Banner
Views: 844,220,587
Time:
21 users online: Aeon, Aligus, AmperSam, AntiDuck, ASimpleHuman, BabaYegha, Batata Douce, Cal-of-Gearva, Dark Prince, Hayashi Neru, Ice Man, Isaque World, jirok, JonnyManjiro, KiloMinimo,  MarioFanGamer, msi810, owenxm_,  RussianMan, shane, SiameseTwins - Guests: 68 - Bots: 72 Users: 46,404 (2,769 active)
Latest: SkyCaptain
Tip: Unless you've disabled the bonus game, don't use a goal tape in a vertical level. The bonus game won't appear if a player happens to reach 100 bonus stars there.Not logged in.
Of Jumps and Platforms
Forum Index - Sunken Ghost Ship - C3 Museum - Summer 2020 - Of Jumps and Platforms
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 »
Of Jumps and Platforms



Of Jumps and Platforms (or OJaP, in short) is a full SMW hack of hard-very hard difficulty, heavily focused on platforming. It contains a total of 7 exits, carefuly crafted and balanced to offer a difficulty progression through them.



Inspired by hacks like slurdgery, Nachos and Fried Oreos and mice, Of Jumps and Platforms offers some hard, challenging platforming action through each one of the levels, each one containing an asm-focused gimmick, coded and/or modified by me.

Story: Bowser has prepared a special obstacle course for Mario that ends up in his castle. Will he be able to survive it?



This took quite some time to design. While I only gave credit in the hack at the testers that gave me specífic/general feedback regarding level design or the hack, I would like to thank all of the people that played it the last months, especially ECS.98 for giving me a ton of specific feedback on a level by level basis regarding level design and nitpicks.

You can download the hack here:

Of Jumps and Platforms

For those of you who don't have that much time to play through it, you can take a look at the hack with the full playthrough N450 recorded:



Romhack Races stream of the hack:


I played an early version of this a few weeks back, and it was one of the most enjoyable experiences I had in a while. Congrats on the release, this will be one I replay every so often!
Looks like a fun time. The platforming looks enjoyable and it really makes you react. I'll give it a try later on, but it definitely looks like a promising project. :)

--------------------
Click here to enter the world of mediocre!
This looks super fun.

EDIT: It is indeed, just beat it and it's way fun.
Originally posted by Heraga
I played an early version of this a few weeks back, and it was one of the most enjoyable experiences I had in a while. Congrats on the release, this will be one I replay every so often!


Thanks Heraga, you're on the credits :)!

Originally posted by Lotica
Looks like a fun time. The platforming looks enjoyable and it really makes you react. I'll give it a try later on, but it definitely looks like a promising project. :)

Originally posted by MDBattleFrog
This looks super fun.


Thanks a lot. I really tried my best to make the hack enjoyable and fun.
Aaaaa this looks so hard!

...but i like the creative setups behind it. Indeed well put out.

--------------------
What-A-Blast has been cancelled...
**Layout by Erik557


I'm playing it and its really good(and hard) #smrpg{y}


Nice Spikeball Hitbox#smrpg{:D}
Hello I'ts a Me Kirbo.
Originally posted by Ruberjig
Aaaaa this looks so hard!

...but i like the creative setups behind it. Indeed well put out.


Thanks Ruberjig. It may look hard on the surface but I have included retry which hopefully helps a lot on that regard.

Originally posted by Superdjsteve54
I'm playing it and is really good(and hard) #smrpg{y}


Thanks, it really means a lot.
Very good and enjoyable short hack.
This looks super awesome, gonna play through it right now and then possibly have some words to say about it

UPDATE: Ok I beat it, it's really good, but something about the fact that there are no enemies made it feel really lifeless in way?

I get that's the point and the levels are fantastic but the entire hack kinda just felt lifeless. The music choices felt like generic kaizo music, the graphical choices all felt purely there to be technically understandable, the levels were good but also felt a bit samey near the end.

The hack is great and I have no qualms about the level design, it's just that there doesn't seem to be an artistic vision behind it (which is completely fine, just wanted to put my opinion out there)
This is amazing! I especially liked the music choices. The tempo, rhythm, aesthetics and ambience of the game was great. Congratulations! #smw{:peace:}

--------------------
I couldn't find anything to write and sanırım buradaki en aktif Türk benim :| By the way my Youtube chanel
Originally posted by Sancles
This looks super awesome, gonna play through it right now and then possibly have some words to say about it

UPDATE: Ok I beat it, it's really good, but something about the fact that there are no enemies made it feel really lifeless in way?

I get that's the point and the levels are fantastic but the entire hack kinda just felt lifeless. The music choices felt like generic kaizo music, the graphical choices all felt purely there to be technically understandable, the levels were good but also felt a bit samey near the end.

The hack is great and I have no qualms about the level design, it's just that there doesn't seem to be an artistic vision behind it (which is completely fine, just wanted to put my opinion out there)

Thanks for your words Sancles. The graphics and the music are just here to carry on with the player and are not central to the hack. I can see what you mean with some levels and even the whole hack feeling liveless - that's the price to pay when you create levels like Morning Star lol - but it's not something that worries me at all.

I'm glad you liked the level design all along - that was my main focus when I was creating the hack.
This looks exactly like the kind of hack I enjoy the most, so I'll definitely check it out. Good job on the full release! :)
I played the whole thing and I have to say, good job !
Maybe a bit too autoscrolly at times but still v good!
I'm definitely going to have to try this out later, it looks fun!
Originally posted by Atari2.0
I played the whole thing and I have to say, good job !
Maybe a bit too autoscrolly at times but still v good!

The hack is also some sort of a vindication of the autoscrollers: they can be very fun if they are done right. Glad you like it #tb{:]}
I may try this if I have the time.

--------------------
You can download my VLDC12 entry here.
Looks neat, Im gonna give this a try sometime

--------------------




I can totally see the inspiration from slurdgery, Nachos and Fried Oreos, and Mice here. Even still, the hack looks to have unique and riveting level design, setups, and custom resources on its own merit. I especially like those ON/OFF blocks that vanish upon being activated.

Going to give this hack a spin as soon as I can!

--------------------
What is a Lunar Magic, and can I eat it?
Originally posted by E-man38
I can totally see the inspiration from slurdgery, Nachos and Fried Oreos, and Mice here. Even still, the hack looks to have unique and riveting level design, setups, and custom resources on its own merit. I especially like those ON/OFF blocks that vanish upon being activated.

Going to give this hack a spin as soon as I can!


While I got inspiration from those hacks, I also tried to spice the levels with my own style and, above all, a platforming focus. Hopefully that's something that got reflected in the final product, so thanks a ton #tb{:]}

I'm not even sure why those ON/OFF blocks weren't created before; they allow for very smooth transitions between ON/OFF states during gameplay.
Pages: « 1 2 3 »
Forum Index - Sunken Ghost Ship - C3 Museum - Summer 2020 - Of Jumps and Platforms

The purpose of this site is not to distribute copyrighted material, but to honor one of our favourite games.

Copyright © 2005 - 2020 - SMW Central
Legal Information - Privacy Policy - Link To Us


Menu

Follow Us On

  • YouTube
  • Twitch
  • Twitter

Affiliates

  • Super Mario Bros. X Community
  • ROMhacking.net
  • Mario Fan Games Galaxy