Chocolate Level Design Contest 2020
Welcome to the Chocolate Level Design Contest!
Making a comeback after two years, this contest allows the use of any resources without limitations. Consider this the polar opposite of VLDC - any form of ASM or Graphics are fair game, and you may use any baserom you desire to build your entry.
- You may work with up to one partner.
- Your level should not exceed 5 minutes to beat in a perfect run (meaning without death from front to back). If we feel an entry is too long during judging, you may get a lower score.
- You may use one secret exit, but please note you may get a lower score if your secret exit adds nothing to the level experience. Make it count!
- Kaizo levels are not permitted.
- Include some form of life farm or infinite lives if you choose to make a level of the Hard - Very Hard difficulty. If the judges game over consistently on an entry due to only starting with 5 lives, you may be penalized.
- Do not include your name within your entry. Failure to do so will result in a small penalty.
- Low effort joke entries may be prone to disqualification. If you put no work in your entry, don't expect the judges to put work into judging it.
- Your entry must work with either Snes9x1.60 or BSNESv112. Entries that do not work in either one of these emulators will be disqualified.
The judges for CLDC are idol
, and MrDeePay
. Make sure to give us your all!
How well-designed is the level? Is it overall fun to play? How well does it execute its theme, gimmicks and level setups? Is the difficulty consistent or is it frustrating or boring? Does the level function properly or are there issues such as unintended slowdown?
Does the level present any unique or interesting ideas? Does it have any original, nice setups? Is the theme/gimmick innovative?
How does the level look aesthetically? Are the palettes pleasing to the eye? Is it polished? Does the music fit? Is the music a nuisance to gameplay? Are there any broken sound effects or samples? Completely unchanged Vanilla SMW aesthetics will be given a 6/10.
There are a few ways to get a penalty for your entry:
You must submit your entry as a .bps file. Submitting an .ips file will result in disqualification!
- Failure to include a life farm or infinite lives in a hard level: -5 Points Overall.
- Failure to anonymize your entry: -1 Point Overall.
- Submitting a low effort joke entry: Disqualification.
- Submitting a level that does not work on either Snes9x or BSNES: Disqualification.
- Submitting an .ips: Disqualification.
- Submitting an .smc file or any other form of rom file: Disqualification, File Deletion & Site Warning (really don't do this).
You can put your .bps file in a .zip or 7-zip archive if you want. For ease of submission and judge access, you should upload it to your personal File Bin
on the site. The .bps file should be created using a clean Super Mario World rom, using Floating IPS
Submit your level in this thread
. If you are updating your entry, EDIT YOUR POST. Double posts in this thread will be deleted.
The deadline for this contest will be May 24th, 2020 at 16:59 UTC. I have provided a handy-dandy timer below:
UPDATE: The penalty regarding levels that exceed 5 minutes has been waived.