Falling asleep after a hard day's work, Mario finds himself in a dream with both familiar and foreign worlds merging and meshing into one another. Unable to wake up from this odd walk down memory-lane, he must continue advancing forward, wherever it may lead him.
This project was created over the span of a month for SMWC's 2021 Hackjam, as an homage to SMB1+SMB2j and various retro games. Enjoy this terrible experiment.
This is a great hack. There's certainly a couple spots that feel rather infuriating (along with the fact that one-block-wide jumps are much more difficult with SMB physics) but it's amazing overall. Thanks for making this, I quite enjoyed it.
I apologize to you, the creators of this amazing Mario World hack, that I don't have much to say about it.
But what I have to say is that this hack impressed me for the level design, the soundtrack, etc. But what really impressed me was the spaceship games, this is the first time I've seen this in a Super Mario World hack. Seriously, congratulations are in order, keep it up!!
Kind of been out of the SMW hacking loop for a while, but this one is pretty cool! Haven't finished yet (I'm paused on 8-3) but so far it's quite difficult. Some thoughts so far:
• I think it's cool that coins and lives actually matter in this hack for hard mode players. It actually makes me want to look for bonus rooms, which is rare for any hack.
• SMB1 physics make the running-and-jumping more slippery and "committed". You really need to commit to your jumps when midair movement is so stiff. I am tempted to just run through the levels. One section in 8-3 almost seems to demand constant running and well-timed jumps, otherwise the next couple jumps become a lot harder with Nipper plants. I just got through it but man, that's tough.
• Attempting to do a one credit clear on hard is extremely daunting. Not sure if I have the time to dedicate to it right now.
• The mish-mash of music and graphical choices feel weird at first, but I like that it gives the feeling of a strange bootleg video game. It looks and sounds good overall.
• The parallax-scrolling BGs are always a welcome sight too.
• Don't want to spoil too much, but there's a singular obstacle in a World 4 level that's absolutely awful and rude, but funny too. If you know, you know.
• Unfortunately, single tile jumps feel awful in this hack, but I guess that's SMB1 physics for you.
• Also, I swear the downward pull from bottomless pits in the water is way stronger in this hack than in the real SMB1.
EDIT: What the hell is this jump on 8-4??? I am getting sucked into one of the spike sprites every time
I tried the OG treatment for the first two worlds and gave up after seeing 3-3. But the hack was still wonderful when giving myself a save after each level. Very fun, and even the most daunting obstacles in the levels can be overcome. Great work!