This patch lets you use VWF text boxes like in some old SNES RPGs. So far, it's rather complicated to use because there is no GUI application to set up text, but the manual is pretty detailed, so you should be alright if you read it carefully.
Most of the changes in version 1.2 were contributed by ExE-Boss and randomdude999 via my GitHub.
Version 1.2 changes:
This is now an SA-1 hybrid patch
Completely overhauled the Readme - it now looks nicer and some of the outdated information in it was updated (it's also called "manual" now)
The patch now uses a coding style that's more in-line with my other patches - most configurable settings are now in vwfconfig.cfg
A few bug fixes
Added a script for generating width tables
Some more stuff (see history in manual for details)
Requires Asar v1.50 or newer.
Requires 33,038 bytes of free RAM. By default, they're mapped to SRAM (a SRAM expansion is applied to the ROM automatically). Requires a variable amount of free space, depending on the amount of text and graphics you insert into your ROM with it. Expect around a full bank of free space to be taken at minimum by average use of this patch.
I'm having trouble with applying this patch. I keep getting an error message that includes
warning (W1026) Function "floor" redefined
and many variations on error (E5053) regarding remap RAM
function remap(X) etc wasn't found
I'm assuming this is a problem with the path- I've tried to paste files from the "shared" and "includes" folders everywhere to avoid this problem, but I'm still getting this error message. I would be very grateful for any help on this.
A great replacement for Romi's VWF Cutscene Tool, although for me, the text box is glitchy at first blush and can take around two or three dialogues to show up correctly in Higan (and not at all in SNES9x).
Great update. Much friendlier and cleaner compared to the older versions. I also appreciate the new updates made after some of my suggestions, and the width generator is pretty handy for custom text drawers/rippers. Thanks!
I wrote more stuff here regarding the abort dialogue function for those interested or curious about it.
Note @Blind Devil: We tried to incorporate most of your feedback given in the previous removal log, but decided against some of it.
We didn't bother too much fixing any 16-bit mode stuff and instead decided to deprecate it, since probably noone uses it.
I did not get rid of the .cfg file, because it being separate from the .asm was precisely the point. I wanted the end user to not have to open the .asm file at all to customize the patch, unless doing advanced stuff.
We also weren't able to fix some of the bugs yet, but made sure to mention them in the manual.