or is it something in between? What about Mode 7 (and others, like Mode 2, 3, and 5)?
- The controls are configurable, right?
Originally posted by imamelia
Can you throw items upward like in SMW?


- Yeah, Mario can throw up items upwards

Originally posted by imamelia
Do you have any plans for adding any more powerups (such as the squirrel suit and mini and mega mushrooms from the NSMB series)?


- No, but I'm planning to do extension packages to be used on this engine.

Originally posted by imamelia
I assume this engine includes stuff from SMB1, SMB2, SMB3, and SMW, plus a few things from other games. Are you planning to add anything from YI? And are you planning to add anything from the NSMB games that wouldn't be feasible on the SNES, such as those large rotating blocks?


- I'm planning to add one last platform which is the SMW wall spring.

Originally posted by imamelia
How does one make levels, music, and graphics for such an engine, through Game Maker? I presume that the equivalent of ASM stuff (patches, sprites, blocks) can be done by editing the source code.


- GM has a built-in sprite and background editor to make all the sprites and the tilesets. To add sounds you only need to create a new soundfile inside the dev and configure it in any way you please. This happens too with the rooms.

Originally posted by imamelia
What is the background layer handling like? Is it basically the same as SNES Mode 1, with two 4bpp layers and one 2bpp layer? Are there infinite layers and colors? Or is it something in between? What about Mode 7 (and others, like Mode 2, 3, and 5)?


- You can add up to 7 background layers on GM. It can be used as foregrounds too.

Originally posted by imamelia
The controls are configurable, right?


Afraid not, But I added alternative keys such as Z, X and C.
Last edited on 2013-01-17 01:30:59 AM by CatezeeY.
Originally posted by DragezeeY
Originally posted by imamelia
The controls are configurable, right?


Afraid not, But I added alternative keys such as Z, X and C.

UGH. WHY... I've found that not only do games without configurable controls never use the control scheme I prefer, they tend to make the arrow keys on the keyboard correspond to the D-pad. Note that the arrow keys are on the right side, while the D-pad is on the left side, which makes games using such a control scheme (at least, platformers and their ilk) all but unplayable for me. Well, that's why we have USB controllers, I guess...

Also, I guess I should familiarize myself with Game Maker a bit.
Originally posted by imamelia
Originally posted by DragezeeY
Originally posted by imamelia
The controls are configurable, right?


Afraid not, But I added alternative keys such as Z, X and C.

UGH. WHY... I've found that not only do games without configurable controls never use the control scheme I prefer, they tend to make the arrow keys on the keyboard correspond to the D-pad. Note that the arrow keys are on the right side, while the D-pad is on the left side, which makes games using such a control scheme (at least, platformers and their ilk) all but unplayable for me. Well, that's why we have USB controllers, I guess...

Also, I guess I should familiarize myself with Game Maker a bit.


Well, I guess writing a custom engine is the best solution, after all. Game Maker seems to have its limitations.
GM is compatible with joysticks / gamepads.
Does it also support custom window sizes? Judging by your screenshots you are programming the game in 4:3. Is that because you want it like that or because Game Maker is limited to it? Personally, to me widescreen support is one of the most important things games have to offer nowadays.
Since I'm a cool guy, I'm gonna let u guys test my engine.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/7jdgqi

A FEW NOTES
- The only playable level is 1-SHIP, Switch Palaces and Toad Houses.
- Press 'CTRL' on the map to open adyacent paths.
Last edited on 2013-01-17 02:12:12 PM by CatezeeY.
It looks pretty cool so far. But does it support other window sizes? I'm really interested.
Originally posted by RPG Hacker
It looks pretty cool so far. But does it support other window sizes? I'm really interested.


At this moment, it supports windowed and fullscreen mode.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Forum Index - Non-SMW Hacking - Non-Hacking Game Creation - DragezeeY Engine VII

The purpose of this site is not to distribute copyrighted material, but to honor one of our favourite games.

Copyright © 2005 - 2014 - SMW Central
Legal Information - Privacy Policy - Link To Us


Total queries: 27

Menu

Affiliates

  • Talkhaus
  • SMBX Community
  • GTx0
  • Super Luigi Bros
  • ROMhacking.net
  • MFGG