This is a replacement for the M64ROMExtender and adds a few new features. It is written in C and compiles for Windows and Linux 32/64 bit (probably OSX as well, but untested). I released it under the MIT license so it can be included in any of your projects.
By default, it creates a 64MB extended ROM that is bit compatible with the extended ROM that M64ROMExtender1.3B generates and further extended to 64MB (before the patches are applied by SM64 Editor). I have tested the resulting extended ROMs with SM64 Editor 2.0.x and Toads Tool 64 v0.6.8S.
- configurable extended ROM size (default 64 MB)
- configurable padding between MIO0 blocks (default 32K)
- configurable MIO0 block alignment (default 1 byte)
- option to fill original MIO0 blocks with 0x01
- built-in ROM header CRC computation (non-GPL!)
- works with US, European, Japanese, and Shindou ROMs (plays in emulators, but TT and level importer only work with (U) ROMs)
- small: 12KB binary
- fast: extends in < 0.5 seconds
M64ROMExtender compatible features:
- accepts Z64 (BE) or V64 (byte-swapped) ROMs as input
- fills extended area with fills with 0x01
- inserts 32 KB padding between MIO0 blocks
- decompresses all MIO0 blocks from ROM to extended area
- changes all 0x18 commands to 0x17
- creates MIO0 headers for all 0x1A commands
- updates assembly reference to first MIO0 block
- dumps MIO0 blocks to 'mio0files' directory
Just drag-and-drop SM64 ROM on the executable for default settings or run from the command prompt specifying these options:
sm64extend [-a ALIGNMENT] [-p PADDING] [-s SIZE] [-d] [-f] [-v] FILE [OUT_FILE]
-a ALIGNMENT byte boundary to align MIO0 blocks (default: 1)
-p PADDING padding to insert between MIO0 blocks in KB (default: 32)
-s SIZE size of the extended ROM in MB (default: 64)
-d dump MIO0 blocks to files in 'mio0files' directory
-f fill old MIO0 blocks with 0x01
-v verbose progress output
FILE input ROM file
OUT_FILE output ROM file (default: replaces FILE extension with .ext.z64)
If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to post them on the github project page. Since it is MIT licensed, I welcome you to include the source or binaries in your projects - just include a copy of the license file.
The additional GUI layer is created by Davideesk, made to be a much nicer alternative to the CMD prompt, though that option is still usable.
Tested only within Windows 10, according to the submission parameters.
Ok, I tested all of the tool's functionalities, both GUI and command-line. In all the cases, the resultant ROM was run normally in Project64 v.1.6 and in Toad's Tool. Since I didn't find any bugs when running the tool... I can safely accept this.
One last thing: Added converted .txt files for the license and readme. After all, the tool is also to be executed on Windows, but the text files included were for UNIX users.