I don't know if it's possible or if there is a solution for my idea ... in fact there is please let me know
Integrated Speedrun Timer
Whatever is required - (Statusbar)-Patch or UberASM Gamemode(?)
My idea is to have a Status Bar with a stopwatch to measure the exact time to finish a level (if you are familiar with Mario Maker 2: the timer from the ninji speedrun e.g.). Maybe this could be realised with the frame counter?! (I spied the RAM Map and saw something called framecounter - so my idea was that if there is a counter who could count the amount of frames it should be possible to use this as an accurate stopwatch).
Of course you can use some kind of external timer to measure the level time but I think that an intergrated solution has some advantages:
- very accurate (if it's possible to count the frames and translate them into time)
- easy to use (it's integrated, so every player could use this automatically)
- feasible for "stand-alone" setups (like playing on SNES Mini or any other console without using a PC)
In addition to the timer/stopwatch (main feature) I have some further ideas:
It would be cool if the measured level time could be stored and displayed on the Overworld. So if you travel from level to level on the overworld you could see your (best) level time for each level respectively.
A further improvement could be the summation of the each level time to get a total time (or something like a final ranking - total time divide by amount of played level or something like that) when you finished the last level of a hack.
- I think that an integrated Speedrun-Timer could potentially increase the amount of people who wants to speedrun level and compare their times with times from friend e.g.
- Perhaps an integrated timer could affect level creators to create special hacks around this feature (level with more than one possible paths with different advantages and drawbacks respectively (risky passages to improve level time e.g.))
I'm sorry I don't have any references (except the ninji speedrun from SMM 2).
So what do you think guys, cool/nope?