Banner
The Overworld Design Contest ends in
6 DAYS, 9 HOURS, 13 MINUTES AND 54 SECONDS
Views: 905,546,769
Time:
10 users online:  1UPdudes, Infinity, katun24,  KevinM, Mario is the best, PhantasyReal, qantuum, Scoutellite,  shovda, Vic Rattlehead - Guests: 47 - Bots: 75 Users: 50,757 (2,067 active)
Latest: Numble One Mushroom
Tip: Test your levels as all forms of Mario that can access it (such as different powerups in your hack, or Yoshi).
Not logged in.
Posts by Kazzzy
Kazzzy's Profile - Posts by Kazzzy
Pages: « 1 »
I've followed some tutorials and Googled some stuff and now I can't figure out what to do for the life of me.

I've found this forum post from 2015, but it doesn't ever explain how to change tiles from FG3 to BG2 and BG3 in the 16x16 tile map editor.
Also, I've found that importing a second palette overrides the first.

Anybody got a solution?

--------------------
95% chance that I'm bored. 5% chance that I'm very bored.
This thread looks like it's dead, but I just wanted to throw this out here. IMO, Super Paper Mario has a very underrated soundtrack. There are a lot of great songs from that game that haven't been ported, but Tile Pool seems best fit for a ROM hack. I've noticed that there aren't many really good underwater tracks (or I just haven't looked hard enough). If someone ports this, I'll make an infinite amount of water levels to this track.

REQUEST
NameSuper Paper Mario - Tile Pool
TypePort
SampledPreferably no, but if you have to, go for it.
MP3Link
MIDILink


--------------------
95% chance that I'm bored. 5% chance that I'm very bored.
Ey, thanks.

--------------------
95% chance that I'm bored. 5% chance that I'm very bored.
I'm assuming that it's not possible because the AN2 box in the Super GFX Bypass menu is level specific. Unless there's some menu option I'm not finding.

--------------------
95% chance that I'm bored. 5% chance that I'm very bored.
Yeah, I'm just gonna repeat what Gloomy and Emerald have already said.

Enemies, coins, and even item boxes seem to be strewn around with no real thought put into how the player will react. Don't get me wrong, I love coins, but there's a definite difference between placing three coins to show the player where to jump and lining out the trajectory of each jump.

You may get past that part shown in only a couple lives, and that's all okay. But take a segment of this level and imagine how a new player would react to the barrage of goombas, chucks, and winged koopas.

--------------------
95% chance that I'm bored. 5% chance that I'm very bored.
Definitely isn't a very complex design, but that's not a bad thing. I actually prefer more simple levels, but that's besides the point.
My only issue with the design so far is the mix between the ultra cartoonly/simple bush and the much more realistic bush and grass textures

That's only a very minor complaint, though. Keep up the good work, I'd like to see how this turns out.


editliterallyrightafteripublishedthispostohmygod: Maybe you could add those mole holes (whatever you call them) in the ground occasionally to better fit the main gimmick (which I'm guessing is moles)?

--------------------
95% chance that I'm bored. 5% chance that I'm very bored.
Wow, this one really blew me away when I first saw it. I especially love how such a simple palette change could convey completely different meanings.
I don't know if it's possible in a vanilla contest, but it'd be really cool if the two worlds were somehow linked. Like if turning on water in the top world made the underwater world underwater, letting you reach new areas.

Definitely looking to see how this level turns out.

--------------------
95% chance that I'm bored. 5% chance that I'm very bored.
Yes, I saw the witch. I think they were over here....

Who knew you could pack in so much creativity with tides and message blocks? Well, a lot of people actually, but not me! Interested to see what other cool setups you use with tides. Actually, most of these VLDC levels are cool, but this one gets points for wowing me just based on the concept alone.

--------------------
95% chance that I'm bored. 5% chance that I'm very bored.
Well, you're gonna have to use the graphics already in the original SMW ROM. This is a vanilla contest, after all.

--------------------
95% chance that I'm bored. 5% chance that I'm very bored.
Obligatory haven't finished it yet but am really enjoying it.

The difficulty is definitely more out of my comfort zone, but I don't hate playing it. Especially with all the separate paths and hidden goodies thrown in. I always love me some good exploration. The ancient temple was a HUGE difficulty spike (more like a i'm-gonna-make-a-really-hard-part-after-a-long-easy-part spike). I'm guessing that was intentional, but I'm hoping it gets made a little less infuriating. I can't remember if the Undercaves is a shortcut or not.
Besides that, it's been a fun, sometimes a little frustrating experience so far. I'm probably not going to get all the exits, though (just typing that made my stomach hurt).


