Remember how all those years ago I mentioned that I was going to give Donkey Kong Country: Boss Blitz, my boss endurance hack of DKC, a large update
to give it the features
of its sequel, DKC2: Brigand Barrage
...Now, it's time to release
Donkey Kong Country: Boss Blitz (Revision 1.5) - 114 KB
(apply the IPS to an unheadered DKC v1.0 (U) ROM)
A video can be found at the following link...
DKC Boss Blitz (SNES Hack) - Revision 1.5 - Gameplay, Showing Off New Features
...and here is a recap of what has changed from the previous version, copied from the readme file:
- All features that were previously exclusive to DKC2: Brigand Barrage have now been backported
- Option settings and record times are now saved to battery-backed memory
- Options Menu changes:
- Added "Game Play Mode" option: The game can now be played with a second player as a team (2P Team)
- The "Active Kong" and "Max. No. of Kongs" options have been merged into a single "Kong Select" option; which displays head icons of the Kongs
- Added a "Boss Select" option: Bosses can now be faced individually instead of all in one sitting
- The "Team Color" options are now labelled with numbers instead of having unique names. Also, the sixth and seventh color schemes were altered to be representative of the teams in DKC2 and 3 respectively.
- "Stopwatch Display" has been renamed "Timer Display"
- During gameplay, pausing now displays a menu with two options in addition to exiting the game: returning to the options menu, and restarting the
boss rush. Similar options also appear when the game ends.
- The timer's logic was altered so that it doesn't begin ticking until you have control of the Kong(s)
- Demos of each boss play after waiting on the title screen for a while
- Several animations have been altered to make use of unused sprites
- Fixed the sound Dumb Drum makes when bouncing off the ground
- Remapped the colors used on the inside of the Kongs' mouths so they look less weird when certain color combinations are used