Regarding that comment of mine:
1. This point can be ignored. I believe the status bar already does DMA.
2. Changing the tile numbers for each and every tile of the status bar would be very nice, but if that's too much for the fulfiller (which I'm sure it would quickly turn out), then fair enough.
3. Having the SB conform to vanilla SB hex edits is nice, but again, if too much for the fulfiller, fair enough.
4. This problem is objectively the worst in the whole patch, especially on SA-1. What really happens here is that either the HDMA effect(s) or L3 background in the level, if any, will flicker badly for one frame. Absolutely frustrating, which is the main reason I left the patch in the first place.
5. I take this back. ExLevels have nothing to do with IRQ. What actually happens is that although the IRQ is disabled, the status bar is technically part of the L3 BG's tilemap, so it'll still appear within it.
6. I take this back as well. It doesn't consume sprite slots, only OAM ones.
7. This problem is due to the IRQ code within the patch for some reason. Surely there is a better way to disable the IRQ without such issues.
Anyways, thank you for making this request! As someone who cares a lot about the vanilla SB, I'd love to see a proper sprite SB which has the same feeling. I just hope that like the original patch, it can be toggled per-level. I also hope it somehow doesn't break any vanilla elements like the Mode 7 bosses, because I care about those too.
Edit: For the fulfiller: please don't forget about the per-level tile and YXPPCCCT remap options for the status bar. You never know when it could come in handy.
--------------------My Mode 0 guide.
My Discord server.
It has a lot of archived ASM stuff, so check that out!