Banner
Views: 637,796,431
Time:
5 users online: Christian07, Kazkek, slakkmichael, TheBiob, WhiteYoshiEgg - Guests: 32 - Bots: 287Users: 34,873 (1,403 active)
Latest: Activisor
Tip: Avoid making large, flat, boring stretches of land. Vary up the architecture and spritework in your levels.Not logged in.
Custom powerups patch v3.0.0 update
Forum Index - Sunken Ghost Ship - C3 Museum - Winter 2018 - Custom powerups patch v3.0.0 update
Pages: « 1 2 »
Custom powerups patch v3.0.0 (C3 Release)

So yeah, I've decided to release a beta version of v3.0.0 this C3. This version ditches the normal 16x32 player for a 32x32 one, letting me to program other powerups that would be a nightmare in v2.1.1, alongside with tons of other stuff.

The included powerups are:
- Hammer Mario (SMB3)
- Boomerang Mario (Custom)
- Super Leaf (SMB3)
- Tanooki Suit (SMB3)
- Frog Suit (SMB3)
- Superball Flower (SML)
- Rocket Boots, previously known as Rocket mushroom (Terraria)
- Mini Mushroom (NSMB)
- Propeller Suit (NSMBWii)
- Shell Suit (NSMBWii)

The following ones are missing/planned due to time reasons, but you can find some traces of them in the .zip file:
- Ice Flower (NSMBWii)
- Penguin Suit (NSMBWii)
- Bubble Flower (Custom)
- Cloud Flower (SMG)

Some items got a complete reprogramming and others got some interesting new features, be sure to check them out!

That's a good list of powerups! But you might be wondering, how are you putting all of that stuff in SP1/2!? Well, I went ahead and made a Dynamic Powerup Items system in order to get all of this working. This systems lets you to have a 8KiB .bin file to fill with powerup items graphics with the only downside of having only 2 powerup items on screen, the older items on screen will disappear leaving a puff of smoke. Like Projectile DMA feature, this also can be turned off since I expect some people to not like at all this change.
Here's an image of this in action, in the right side you can see how SP1 looks in game.



This is a sort of rushed release, so expect some things to not be Perfect(tm) and expect updates in the following days #smw{:TUP:}

The readme is also incomplete, that's the last thing I'll update since it's not that relevant for me.

Report every bug you find here or in the Releases forum thread, and if you can provide a fix, I'll be super happy.

As a friendly reminder, I have a discord guild where we discuss this patch, throw out some more ideas, post bugs, etc: https://discord.gg/zMX6bY8
Originally posted by LX5
That's a good list of powerups! But you might be wondering, how are you putting all of that stuff in SP1/2!? Well, I went ahead and made a Dynamic Powerup Items system in order to get all of this working. This systems lets you to have a 8KiB .bin file to fill with powerup items graphics with the only downside of having only 2 powerup items on screen, the older items on screen will disappear leaving a puff of smoke.

They are truly sacrificing themselves for a worthy cause
Originally posted by LX5
- Propeller Suit (NSMBWii)


wow you finally got to work my boy without bugs (does it still crashes when dropping from the item box?)

--------------------
Yes, I know I have a bad english.

I'm currently developing an 8-bit like hack. Check it out if your heart desires.
First run when I got this error.
I did this method with HTML.



--------------------
Your Layout has been removed
Redownload, it's fixed now.

I implemented a "Install byte" that gets modified after inserting for the first time the patch, so the first run doesn't autoclean everything and pops out a million of problems.

Only powerups.asm was modified btw.
Thanks for fixing it!

--------------------
Your Layout has been removed
What even if the included ExGFXFFF for, and how does one go about not inserting in powerups they are not interested in, if they want to not waste space in the rom?
There's no such option at this moment. At most you could trim the graphics files to be 1 byte. The powerups codes takes very little space, so implementing this isn't in my plans, it seems like a ton of effort that I could use for something else.

ExGFXFFF is used to fix the bonus game graphics.
Originally posted by LX5
There's no such option at this moment. At most you could trim the graphics files to be 1 byte. The powerups codes takes very little space, so implementing this isn't in my plans, it seems like a ton of effort that I could use for something else.

ExGFXFFF is used to fix the bonus game graphics.


So basically, this version wastes spaces that previous versions left unwasted (I am the type of person who likes to keep code as short as possible, even if it has no practical difference)

If the bonus game is unused or replaced, no need for ExGFXFFF.

Edit: Also, why do the frog suit and boomerang suit pal files replace palettes 9-A instead of palette 8?

Edit 2: Does the 32x32 Player patch have to be pre-applied separately?
FROG MARIO YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Originally posted by Mariofan64
Edit: Also, why do the frog suit and boomerang suit pal files replace palettes 9-A instead of palette 8?


They need it for the powerup item, Mario's GFX doesn't actually use these palettes.

