Lately I'm trying very hard to keep track of my inserted assets, and the assets that I want to use in the future. It really is a chore, since I need to keep track properly, for stability purposes, and also for credit purposes.
There is a fair number of softwares that I will be using on the course of my venture, and there are multiple codes, blocks and sprites, and musics.
Now, my problem was SMW central and the available tools do not allow to manage correctly. Some features I would have expected at professional level, but as we're all volunters I am about to find my ideal project management system. I wanted to share it here, and also to warn the newbies that it's very easy to lose track of what is in our rom and why... Actually I've wasted potential very long, just being careless about my ressources.
I'm building my system via the software AirTable. Not to make ad for them, but you can find how it looks on my personal space
, in view mode.
Basically, the needs covered are :
* Saving the links of patches, blocks and sprites I cannot insert and manage right now. Thus filtering out those I didn't like too much : an action the research robot obv cannot perform.
* Keeping track of the Asar patches I've already inserted to a ROM.
* Establishing a logic between GFX number + status (SP3, SP4, ...) and sprite number
* Establishing a logic between Map16, block, ExAnim, and GFX resources. Follow-up was hard to do when I was passing a full level from one hack to another.
* Basically building a reliable access to any information I would be having trouble to find due to technical limits.
I am afraid it wil not be perfect at all, but it's my better start.
SQL relational tables are the best to describe an organisation.
Let's see if it will help me in the long-run.
Thanks for your attention.