After almost two and a half years, Superstar Mario World is finally finished
This is a traditional styled hack. With 7 Worlds and over 50 Levels. The plot is your typical Mario plot, but this time, Bowser has also kidnapped the Yoshies and Luigi!
Special thanks to RussianMan for testing and fixing lots of asm issues and such. Have fun!
- Fixed small typos.
- Removed the centerscroll patch.
- removed lives.
- 100 coins gives you a star now.
- removed the darken pause patch.
- removed the circular fadein patch.
- Added a skip function in most cutscenes.
- Added the DKC2 navigation arrow patch.
- Applied the Overworld speed changer patch that was already in the demo.
- removed the lava ceiling in "hot hot underworld".
- gave background tiles like cacti and icicles a faded outline.
- Fixed the teleportation to level 104 in "Beat em up". Thanks RussianMan!
- Torchie, the rhino boss, can now be defeated with fireballs.
- lowered the number of fireballs Torchie spawns.
- Removed the ceiling on the FryGuy boss, since the hopping flames can get stuck in the pipe and glitch to the top.
- Removed the giant buzzy beetle's stun when hitting a wall and changed it's arena.
- Fixed FryGuy's, Puffero's, giant beetle's and bowser jr's hitboxes.
- Removed some tight parts on the final boss.
- Lowered the health of the bosses in the last level and the final boss.
- Changed up the first three phases of the final boss.
- The final boss has now an own level and a midway point.
- removed some unnecessarily hard and unfair things (eerie generators, spikes, 1 tile platform jumps, etc.) in the special world levels.
- Fixed an issue in a special world level where you couldn't proceed
- removed Bowser jr. from the final level.
- Cutscenes are now skippable with R, since people can accidentally skip them with x and y.
Good hack. While i don't like the 'star at 100 coins system', it's not a bad idea i guess, just a personal taste. Got me killed one time tho, when i needed to spin on an enemy and i collected the coin above him and killed the neccesary enemy. Not cool. Also worth mentoning are the slowdowns in some levels. Sometimes they are short and not too bad, sometimes they are really, really bad and that for several seconds. Also not cool.
Levels are good for the most part. There are some boring ones here and there, but especially later in the game, the levels use their gimmicks pretty nicely and give me a challenging experience to go through. Haven't beaten it 100% atm, beaten the main game and one level from the special world with all exits in the main game.
The bosses are not good. Not horrible enough to lower my rating tho. Last boss (in the main game) was amazing tho. But that's it.
this hack is really awesome!!! only complaint is that in the level "Ice Cold Run" I died multiple times from collecting 100 coins (which gives you a star) so that I couldn't jump on the required koopa! fixing that mistake would make it much cleaner
Wow. Th only complaint I have with this hack is the custom bosses. First off, you throw me five easy levels in W1 and W2. Burn right through them. The bosses add a pretty brutal difficulty curve. They're not fun and overpowered. If you were striving for a much harder difficulty, then I' understand. But how easy the first and second levels are say otherwise. I recommend taking out the tremors that make you freeze in the first one and give the player a little more time to grab the koopas before they FALL OFF THE EDGE, which wasn't even needed, just an unfair and lazy way to make it harder.
EDIT: There is one other thing I'd like to point out - the 100 coins give you star thing has loads of gameplay flaws. For example - In "Ice Cold Run" there is a part where you're required to jump onto a koopa to get across a gap. When I did so, the coin trail telling me to jump on it put my coins over 100, giving me the star. When I got it, I fell right through the koopa. I reccomend you taking that mechanic out completely or putting less coins.
Dude, straight up, this is an amazing hack. Frustrating in the special world for sure, but that's due to the challenge rather than anything cheap. I actually didn't use a single save state outside of the special world (I started using it during the Arena stage due to major frustration, and to skip the final final boss's intro. A bit t0o lengthy given the way you're meant to fight it).