Views: 845,434,837 Time: 2020-08-15 08:39:16 PM
18 users online:
, Anorakun , brickblock369 , Carld923 , Dark Prince , DasFueller , Ezek.The Square Remixer , Ginyu AL , Green Jerry , h.carrell , katun24 , Knight of Time , Kori , LadiesMan217 , LOLRyan2006 the Goombud , Nint , P-Tux7 , Sokobansolver - Guests: 57 - Bots: 62 Tahixham
Users: 46,497 (2,736 active) Latest: peepee123
Tip: Do you want to make fancy HDMA but don't know ASM? Worry no more, because with Effect Tool, fancy HDMA effects can easily be created. Not logged in.
2015-07-28 07:10:58 PM
, CoinBandit Kiki-mewmew
Yeah, the new and improved Hakurankai is now finished. The full version will be available on
when it is finished.
fixme: Broken midway points.
Mod note: There isn't a save for this hack because all levels are accessible from the beginning and you can get only one exit.
fixme, vanilla, variety
1.7 (Votes: 3)
Download - 100.44 KiB
Berk begins his review below with "this hack has great potential", but i'm not sure were that comes from.
The levels are boring and uninspired, lack backgrounds, have unfitting music, and have random degrees of difficulty, length, and secrecy.
The one thing I can say positive about it is the cleverly hidden pipe in that lava level.
It seems like a hack that is far from finished, like early alpha stage-- Overall it's just awful.
Metallis 2018-08-22 08:52:33 PM | Link
This hack has a
great potential, but needs work.
Level design has its ups and downs. I'd say the first level is the peak - the exit was incredibly clever. Your secret exits are well thought, too. They actually feel like secrets unlike in many other levels. The levels feel pretty well thought too. For example, in the cave level with the Bowser Statues, the way to get to the exit was... unusual, but nice. Very nice job, I'd love to see more from you.
Even though the levels usually feel well thought, as I said before, it has its downs too. The biggest offender would be emptiness - in some of the switch halls, you do nothing but run to the right, in the level with p-switches, you do nothing but run for a bit, in this level, you run and jump and do nothing else - and this isn't all - this hack has more emptiness. Some enemies or obstacles at least would have been quite nice.
Another big offender is broken midway points. If you die, you may start in a pit and have no chance but delete your save and restart if you want to finish this level. Because of this, this hack isn't very no savestate friendly.
One of the more minor issues would be the yoshi coins (or grey coins in this hack). They feel very randomly put to me. Again, it's not very major, but having two yoshi coins very close to each other or having them in places you have to pass makes them feel less like a challenge.
Now, for level specific issues:
- I don't really get the point of this door - the one you find later leads you to the same place - I was expecting it to be a secret exit or something. It's impossible (I think?) to enter it too.
- Shamelessly copypasting from APPALLED: (read it if you haven't) Originally posted by APPALLED The perfect example would probably be those boo circles you see in ghost houses. Don't overuse them, and be careful when you 25. Don't depend on enemies that make players wait and nothing more. do use them. All players can do in a boo circle is wait until the opening cycles around so they can continue. They usually need to be used in combination with something- regular boos or a powerup block, for example- so that players aren't just sitting around for several seconds. Alternately, you could try increasing the rotation speed or opening up multiple gaps in the chain.
The point I'm trying to make is that when players are just waiting, they aren't really thinking about much, so they're hardly even playing the game until that opening lines up and they can continue. In really bad situations, it's hardly any better than a loading screen.
Aesthetically, it's not very impressive:
- In this overworld, there are a few perspective errors, and I'm not a fan of the water being nothing but a solid color.
- The water being nothing but a solid color applies here too - not a fan of it. It also could use some more decorations and variety.
- I'm not a fan of levels not having backgrounds even though they don't have layer 2. It looks bland and boring without them. And if you are using layer 2, you can still use layer 3 - SMW has some layer 3 backgrounds.
- Glitchy switches.
- SMW's original bonus level tileset would probably look better than cement blocks here.
- These sprites don't have the correct graphics.
- Not an issue - I just gotta say that I love the background. I haven't seen a colorful cave background like yours before - I love it. Nice job.
Also, I don't get why the star warps you to the original levels?
Overall, even though it has potential, it could be better. Voted 3 stars because there are some major issues.
This hack is eligible for a "Hack Fixer" badge for having broken midway points despite working fine on all emulators.
Berk 2015-07-28 06:51:31 PM | Link