...
It's almost midnight. I should probably stop playing for today and get some rest.




......

just one more level

--------------------
95% chance that I'm bored. 5% chance that I'm very bored.
I've been trying to fetch a sample from the beginning of Inside Volcano for a while now. I've tried using OpenMPT to get a good snippet of it, but whenever I try it always sounds like there's an obvious loop point (the volume goes up and down like tremolo). I've tried using crossfade with no luck.

The sample I'm trying to get is the long, low pitched sound at the beginning. The MIDI I'm using says it's a timpani, but it clearly isn't. The closest sample I've been able to find is the gong from Romancing SaGa 3, but that sample also sounds like it has tremolo.

Does anyone have any advice? Or a sample that I could use instead?

--------------------
95% chance that I'm bored. 5% chance that I'm very bored.
https://bin.smwcentral.net/u/36770/YI%2BSamples.zip

I've ripped the samples from Yoshi's Island and want to upload them, but I'm noticing that the !patterns file is causing problems with BRR player. When looking at other files, I see that there are three extra $XX's at the end, but don't know what I put in them. Any help?


because I sure ain't letting the 5 or so hours it took to rip all these samples go to waste

--------------------
95% chance that I'm bored. 5% chance that I'm very bored.
Hey, thanks.

--------------------
95% chance that I'm bored. 5% chance that I'm very bored.
Is it possible to change the coin SFX to channel #5 while leaving jump SFX on channel #7? I know AddmusicK moves SFX to different channels, so is there a way to change this? I tried to do it myself with the help of this old thread but I can't figure it out for the life of me (some day I'll best you..Assembly programming language..).

And for future reference, is it possible to separate individual SFX? (ex: separate jump and grinder SFX even though they're both on sound bank $7E:1DFA)

--------------------
95% chance that I'm bored. 5% chance that I'm very bored.
I was wondering why this hack took so long..I now know. Every single level in this hack is gorgeous!! Usually I prefer vanilla-like graphics, but these graphics..they're too good to ignore. I can't wait for this hack to release, it looks incredible.

--------------------
95% chance that I'm bored. 5% chance that I'm very bored.
Oh yes, an exploration theme is a perfect fit for graphics like these!! I hope Mario doesn't blend it too much with the background, though, because that may become an issue.

Also whaaaattt?? WhiteYoshiEgg..e--editing the Mario sprite?? Am I dreaming? Someone pinch me..

--------------------
95% chance that I'm bored. 5% chance that I'm very bored.
Is it possible to have a static layer 3 in the bottom half of the title screen and a moving (parallax) layer 3 in the top half? Kind of like how in levels the status bar is static but the background can move freely.

Layer 3 is relatively foreign to me, so forgive me in my lack of understanding (not like I have a good understanding of the rest of Lunar Magic either). 😅

--------------------
95% chance that I'm bored. 5% chance that I'm very bored.
Will these stages get names, or will they just be generic "World X - Level Y" kind of names?

--------------------
95% chance that I'm bored. 5% chance that I'm very bored.
How do you add ExAnimation to layer 3? I've seen others do it before but I can't figure it out for the life of me. I've found a thread about how to do it but I feel like I'm following all the steps and it's not working correctly.

This is my first time using ExAnimation but I followed the big tutorial MolSno did a while back and I don't feel like I'm doing something wrong..?

In the 8x8 Overworld Tile Selector, nothing shows up where I set the destination. Not even a mess of flashing tiles.

There are a lot of things that I might've done incorrectly, and I'm not sure which one it may be.

This is what my screen looks like currently (I put ExGFX80 in both AN2 and LG4): https://imgur.com/a/Moh0QAn

--------------------
95% chance that I'm bored. 5% chance that I'm very bored.
Pages: « 1 »
Kazzzy's Profile - Posts by Kazzzy

The purpose of this site is not to distribute copyrighted material, but to honor one of our favourite games.

Copyright © 2005 - 2021 - SMW Central
Legal Information - Privacy Policy - Link To Us


Menu

Follow Us On

  • YouTube
  • Twitch
  • Twitter

Affiliates

  • Super Mario Bros. X Community
  • ROMhacking.net
  • Mario Fan Games Galaxy
  • sm64romhacks