This hack is meant as a way of having fun and for beginner in kaizo to feel good about doing cool-looking tricks without being punished or stressed that easily. However there are a few kaizo blocks in the later parts of the hack. As well as some trolls.
I will never claim that this hack is great but I strongly believe that this should be on the playlist for all beginners in kaizo.
The hack contains 13 exits including 2 hidden switch palaces and one hidden side quest (11 levels in total, 3 secret exits), it also has 2 "hidden" 3-up moons. Levels are quite short but containing a few kaizo tricks. Levels become more challenging closer to the end but still on an adequate level for those who want a beginners kaizo-hack.
Worldpeace's retry patch and Alcaro´s double spinjumo antifail patch has been implemented.
[Updated to v1.4
Vertival lava autoscroller is improved greatly! You now spawn inside the sublevel and it is made better.
fixed some cutoffs, ,
new secret level => 2 extra exits = 13 in total,
made it harder to cheese the yoshi jump in Window cleaners
changed inferiour decorator to make it better in my opinion
small changes to improve playability
Smaller aestetich improvements.
Added two collactable 3-up moons.
Added double spinjump antifail patch by Alcaro
[updated to version 1.3, a lot of changes, replaced one level and added/changed a lot of things on the other levels. Power-Up counterbreak is now applied, for more details read update.txt in zip file]
[This review refers to version 1.4 of Super Peggy World]
In my opinion this is a really great (close to perfect) hack for beginners:
- it has levels of managable length with well chosen checkpoints and clear distinction of 1st and 2nd half as well as a good balance of "action/resting points"
- all levels feel unique and diverse
- coin trails and indicators are helpful
- neat kaizos and trolls
- quick retry/exit
- music is cool, fits the levels & makes playing more enjoyable. Going on even as you die is the way!
- lore is unrivaled
(- an autoscroller that i loved. And i hate autoscrollers (like most) lol)
I checked some older versions and am truly impressed by the reworking:
Skinning, music, rearrangings obstacles, no obnoxious waiting times other folks commented on. One can see that you truly took the advice to heart and spent time on these improvements.
A few things tho that stood out to me:
1) It maybe just me, but the second switch palace seems 10 times easier than the first one: You basically have just to dance on the disco and get trolled once, whereas in the first one you can die nearly everywhere. Maybe simply interchange the levels?
2) Alot of people seem to be surprised by the sudden difficulty-spike in the beginning section of "2.2 Fire Brigade". Even upon playing the hack again, i can't exactly pinpoint, what causes this... Perhaps the sudden timed/mid-air shell jumps all within other obstacles? Could insert a (non-obligatory) training level for beginners.
3) "2.3 Chip an' Dale": The first turn block in the second half can be cleared without purple blocks. Just jump on the second naked Koopa to hit the turn block and go on. It's not a problem since the mole acts as an autoscroller, just wanted to let you know. (Although if you want to force the use of the purple block, you might edit a kaizo block under the turn block?)
4) In "3.1 Window cleaners" the first "guided rope" is somewhat glitchy. Sometimes when i grab it, it goes on track, but i stay where i grabbed it and fall to death (or can only regrab it on the low end). I tried to replicate this, but don't know, if it's due to p-speed, pressing weird on d-pad or grabbing to high.
5) My main grief, relly:
If you only change one thing to vers 1.5 please let it be the following:
In "Sea Scouts" we go through: a) fish wall, b) chuck forth and back + killing, c) Luring Rip van fish to the left. At best pace this takes 50 seconds! Please laugh at me, if i did anything wrong, but that's ridicolous to just die to item swimming afterwards, especially if the time from picking the block to going right is so tight. I will not spend 1 minute on every retry, sorry, i value my time somewhat, especially if the first part of this isn't even difficult. (I used savestates (not proud) and in this case not because i don't trust my abilities, but because i lack interest in spending time on "nothing".)
Remodel the first part, so after Rip van fish, you go through a pipe/some kind of checkpoint and after that you have your item swimming passage. For this, even the first part might rise slightly in difficulty and then i could also approve of the whole second part as well as the last two fish-"walls" spawning so early.
Aside from the neglegible (and one big) complaints this hack is highly recommandable for all beginners (and all kaizo-players ofc).
Thanks smasken and hopefully you're already working on "Peggy 2"
This was fun up until the lava level with the shells, which seems to require maneuvers I never even came close to pulling off and which are not introduced well for "beginners" to learn. Very frustrating and not in a way that made me want to retry, unlike the rest of the hack, which always seemed doable with enough tries.
I gave up at that point, I feel the difficulty spike is way beyond anything else in the hack and it's a bit of a downer.
Really fun hack. My only issue is that there's a couple of blind jumps and it kind of ruins the fun when you die to something that you couldn't see coming. other than that, great hack and i would recommend
This was the first hack(1.3) I beat without savestates and I love it. A great entry point for people looking to get in to these types of hacks.
I'm playing through again and I just noticed 2 minor small things.
In the first switch palace, you can softlock if you clip the p switch through the blocks at the very beginning of the level. I don't think that's likely to happen unless you're going super fast.
In the Dognapper, with the section with the shell going between the two on/off blocks, if you jump off the first platform a bit too early, the on/off block despawns and won't get hit, even when it seems like it should.
This was a very fun hack to play through. The soundtrack was good and platforming was fun but in some parts you had to wait (quite a bit) which disrupted the flow. Overall, solid first hack. I would recommend this to someone who's looking for a hack with same difficulty as quickie world.