We're in the process of relaunching our SMW Central Twitter account over the next few days, so we would like your input. Ultimately, you are the followers, so we want what we're tweeting to be of interest to you.
Here's what we've thought of so far:
- Tweeting the latest news/announcement posts.
- Letting you know when one of our Twitch Streamers go live on the SMW Central Twitch channel
- Contest announcements: letting you know when dates are announced, when deadlines are coming up and when results are out.
- User content: we want to show off cool and interesting resources we have on the site to you on Twitter. We're ironing out the exact details of how it's decided what exactly get's promoted on Twitter right now, so if you have any thoughts on this we would like to hear them. This won't just be limitted to SMW, but YI and SM64 too.
- Retweeting: we're looking to retweet cool things we come across too, whether it's exciting resources made by other users or ROM hacking/Mario-related news.
So, the questions I'd like to raise are: What ideas do you have for our Twitter account and what would you like to see? Do you like what's been outlined above, or is there something there you perhaps don't want us to tweet about?
Looking forward to hearing your feedback and input on this!
Oh - and if you haven't already! Do be sure to follow our Twitter account: @smwcentral
Sounds good! Twitter is currently the social media site I use the most, so it was always a bit sad to me that the SMW Central Twitter just kinda died.
The proposed content sounds good to me. One addition I'd like to propose (regarding user content): I'd love to see some retro content on the Twitter every now and then. Like, once or twice a month, simply post a video of an older, but still interestng and fun to play hack that people might have missed. Nothing fancy, just one or two minutes of gameplay. I would definitely like that.
Follow dtothefourth, as well as any other well known creators, and retweet some of the content they post. This tends to be pretty unique and interesting as opposed to just finding something from the site and posting it.
And, when it comes to posting things from the site, it might be interesting to see the really well done graphics, mp3’s of some of the custom music maybe, gifs of new ASM being uploaded. A “favorite content of the day(or week)” could be neat to see, would be worth following on twitter to see these sorts of posts.
To me the most exciting stuff to see on smwcentral is WIP hack threads. I may not comment on them as much as I used to, but I still check them out all the time. I feel like I can’t be the only one who feels this way, and that tweeting snapshots of cool hacks being made would be great to raise interest in smw hacking (which I’m guessing is the purpose of the twitter). So.. yeah, the other stuff sounds great too, but please post WIP stuff!Something mad powerful is on its way to Extra Mario World!
I'm not opposed to rebooting the Twitter but honestly I feel like the YouTube channel deserves more attention too. While I'm totally on board with all of the ideas mentioned so far (namely showcasing different resources or hacks) I think some of those things would translate better in the context of a YouTube video as opposed to a tweet. For example I really miss the greatest hits series because it's a great way to show off people's musical work with cute visuals to go with it (and plus you could always cross-platform that shit and link the video on Twitter). It is a lot of work which is seemingly why the channel is never consistently active, but not all resources fit in a YouTube video (like graphics or patches) so it doesn't necessarily have to be as big of an undertaking.
I can't speak for others but honestly I don't give a shit about Twitter because it's nothing more than a toxic hellscape to me so it's not really worth making an account just to follow SMWC. Meanwhile I watch videos on YouTube every day, so it'd be nice to see more content there.
EDIT: Also I strongly second Von Farenheit and Ondore's Lies
Do funny shitposts since twitter is built for that.
And also promote livestreams people do of hacks hosted on here and WIP hack threads.
-------------------- On Pixel Art Requests: I generally do not accept free work unless I either have the time, if I see your project worth my time to contribute towards, and that is usually me doing the approaching to you on that second part. I do not accept speculative work as I do have various art I made on-hand with me. I am more receptive to paid work and equivalent exchange of resources (trades) in which case, you can DM me wherever I have an active presence on for the details and we can work something out. If not, then don't DM unless absolutely necessary.
At least once every week, feature either a custom song, custom sprite, custom block, or custom patch.
Yep sure - we're definitely looking to promote user content and resources available on the site, to bring you cool ROM hacking ideas etc. It will probably even be more regular than once per week too.
Originally posted by Arreme
You need to feature also new content related to the learning branch! Making easy for new people to learn ASM
Promoting tutorials? Sounds like a good idea.
Originally posted by RPG Hacker
One addition I'd like to propose (regarding user content): I'd love to see some retro content on the Twitter every now and then. Like, once or twice a month, simply post a video of an older, but still interestng and fun to play hack that people might have missed. Nothing fancy, just one or two minutes of gameplay. I would definitely like that.
Yeah sure - we can definitely "delve through the archives" to find some older, but still relevant and interesting hacks and resources. We have a great selection of cool resources/hacks on the site, so it would be a missed opportunity if we neglected them. Thanks for the suggestion!
Originally posted by Von Fahrenheit, Samantha, Ondore's Lies
Yes definitely! I also had a suggestion come through on Twitter about promoting hacks upon their release too, so that's two things that could work quite well in tandem with each other.
Originally posted by SF - The Dark Warrior
And also promote livestreams people do of hacks hosted on here and WIP hack threads.
We're looking into promoting when our own Twitch Streamers go live for the moment (though we're ironing out how to get that to work). Unsure of how we would go about knowing when other people are live unless they tweet about it, in which case we could retweet it if it's relevant etc.
There are a number of things I don't follow that much (should I?)
but here are my comments on the quoted ideas :
- Tweeting the latest news/announcement posts. Makes sense. That way even the non-users can see we're a dynamic community with events going on.
- Letting you know when one of our Twitch Streamers go live on the SMW Central Twitch channel. Yes, I don't relate to the streams, I don't watch them.
- Contest announcements: letting you know when dates are announced, when deadlines are coming up and when results are out. This is a great addition to the community and builds excitement.
- User content: we want to show off cool and interesting resources we have on the site to you on Twitter. Actually, this is where I am hooked. I would like to see where and how user's content is used. For example if you want to highlight a specific resource (as in block, sprite, music, etc), you can release a small videoclip of gameplay, quoting that user x used asset y made by z in their romhack.
- Retweeting: we're looking to retweet cool things we come across too, whether it's exciting resources made by other users or ROM hacking/Mario-related news. Also cool, this way it adds diversity. Not sure I'll tweet my own stuff though, because I'm progressing my thing so, so slow.
I think, as an active user, I'll just study what helps me the best doing my homework. There are a number of resources I don't use much creatively, or I'm missing some general knowledge or info. Seeing them in action definitely helps.
So one more idea from me; you may want to share on Twitter also the "tip" that shows in SMWC header; or small excerpts from tutorials and related data pieces. You can even call it "technical trivia" or "SMW facts" to hook foreign people into our actuivity.
As in, "did you know that xx and yy.."
I bet there's gonna be a strategy to have a Twitter that is consistent with certain audience types. I'll try following the evolution.
Thanks so much for being involved!
Edit : o boi I'm just discovering abot romhack races, that seems nice.
-------------------- Hey this is me Darkslayer.
Tahixham Forum Manager and Public Relations World 4 King