This is something that I had been meaning to do for.. several years now, but finally, a month ago I managed to port Luigi's physics from Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World
back to the original SNES game we all know and love (cough).
So, I present you Super Luigi World
, to be patched to the japanese version of SMW.
To be clear, it's the vanilla game, but player 1 is Luigi.
Alternatively, I have also included this feature in my SMW Advanced hack here
, which aims to recreate the level modifications from SMA2.
- In the Luigi version, both players have Luigi physics.
- In the Mixed version, only Player 2 has Luigi physics.
- You can guess what the Mario version is.
Maybe I'll merge all the modes into a single rom in the future, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Patch these to the USA version instead, as usual.
Honestly it was actually not that hard to find the relevant data in the GBA ROM, but for some reason I couldn't figure that out last time I tried a while ago. So, since I took the parameters straight from SMA2, I was able to get a pretty much 1:1 replica of Luigi's behaviour, including the fireballs which is maybe the only thing that's slightly off due to the fact that they probably reworked their interaction on GBA, but I'd say it's about as close as it can be.
However, before someone points this out, the thing where you get all the coins at once out of a multi-coin block isn't included (yet? maybe with SA-1).
Anyway I don't have much more time to talk about it lol, so I'll just throw in the asar patch here
things to note:
- no SA-1 support yet because I'm lazy, should be easy though
- yes, this is intended to be patched to the USA version
- there are a lot of hijacks so don't be surprised if there are incompatibilities
- I tried to optimize the code for speed at the cost of space, so the code might look silly
- Luigi acts.. off in some cutscenes. I'll probably fix that
- I didn't test this that much, if there are more bugs let me know!
- thanks to kaizoman/Thomas for his physics modifier patch, which made it really easy to figure out what was what
- happy C3