Hi there! This is my entry for VLDCX (My first for any VLDC, to be exact).
I've been working on this level for a week or two, but I've only gotten a bit of it done so far. Here, have a few screenshots.
As you can see, the gimmick of the level is swimming through bubbles floating in the air. Some bubbles are blue and pink, while others are green, meaning that they're poisonous. You will have to avoid these green bubbles throughout the level. There are also pipes that have bubbles emerging from them.
That's all I have for now. Feedback is appreciated!
I know. I kinda made the level that way. When I got the idea of the whole bubble thing, I wanted to make the level feel Kirby-like, but with a bit of a challenge (I added poisonous green bubbles to balance the difficulty). The premise of swimming in bubbles isn't very threatening, is it?
Originally posted by Vitor Vilela
I'd only worry with two things:
1. While your background is okay, I'd reduce the amount of red on it. It's too much hot.
2. Since the bubbles are completely transparent, if you make a large bubble, the level may get a bit confusing because you won't know if you're in a middle of a bubble or in air. Not sure what to do on this case. But it should not be a big issue, I guess.
Now, I did change the red to a blue in the background, but I actually added something to the bubbles. I added air bubbles inside the bubbles, as seen here:
This will probably fix the large bubble issue you pointed out, but I don't think I'll have a bubble of that size in the level anyways.
Bubbly Heights is almost complete! I just need to make and touch up on a few more things, and it'll be done.
Here are the final screenshots: (I think)
Expect the level to be complete around the following/next week. March 27 may still be a few weeks ahead, but I want to get this entry done soon so I can work on something that has yet to be revealed.
MISCELLANEOUS STUFF:(in technicolour)
- This level's theme is Athletic/Mountain/Abstract (maybe)
- This level will have a moon and Dragon Coins. There's no secret exit.
- The gimmick involves swimming through bubbles floating in the air.
You'll have to avoid fish, spinies, and poisonous green bubbles, while jumping from bubble to bubble, platform to platform in order to get to the end of the level.
- There will be Blue Switch Blocks.
- The HDMA gradient is fake. I haven't figured out how make a real one yet.
- There's no Layer 3. Haven't figured out how to make that either. :/
- Super Mario World
- Super Mario 64
- Super Mario 3D Land/World
- Super Mario Galaxy
- Super Mario Bros 1-3 + Lost Levels
- Kirby's Return to Dream Land
- Kirby Triple Deluxe
- Kirby Planet Robobot
- SMW2 Yoshi's Island
- Super Mario Odyssey- Oh, wait.