WATCH THIS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFBqFXuulxs
I am very new to Super Mario World hacking and I want to make my own hack. Right now, I'm trying to make a test hack to learn how to hack that will problbly not be submitted here. I'm using lot's of tutorials and right now I'm trying to learn how to insert custom music into my ROM. I have Torchkas's "Donkey Kong Country 3 - Northern Kremisphere" music over the Super Mario World overworld. But it's not working right! I looked at numerous tutorials and I think I'm doing everything right, but apperently, I'm not. I was trying to figure this out for at least 3 hours on 9-26-2012 and I can't seem to get it right! I need help, preferably for this specific piece of music! So all of the steps that I took to get my result are below. Since I'm very new to hacking, I want to know specificly, in great detail, exactly what I should do and what I should change and define any new terms/words not in the steps below, preferably by experienced hackers who can help someone new out very well and that the new person would be able to understand everything that the helper is saying.
1. I went to the music section and downloaded, saved, and extracted "Donkey Kong Country 3 - Northern Kremisphere" music by "Torchkas". No, the music is not mine.
2. In the music's Read Me file, it says that if I'm using the music as an overworld, which I am, it says to change the 2B in the header to 68, so I did. I changed the 2B in the second line to 68 and hit file, then save.
3. Then, I went to the tools section and downloaded, saved, and extracted "HuFlungDu's Addmusic v4.05.02", since that's what the music calls for.
4. I then took a clean, unmodified, headered Super Mario World ROM SMC file and copied it and the 100% complete .SRM (SRAM, Save) file that I downloaded from this site into the Lunar Expand folder. Go to the tools section and download it, you need to expand your ROM to at least 2 Megabytes, but not 4 or more so I expanded my ROM to 3.
5. I then copied the second AddMusic405 (file name of "HuFlungDu's Addmusic v4.05.02") folder (it's the one where you open up the AddMusic405 folder from "Downloads" or wherever else you saved it, there's a second folder with the same name with all the stuff in it, I copied that one) to the Lunar Expand folder and I moved my ROM SMC file and the .SRM file to the AddMusic405 folder that I just copied.
6. I then copied the DKC3 - Northern Kremisphere .txt file (with the 2B changed into 68) from the music that I downloaded to the OW folder of the AddMusic405 in the Lunar Expand folder.
7. I then went to the start menu on the bottom-left corner of the screen, typed in "CMD" in the "Search programs and files" at the bottom of the window and copied the first item at the top, the CMD program, into the AddMusic405 folder in Lunar Expand folder.
8. I then copied the file name (not the file itself, right-click on the file, left-click rename, right-click on the file name, left-click copy) of the DKC3 - Northern Kremisphere .txt file OW folder, backed out and double-clicked on the AddMusic Configuration Settings file, pasted the copied text next to 0A under OVERWORLD with the .txt extension, then I clicked "file", then "Save".
9. I then renamed my ROM and .srm file to "SMW".
10. I then double-clicked on the copied CMD, typed in, "AddMusic.exe SMW.smc -se" and pushed Enter. I then typed in "AddMusic.exe SMW.smc", pushed Enter, then closed CMD.
11. I then went to Lunar Magic, opened my ROM, went to the overworld editor, clicked on the Note Block, selected the inserted DKC3 - Northern Kremisphere music on the right-side of the window with Overworld Map selected on the left side, and saved the overworld.
12. I then ran the ROM in my ZSNES v1.51 emulator and checked if the overworld music sounded glitchy to see if I'm doing everything right. It did and I immediately closed the emluator.
13. I then went to the tools section and downloaded, saved, and extracted "Sample Tool 18.104.22.168" by "smkdan".
14. I then copied the extracted SampleTool folder to the AddMusic405 folder in the Lunar Expand folder.
15. I then copied the DKC3 - Northern Kremisphere.bnk BANK file that came with the music into the SampleTool folder.
16. I then opened SampleTool, and went to "file", then "open", then my ROM. Those two "hack inserted" windows came up. I then clicked on "overworld" at the bottom of the SampleTool window, then "Import from file", then "DKC3 - Northern Kremisphere.bnk", then
I clicked "12" from the "Available" drop-down menu, made sure the overworld was at "12" and everything else at "11 (Default)" under the "Location" drop-down menu. I then clicked, "Save bank", then "file", then "save".
17. I then close Sample Tool, run the ROM in the ZSNES emulator, and the music doesn't work right. Watch the video at the top of the post.
So I need help. It doesn't matter if 2B or 68 is in the header of the "Northern Kremisphere" text file, I get the same results.