The first hack designed by Awesomeman.
Despite it being rough around the edges, it has some very creative level design.
This is also a team hack as I helped make it also.
This is a fixed version, the last one had some glitches I missed before. fixme: the pipe after the level "Twomp Castle" won't allow the player to come back. It ends up in you being stuck in a part of the OW.
This hack was a more or less one. It started great but it ended up being very repetitive and unfun.
Design-wise, pretty much what I said already: the first levels were enjoyable and pretty well designed. This hack was promising... until you get to the mid-end of the hack, where the author kept abusing the P-Switch gimmick, ending up being extremly repetitive. Some puzzle levels were easily breakable (sometimes I farmed 3-4 P-Switches where I wasn't supposed to), and most of them were poorly designed. The difficulty curve is weird: hard levels mixed with normal-like levels all over the hack. I'd say this hack is normal overall, since the author was generous with lives and powerups, although some sections are terribly frustrating. Overall, indeed... great at the beginning, very bad at the end.
Aesthetic-wise, it's interesting, I haven't seen maky hacks with this style. Although, cutoff and bad paletting is present here and there, but it's not a very bad thing. Most of the times, the aesthetics were pleasing, and I liked them. Good job to the author of the base rom.
- "Forest Siege" is almost unbeatable, since the P-Switch glitches with Sumo bros.'s flames.
- In the OW, the pipe before "Colourblind Corner" doesn't work. I feel like this hack needs a fixme just for this, since you can keep blocked in a part of the OW forever.
- "Thwomp Kingdom" doesn't trigger any event.
- Seems that the author sometimes used Yellow and Green switch palace blocks here and there; too bad there are no switch palaces....
- Some major slowdown occuring in some levels, as well as sprite tile limits issues.
Overall, a good hack which falls apart after you reach the middle of it.