|File Name: ||aluminium 1.1 - SMW Internal Title Changer |
|Submitted: ||04.12.2017 3:05:55 by benjausen |
|Authors: ||benjausen |
|Operating System: || |
|Platforms: || |
|Games: || |
|Source Included: ||Yes |
|Featured: ||No |
|Website: ||Link |
|Description: ||This is a tool that replaces the internal "SUPER MARIOWORLD" game string for a custom one. |
I wrote this little thing to see how could I use a file pointer to do hex edits and to see how I could use programming to solve problems. It helps if for some dark reason you cannot use a hex editor (or a patch!). In case of experiencing any issue, do not hesitate to send me a PM.
The ZIP includes the source code but to get the latest source, you can view the GitHub repo of this tool in the website link. Licensed under WTFPL 1.0
Lunar Magic will refuse to open a ROM with a custom title. If you want to use Lunar Magic on a modified ROM, you need to restore the original title first.
1.01: Added restore functionality and fixed a potential bug (randomdude999).
1.1: Full code rewrite. Fixed a myriad of issues (Alcaro) (randomdude999), added command line argument functionality and unheadered ROM support.
I was going back and forth in my head for a while on whether I should accept or reject this tool. In the end I decided to reject it, mainly based on the fact that it's currently just a minor shortcut for using a patch with Asar. There were also two issues I noted, one which in particular influenced my decision to reject the tool in its current form:
- The tool does not currently fix a ROM's checksum after changing its name, which means that emulators will display a "bad checksum" warning on loading that ROM.
- The tool doesn't currently verify whether the file given is actually a valid SMW ROM (or any SNES ROM at all, for that matter), which means that if you give it a wrong file, it will likely corrupt it.
It's mainly the checksum issue that influenced my decision here. A lot of people probably don't care a bout a hack's checksum, but as far as I know (and I just verified this via a quick test), applying a patch via Asar does actually fix the ROM's checksum, making it a better alternative to this tool. Maybe with the checksum issue fixed, the tool would have a higher chance of being accepted.
All of that being said, for anyone who considers patchs too inconvenient and still wants to use a command line tool for changing a hack's title, I have archived the tool right here
--------------------Feel free to visit my website/blog - it's updated rarely, but it looks pretty cool!