Ever since his best friend Yoshi disappeared, Mario has had visions of a mysterious switch and one recurring thought: "Four YUMPs". Not knowing what it all means, but feeling it has something to do with Yoshi's troubling absence, Mario sets off on a quest to perfectly jump off of four Palace Switches in hopes of finding answers and maybe even his lost friend.
"4 YUMPs For Yoshi" is a kaizo-light hack that features:
- Game mode select: choose between "STANDARD" and "YUMPS ONLY" mode (see changelog for details)
- 4 fast-paced levels aimed at intermediate kaizo players
- Non-linear gameplay. Play any level from the start!
- Frequent checkpoints
- A variety of fun* chocolate mechanics
- Many QoL features such as: autosave, fast retry, start+select to exit any level
- A bangin'** custom soundtrack
- A story (if you care about that sort of thing)
- An absurd but optional challenge that I don't really mind if you save-state to beat!
*Fun is subjective and also not guaranteed
**Bangin' is not subjective and is definitely guaranteed
This hack was started less than two weeks ago as an entry for Global Game Jam 2021 with the theme "Lost and Found". I finished mostly everything except the final level over the course of 5 days, then spent the last week completing the hack and polishing everything to smwc's and my own standards. I hope you enjoy it!
- Adjusted a setup in Bloody Palace to be less confusing and to prevent cheese
- Adjusted a setup in Cursed Palace to make an alternate strat easier
- Prevented greenbean skip. Greenbeans need love too
- Made secret greenbean less secret (no one found it)
- Put a leash on an urchin
- Added cheat detection for saving Yoshi. Yes, really
- Added game mode select: "STANDARD" mode plays the same as v1.0, but in "YUMPS ONLY" mode you are required to YUMP off of each palace switch in order to clear the level. Thanks to wiiqwertyuiop for the asm to make this possible
- Adjusted beginning of Starlight Palace
- Adjusted some indicators
- Improved switch room aesthetics in each level
- Shortened Flooded Palace switch room
- Fixed minor graphical glitch on the overworld when entering levels
- Removed counterbreak because why not
- Added version number to title screen
- Other minor tweaks