I'm a bit torn on this one. I do appreciate what was done here with the coding and attempts to be "scary", but overall, it wasn't that fun to play on its own. The fact that you die once and lose all your progress is stupid, considering how easy it can be to die due to a stupid mistake. The jump scares are cheap and hilarious attempts at being scary, and the death sound is quite annoying the second time and forward. Some areas did have a spooky atmosphere, especially in the garden, but making the area red and having screaming in the background doesn't really make me scared; it makes me laugh.
Overall, I appreciate the effort, but this isn't that interesting. Also, the ending was pretty lame in my book.
A great thematic hack, keeping a vanilla style graphics but with additional surprises! The ASM within it is nothing short of amazing!
The hack was a treat from beginning to end, always adding something new in every room, even the ones where you have been before, keeping you on your toes.
The graphics keep a vainilla style of SMW but with the additional edits to make it more "thematic" without going too far off to what is expected from SMW. The only times where the additional visuals were used where properly used.
The only issue (that has a easy workaround) was how easy is to die and lose all the progress. One could use save states and keep on going, but just pointing it out, some sort of check point could've been appreciated but again, easy to work around it.
The ASM and additional coding in this hack is the biggest feature for sure, keeping all the game fresh and keeping you expecting something new on every area and always delivering.
The ending was a bit anti-climatic and felt underwhelming. Not the highest point of the hack itself but a minor complain. Having a proper ending would've been nice.
I played it on my channel too, nothing too spectacular but just in case you're interested:
At any rate, I enjoyed it and I recommend playing it. Is quite the treat.
This game could have been a fun experience but there a far too many issues that make it more annoying than anything.
The first thing is the death sound.. It works as a first time scare for newer people but serves as an annoying sound you that makes you wanna keep a finger on the quickload key.
Second is the level design itself it's not too hard but alot of things can randomly kill you because you have no idea how that particular section operates (The elevator to the torture room that has super slick floors is a good example ). This would not be a glaring issue if the game had a checkpoint system, you die no matter how far you get you will be back at the very beginning. I know we have save states but unless this is kaizo we shouldnt have to depend on that.
Third and last issue I had was the breakable block in the garden, it's not a bad idea to hide some stuff but due to the color palette of the level the slightly darker brown of the tile was almost impossible to see and I only found it at random using spin jump to avoid dying by the boo.
Now the game was not all bad there were some things I did enjoy.
1) The Soundtrack for the BGM was pretty good and set a pretty scary mood.
2) The Boss fight was not too hard but it was a challenge.
3) The Color Pallet was a good choice and worked well with the mood o the game
The enemies designs were ok Im not a fan of the bloody boos all the time but they work.
On a final note the biggest issue you should patch is the lack of checkpoints and make the elevator level shorter those are my biggest gripes.
As of right now I give this game 3/5 its not bad but needs some things worked out.
I don't really get the high rating at all. This wasnt very enjoyable to play. Not because it was "2spooky4me", which it wasn't, it's just not very well designed horror.
There are some obvious design flaws here:
1) The player restarts from the very beginning when they die. This is terribly punishing especially when it's too dark to even see where holes are in some places.
2) The platforming in itself isn't terribly fun at all, and this coupled with darkness makes it rather unfair. The Boo elevator and boss were particularly bad, thanks to the generator and Big Boo causing the reflecting Boo line to disappear with them, leaving the player literally blind as to where it's going to go. The Boo elevator itself was boring and overlong. You have no idea where the boos are going to spawn -- that is, until you figure out all you have to do is move slightly right and then slightly left from the spawn position to avoid them. Only when it's new to the player does it work as an obstacle, and when it does work it seems entirely unfair and not fun.
3) The horror elements aren't interesting. This hack is really cliched in terms of atmosphere (btw having the p-switch music play completely disrupts that) and theme. I'm afraid there's not much you can do about that, franchises like Mario don't necessarily make for the most immersive horror in the first place. Simply put, it's hard to take seriously, especially if you're not in the "creepypasta" demographic. I suppose there would be at least one way to improve on this though: Don't use the exact same jumpscare multiple times. Any impact the first one had is lost around the 4th time. Not sure what impact the screamers made on me anyways! The Mario face one before the boss got a laugh out of me, but I have just a hunch that humour was not what you were going for with this hack. It'd probably be best not to use elements from actual creepypastas, especially ones that people around here aren't so enthused about any more.
Not much else to say really, this was a nice little experience, which you put quite a bit of effort into, especially for the short time it was in development. I'm kind of immune to jumpscares, but they were still kind of freaky nonetheless. Good job ;)
Which "translators" do I need to use for all the "strings" of letters and numbers? I already put all of them in a hex to text converter, and all I got was SACRIFICE for the first piece of "code", everything else is just random characters.
Niko for the love of god we get it, you don't like horror hacks and you haven't touched the hack, stop pointing it out.
Anywho, unlike some people I actually had the guts to play this and I got through it til the end. Never expected an actual SMW ROM hack to be this frightening. Dying on its own was already terrifying enough.
Great hack, great addition to the Halloween hacks collection.