I feel like this hack has some lost potential. Some secrets were nice, some where just "check every pipe thats available". I've had harder secrets that were fair.
I'll just list my personal pros and cons:
- Mostly fitting custom music, sometimes funny
- Lots of secrets and really nice overworld design
- Nice work with the colors, palletes and use of graphics
- Exploring in the levels was fun, there were multiple routes you could take.
Now with the cons..
- The music was getting very repetitive after some time, and its always the same style. Was nice at the beginning, boring later. Also lots of reused tracks throughout the hack.
- The untouched switch palaces. Maybe it was intentional to leave some kind of impression to the story and other levels, but i found that just leaving them as is was the worst choice.
- The dark design. Same as before, nice at the beginning, kinda got annoying after some time.
- No real ending, it just stopped. Could've been a bit more exciting.
- Maybe i'm just too dumb, but i didnt quite get the lore or message the hack wanted to deliver.
Conclusion: About 3/5.
As i said, i feel like this hack could've been a lot better, if there was a clearer goal in mind what you wanted it to be. Sometimes things were on spot, but at the end i was a bit disappointed.
I really like those kinds of hacks because they're different from the others, but i kinda missed the point of all of this.
it's really confusing what this guy tried to deliver. it's not because meanings are hidden in cryptic and clever way, but because of his poor vocabulary skills and attempt for dealing with doubtfully "philosophical" subjects.
it's just so strange. unfitting musics and letters upon the backgrounds talking about love is there whole time. is this supposed to be creepy? for that matter neither it doesn't actually try to spook me.
you would be confused as much as I am, once you beat the world 7, or watching every secrets from Youtube video. but still nothing makes sense. honestly it felt like this was made by someone have mild issues.
I really liked this hack. It certainly had some certain err "Moments" though. However some of them seemed justified due to the dark nature of this hack. Music was really good I particularly liked the ship theme. HOWEVER the odyssey theme certainly began to get irritating after about the 20th time.
Secrets were at times hard to find but after you figure out a few of them you get the hang of the hacks style of secret hiding.
Sometimes text could be quite hard to understand and I think more then once I was left feeling like I completely misunderstood what I read. (less at the beginning more so at the end)
The only BIG negative I had with this hack was after finding every secret, most of them hyping up the ending. and then just nothing. No final Boss. Is the game finished? It was a total let down.
Due to my one negative (spoiler) with this game I'm going to give it a 4/5.
Zsnes v 1.51 (used because of better music compatibility with most SMWC patches)
-odd moments where the game would go black after hitting a block requiring a reset. Happened at random.
-If music in a level sped up and you cleared the stage. All music would be sped up until entering a level you've beaten and start selecting out.
-small Mario can't get out of the water between the skinny pipes in the level before the yellow switch.
Some good gameplay was hindered by the overly dark color causing solid/not solid harder to differentiate along with lines that saws run on. Secret exits were overly complicated and the overworld was a maze Some graphics were glitchy and the penis level (and monkey scene) was just odd. Difficulty was not a linear progression and there isn't much of an ending.