Originally posted by Mariofan64
Edit 2: Does the 32x32 Player patch have to be pre-applied separately?


No. It comes included and edited.

--------------------
Yes, I know I have a bad english.

I'm currently developing an 8-bit like hack. Check it out if your heart desires.
Will this mean sa-1 will not be supported? Also how about custom status bars?

--------------------

NoALT



Captain Toad is returning to your SNES.
My first completed SMB 1 hack is finished.
Uncle Mario Bros.
Any chance of some generous person making SMB3-style graphics for these stuff so that they can be used with Pacs Graphics Hack without clashing appearances?

Edit: Is there a way to change the order in which the powerups are inserted into slots if one wants to have a different order?
Originally posted by Mariofan64

Edit: Also, why do the frog suit and boomerang suit pal files replace palettes 9-A instead of palette 8


These palette files are some, irrelevant, files I used to be able to visualize the powerups graphics, these aren't relevant at all.
Originally posted by zacmario
Will this mean sa-1 will not be supported? Also how about custom status bars?

SA-1 support is basically untested, I'll be surprised if it works fine. And I have no plans to convert custom status bars to work with the Dynamic Powerup Items.
i vomited this all in your discord, but for easier tracking i might as well note the bugs i've discovered so far:

1) propeller suit cannot insert

2) powerups that use extended sprites are broken (extended sprites cannot insert)

3) when in the Frog Suit and jumping into a powerup, the game will crash instantly

4) overworld mario gfx are messed up when going up or entering a level.

5) seemingly any sprite that incorporates powerups has glitched graphics. the mushroom in a bubble for example, and i assume the lakitu holding mushrooms as well.

havent tested sa-1, wont have the time to for a bit.
academy academy
I hope this will work with SA-1, or..does? I'm kinda confused what's up with that.
But yeah! SA-1 compatibility would be fantastic.
Currently working on a hack.


W3Schools
My Youtube - Layout by RanAS
Originally posted by Mogu94
I hope this will work with SA-1, or..does? I'm kinda confused what's up with that.
But yeah! SA-1 compatibility would be fantastic.


There is SA-1 support, but it's untested.
Originally posted by idol
i vomited this all in your discord, but for easier tracking i might as well note the bugs i've discovered so far:

1) propeller suit cannot insert

2) powerups that use extended sprites are broken (extended sprites cannot insert)

3) when in the Frog Suit and jumping into a powerup, the game will crash instantly

4) overworld mario gfx are messed up when going up or entering a level.

5) seemingly any sprite that incorporates powerups has glitched graphics. the mushroom in a bubble for example, and i assume the lakitu holding mushrooms as well.

havent tested sa-1, wont have the time to for a bit.

Gonna add to this list.

Frog Mario doesn't display the correct animations when going down into pipes, ducking, sliding, or getting the p balloon and inflating.

Frog Mario also breaks level end, castle intro and castle destruction sequences (the latter of which freezes the game entirely)

Maybe a weird quirk if nothing else but it's weird that frog Mario can carry sprites underwater but not on land. Idk if that's intentional or not though.

Map Mario doesn't display the raccoon tail sprite properly (neither does the tanuki suit, and I assume if these are having issues then the cape probably does too, though I didn't test it)

Tanuki and Raccoon tails display continuous animation in cut scenes despite the player not moving in some parts.

Level appearing gfx on the map is glitched in addition to player gfx, so when a level tile reveals itself garbage tiles show up briefly.

1ups have their graphical data overwritten by the dynamic powerup if one is visable on screen when a 1up is spawned.

I missed a bit but this is all I remember off the top of my head.

I would implore everyone to find as many bugs as possible so Lx5 can make this as bug free as he can, since this patch is pretty damn awesome.
That's a Big Boy List you posted lul.

As a friendly reminder, I have a discord guild where we discuss this patch, throw out some more ideas, post bugs, etc: https://discord.gg/zMX6bY8

Also throwing out this information: Don't test on SA-1. The main patch won't even insert due to missing defines. I'd like to polish this thing on normal ROMs first before taking down SA-1 specific bugs.

Finally, take a look at this:
New update, fixing lots of stuff.

Feel free to report bugs in the discord guild or here.

Oh, and there's a online version of the readme: click
Pages: « 1 2 »
Forum Index - Sunken Ghost Ship - C3 Museum - Winter 2018 - Custom powerups patch v3.0.0 update

The purpose of this site is not to distribute copyrighted material, but to honor one of our favourite games.

Copyright © 2005 - 2018 - SMW Central
Legal Information - Privacy Policy - Link To Us


Total queries: 21

Menu

Follow Us On

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Affiliates

  • Talkhaus
  • SMBX Community
  • GTx0
  • Super Luigi Bros
  • ROMhacking.net
  • MFGG
  • Gaming Reinvented