Tip: If your level contains elements that temporarily change the music to a global song (such as a P-Switch or a Star), said music will not stop playing after the intended end time if the music bypass setting is set to 00.
This is a patch that allows you to swap what animations the different "smoke cloud" animations use in SMW.
There are four distinct type of cloud animations in the game, all of which are slightly different.
This patch will make it so you can assign each of the unique animations to any of the *other* types. This aims to improve consistency with different smoke animations if someone wishes to redraw the graphics.
In addition to simply adjusting the animations, it *also* will allow you to assign the different smoke images to any of the 8 sprite palette sets, in case you aim to include more detailed smoke sprites in your hack.
You can also use it to optimize certain things -- Bullet Bill smoke sprites have 4 total slots, and they are used very frequently. If too many of them are on-screen, some important cues may be lost. As such, assigning the "Fireball" animation to those sprites will clear out slots a lot quicker.
Tested with: Lunar Magic 3.21, asar 1.71, SA-1 1.32, Snes9x 1.60.
I don't know how many people will find a use for this, but if you want to easily change what animation the different kinds of smoke use, then this is for you. Before accepting I fixed a couple issues (a missed |!addr and the fireball smoke using the !ReznorSmokePal and !ReznorSmokePage defines instead of its own). Also a couple additional notes:
- The bridge breaking smoke doesn't seem to be affected by the Reznor smoke defines (it always seems to use the default blaster smoke).
- There's a few missed hex edits for the smoke timer edits:
• $00FB9F: Smoke from sprites turning into a prize at the goal.
• $01D02E: Smoke after Morton/Roy/Ludwig's have shrunk enough during their death animation.
• $028A60: Smoke used by Sumo Bro's lightning, Reznor's bridge breaking effect and P-Switch spawned from blocks.
Edit: another quirk I forgot to mention is that changing the Lakitu Cloud's evaporation animation will also affect the normal cloud animation (making it faster), so it's recommended to leave the default one.