I have played through the game and I'm very happy to see improvement in this hack. I don't think the original was as bad as you and some others make it out to be. I played through it and imo it's a good hack but with some flaws, and it still blows a lot of the hacks on this website out of the water.
That said, I still have suggestions on how it could be made better.
- Custom Powerups | The first game had them and it gave it a lot of variety. NSMW2 seems regressive to the first without custom powerups.
- Shorten all the forest worlds into one forest world containing the best levels from all of them. It'd mean less worlds but at the same time it'd give the game more variety and it'd be easier than improving so many levels.
- World 14 needs improvement. Imo it's the most aesthetically-pleasing world out of all of them but it has the worst level design.
- 14-1 | Too much enemy spam.
- 14-2 | Good but the disappearing platforms were a cheap shot. There should've been a reset door or something.
- 14-3 | Spinners with fish. I feel this level was made in like, 3 minutes.
- 14-4 | The spinning orbs glitch through the walls and can be killed with a star, and the death sprite is glitched.
14-6 | The end boss is glitched. If you let it run away you're stuck and have no choice but to restart the level.
- I'm surprised there weren't any references to the first game. I think the bonus areas with the codes would've been a great way to cameo the 12 magic orbs, rather than having to get pen and paper and write down a code for world 16.
That's all I can think of anyway without nitpicking. I'm not very familiar with smw hacking but I have made Super Mario Bros X episodes in the past and have at least some experience with level design. I've learned that the things that make any video game good is a combination of emotion, variety, and story/difficulty progression. Every great video game/hack/whatever I've played made use of all 3 of those.
I found this video on YouTube claming to be the real SMW beta.
It seems incredibly fake. The Tanooki suit works the same as it does in other hacks, it has the dragon coin system (which wasn't shown in magazines) and some people pointed out it has the same sound errors as the original smw in zsnes.
But, it's not the Yoshi Master hack. The level design is completely different and there's a custom SMB3 exit coded in. I've searched high and low, the ROM for this is gone. Does anyone have any info about this? Like I said this isn't the Yoshi Master hack that everyone knows about.