Banner
Views: 816,175,269
Time:
16 users online: AmazingChest, Anorakun, Brolencho, Daizo Dee Von, EddyCartoon, Evernn, h.carrell, MastaBuizness,  Maxodex, Runic_Rain, Samantha,  Sinc-X, skyekun, TanukiAlan, VLSkoot, Yoshi Master - Guests: 44 - Bots: 201 Users: 43,214 (2,261 active)
Latest: ArcanumL
Tip: Read Lunar Magic's help file and SMW Central's FAQ, as they cover most of the basics of SMW hacking.Not logged in.
The /images/banners/ directory isn't private like the other image directories, is that intentional?
Forum Index - Valley of Bowser - Site Questions, Feedback & Bugs - The /images/banners/ directory isn't private like the other image directories, is that intentional?
Pages: « 1 »
All of the other folders in the /images/ directory are private. For example, if I try to access /images/rankset/, it'll throw up a "403 Forbidden" error (even though it doesn't seem like something that would need to be hidden). However, the /images/banners/ directory and all its subfolders aren't private, so they can be browsed through freely by anyone. Is this intentional? Is it supposed to be private, but was accidentally made public? Were the other folders accidentally made private? What's going on here?
ranksets are private because back in the old days, Kieran wanted new ranks to be a surprise, so he kept all information about how many/which ranks each set has private. I'm not sure we still want to do that, but either way, we just haven't changed that since Kieran left. The banners are public... i'm not even sure exactly why, but they give an interesting glimpse into the site's history, and they have no real reason to be private. Anyways, the permissions on every directory are intentional.
Someone (I think Ultimaximus?) made a list with every rank and the amount of posts necessary to reach a certain level. It's been obsoleted ever since, but not much was lost either way, admittedly.
If we had the access to the entire list of ranks, it'd encourage some users to shitpost solely in order to get a certain rank, specifically the users who frequently sit on Discord and barely have any posts here.

On the other hand, they could quickly check equivalents to their ranks in different ranksets. There would be no requirement in editing your profile.
This layout is 💩
Originally posted by 7 up
If we had the access to the entire list of ranks, it'd encourage some users to shitpost solely in order to get a certain rank, specifically the users who frequently sit on Discord and barely have any posts here.

i think youre underestimating how difficult shitposting (without getting nanned) actually is, let alone just making regular posts

Originally posted by 7 up
On the other hand, they could quickly check equivalents to their ranks in different ranksets. There would be no requirement in editing your profile.

literally what is the problem here? checking other ranksets is a bad thing? editing your profile is a bad thing? #tb{:?}
Originally posted by Ladida
i think youre underestimating how difficult shitposting (without getting nanned) actually is, let alone just making regular posts

Behavior I mentioned would be specific to users who are new to the forums and fool around them (not necessarily in a "good" way).

Originally posted by Ladida
literally what is the problem here? checking other ranksets is a bad thing? editing your profile is a bad thing? #tb{:?}

No, checking ranksets with lists of ranks would just be at least slightly faster than editing your profile multiple times. No one would wonder 'why tf are X's ranks changing so fast?'.
This layout is 💩
Honestly I don't see the big deal to hide them any longer. And the main person who thought that was a good thing is gone now, so...it should probably be re-evaluated whether it is really necessary to keep restricted at this point.

Plus at a point I think it shouldn't really matter anyways. Once you post enough, you only have forward to look to and can't pick past ones once your posts climbs to a certain degree.

--------------------
Need someone good at CSS site/design! Please contact!

Minecraft Randomizer: Scrycrafter
Honestly thought that ranksets were still publicly visible somewhere, unless I'm totally mistaken and they are.

Frankly, I always liked having them visible on Acmlm's Board and a few offshoots because it was basically a preview of what you could expect if you stuck with it long enough.
Originally posted by FPzero
Frankly, I always liked having them visible on Acmlm's Board and a few offshoots because it was basically a preview of what you could expect if you stuck with it long enough.

Yeah, I remember a ranksets page that told you everything about ranksets. It was really neat. Be sort of cool to have something like that here.

--------------------
Need someone good at CSS site/design! Please contact!

Minecraft Randomizer: Scrycrafter
Pages: « 1 »
Forum Index - Valley of Bowser - Site Questions, Feedback & Bugs - The /images/banners/ directory isn't private like the other image directories, is that intentional?

The purpose of this site is not to distribute copyrighted material, but to honor one of our favourite games.

Copyright © 2005 - 2020 - SMW Central
Legal Information - Privacy Policy - Link To Us


Total queries: 15

Menu

Follow Us On

  • YouTube
  • Twitch
  • Twitter

Affiliates

  • Super Mario Bros. X Community
  • ROMhacking.net
  • Mario Fan Games Galaxy