In this hack your objective is to collect 99 coins in each level. Each level has its own gimmick, such as automatically walking forward, everything being frozen and Mario having infinite fire-flower but limited ammo, a literal metroidvania level, medium auto-scroller with infinite winged Yoshi and an Warioware rip-off.
This new version adds five more levels, one level 90% remade with new gimmick, and lots of improvements to old levels. And it finally has an name too!
Version 1.4 changes:
Many improvements and changes, see readme for full list.
I don't play SMW romhacks especially often, so progress on this one has been slow. Nevertheless, this hack is always a treat when I do find myself playing it.
"Gimmick" is often a dirty word in video game criticism because gimmicks frequently conflict with core mechanics and established traditions. While it would be hard to call this hack anything other than "gimmicky", this hack's most remarkable quality is that evades this pitfall. At all times I feel as if I'm playing the same game I played and replayed endlessly in my youth, but new mechanics both keep the experience fresh and facilitate more interesting and nuanced forms of fun. This is exactly what an SMW romhack should do: it should exploit the tried-and-true mechanics of one of gaming's most beloved titles while expanding their possibilities beyond the confines of decades past.
Highly recommended, 5/5.
1. Thank you
2. It's harder than your typical SMW level as its denser(less flat, wide areas with nothing on them), but I don't think it's that hard, especially with the HP system.
3. They are just extra challenge/stuff to collect, they don't unlock anything. I couldn't think of anything meaningful to add, other than some extra level but at the end of making this I was tired of it, so I set myself an achievable goal and not bloat it.
4. the game auto-saves when you step on a tile on overworld, so if you exit the level and don't move then the game is not saved, that's how the "Overworld Indicators" patch sets it up.
I haven't completed this hack yet, but a few things:
1) I like it. I like it a lot.
2) It's definitely on the harder end of Standard: Normal. The first level (Traditional) seems to present itself as a romp but it can be easy to die if you don't exercise caution. I suspect that it was not intended to be as difficult as it was since I found the levels immediately after it to be easier.
3) I don't know if the moons and dragon coins unlock anything, but if they don't, they should.
4) The game only seems to save after the player completes a 100 coin mission in a level for the first time. I had to do the dragon coin mission in "Climb" twice because of this.
Its by pulsar, download link doesn't seem to work anymore but heres mirror: https://bin.smwcentral.net/u/25888/Noma%2Bbrain%2Bpower%2Bby%2Bpulsar.zip
No idea about the crashing issue, it never crashed on me when testing on snes9x and real hardware with super everdrive, and neither for patcdr who tested it on his snes and sd2snes flashcard. But the patch I used for it is abandoned alpha so there isn't much I can do about it, I did put request for better/modern version of it but so far nothing .