Mecha-Bowser has built a space station armed with a laser that will destroy the Mushroom Kingdom. Mario must press four switches to deactivate a force field and reach the station before the laser can be fired.
ASM Patches/Hex Edits
The Green and Yellow Worlds are playable from beginning to end.
Moderator note: after beating the hack, title screen displays 61 exits instead of 16.
Not a bad hack, but doesn't stand out either. Although the gameplay was simple and overall enjoyable, level structuring felt quite repetitive, i.e. mosts levels didn't feel distinctive on their own. There was practically no difficulty curve as almost all levels have about the same difficulty, which just worsens the repetitive structuring issue. Speaking of difficulty, bosses could be killed with almost no challenge involved. And last, but not least, level design and gimmicks don't bring out the full potential of the enemies and obstacles chosen.
However, the hack is aesthetically and musically clean and refreshing. Even though sprites weren't used to their fullest, you did a good job with the selection and level theming.
Some specific issues:
- Water is apparently coming from the sky in the grass/forest submap; graphically speaking, it doesn't make any sense.
- Pipe Down's level tile doesn't reveal after Spiny Grove's secret exit.
- I was constantly mistaking decoration with solid objects in some forest stages due to their dark outlines.
- I can access Poltergeist Pyramid even without passing CannOink Canyon first.
- Yoshi's GFX were quite messy and unpleasant to look at.
- Arid Athletics was a bit of a difficulty spike in the sense that it required jumps that only get reasonable with the assistance of a cape.
Overall a nice little hack that could improve on the level design variation and spritework departments. It's worth a shot though.