Language…
20 users online:  AmperSam, AppleBoy54321, ASSATAKKU, BearAndBoarFan, Calamandro177, Children's Digest 1950-2009, Chondontore, codfish1002,  Deeke,  Eevee, El pepe mama, Hamtaro126, NightMareBalon,  patcdr, Ringo, Romano338, Sokobansolver, SubconsciousEye, Super_Mike, SuperPlatformer - Guests: 93 - Bots: 169
Users: 54,913 (2,072 active)
Latest user: El pepe mama

Mad with Kaizo Power: Precision Kaizo Hack

Kaizo/PitSuper Mario WorldVideo/Trailer

Spoilers for my upcoming hack:



Currently there are 76/100 rooms drafted. I hope to have a beta test ready this month. I have a certain beta tester lined up that has supported me in this project, but it will be an open beta after that. Look for the beta release on the "Hack Testing" forum and in various Discord channels.

Here's a drafted description for the hack listing:

"This is a precision hack. It's 100 screens long, and there is a checkpoint after every screen. Sections are short, but the obstacles are precise and at times extremely technical.

"I did not shy away from mechanics that are unpopular, but I did eliminate jank as thoroughly as I could. For almost every room, there are opportunities to stop and choose your own pace."

Enjoy the show. Comments are welcome. ( ^_^)

Music: Thanks to Redngreen for his Cursed Cathedral composition.
NewPointless
Views:
Time:
6 users online: o imamelia, o o FPzero, o bebn legg, o Nameless, o Major Flare, o o Scrydan - Guests: 69 - Bots: 160Users: 69,666 (9,999 active)
Latest: Year 2020
Tip:
This looks really intense! I would love to check this out sometime when available. Looks like this hack will definitely give its players a run for their money (or coins in this case).

Seems cool by what I've seen! Hope I can playtest this one too! aka be able to play lmao #smrpg{y}
Just some Ys fan lol
Originally posted by KiloMinimo
Seems cool by what I've seen! Hope I can playtest this one too! aka be able to play lmao #smrpg{y}


I was hoping you would play test again, Kilo. It will be harder than Super Nothing World, though.
NewPointless
This looks very interesting. It obviously reminds me a lot of Claustrophobia for the single-screen format, but it looks like you're focusing more on mostly vanilla, pure platforming challenges rather than crazy asm setups. I wish you good luck on finishing all the 100 rooms!
Quote
I was hoping you would play test again, Kilo. It will be harder than Super Nothing World, though.

Still I'm going to give a try again
Just some Ys fan lol
looks very interesting. not to big on precision hacks but you definitely have your own style and pacing. gg
Wow Nice Overworld And An Cool Hack Idea Keep it Up and Who Knows maybe its an Kaizo Hack I Would Try it im for Common not a Good Kaizo Player but Yeah Short one Room Challanges who Knows maybe it Could be Fun for me :D
Mein Youtube Kanal
http://www.youtube.com/user/Lordkronos100?feature=mhum


My Youtube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/Lordkronos100?feature=mhum


Blue yoshis taking over #tb{O_O}
NewPointless
Originally posted by Scrydan
This looks really intense! I would love to check this out sometime when available. Looks like this hack will definitely give its players a run for their money (or coins in this case).


Thanks for your interest! I'll PM you when something playable comes out. You're free to wait until the full release, of course.

Originally posted by KevinM
It obviously reminds me a lot of Claustrophobia for the single-screen format, but it looks like you're focusing more on mostly vanilla, pure platforming challenges rather than crazy asm setups.


The one-screen limitation really helps streamline the creative process and eliminate blindness, but I also wanted rooms that are shorter and less puzzley than Claustrophobia.

The final version won't be pure vanilla or pure platforming. I wanted to challenge players' mastery of obscure mechanics: lakitu cloud, advanced caping, low grav, blue shell yoshi flight, etc. So this hack will be on a very advanced level technically, but not too grindy with the short rooms.

So maybe it won't be for everyone, but having just made a very casual hack, this is what I wanted to do.
NewPointless
Seems pretty cool for what it is. I just don't know if having 100 levels at all cost is worth it, since some may feel quite repetitive. There were e.g. 3 cape levels in the trailer or 2 levels where you had to wait for a p-switch to run out. I mean, these are only 5 out oof 100 levels, but of course I'm not aware if there are more similar levels.
I think you got my point above and aside that I always support the idea of single screened hacks. It worked great for claustrophobia and for Keytastrophe for example and I think you can do well with this too #w{=3}








Originally posted by Sariel
I just don't know if having 100 levels at all cost is worth it, since some may feel quite repetitive. There were e.g. 3 cape levels in the trailer or 2 levels where you had to wait for a p-switch to run out. I mean, these are only 5 out oof 100 levels, but of course I'm not aware if there are more similar levels.


Thanks for the word, Sariel!

My plan was to make 20 levels of 5 rooms each. Since I came up with an idea for a 21st final level, some will have 4 rooms, but hopefully that isn't a bother. I guess your point is that round numbers are not that important, so I guess I won't worry about it. ( ^_^)

Anyway, each level has a theme. I included a lot of rooms for the cape level because I thought they were cool, but each of the 5 rooms is divided into subthemes.

For example, in the cape level:

Room 1: Dive storage
Room 2: Flying enemy bounce
Room 3: Angled dive
Room 4: Float
Room 5: Fly off net

With this method, there's practically zero repetition, except for a few filler obstacles like little crescent jumps, edge jumps, etc. that I use to move through the screen. Either way, I will make sure to ask my playtesters if anything feels repetitive.
NewPointless
This looks hard as balls. I like single-screen rooms a lot, so this looks like it'll be fun, too. Hope to see it come out soon!
Originally posted by Sokobansolver
Like White Palace in SMW.


I love the music there. It's actually perfect for a precision level, but I'm not sure how the devs would feel about their music being ported and used in a hack.
NewPointless
I can't wait! I love making precise jumps.
Upcoming Hacks:
Slumber Party 6 (2019-202X)
Waymantale Fantasy (An FF6 Hack i will co-develop (2022-202X)
I read "precision" in the thread's title and came here as quickly as I could...

Ok now, kaizo hacks focused on precision jumps are so barren it's trend for them to get tiresome, so I congratulate you for coming up with unique usages of it. Yeah, make sure it doesn't feel too repetitive, though I'm sure you aren't worn out on ideas at all. Amazing work!
Originally posted by Katerpie
I read "precision" in the thread's title and came here as quickly as I could...

Ok now, kaizo hacks focused on precision jumps are so barren it's trend for them to get tiresome, so I congratulate you for coming up with unique usages of it. Yeah, make sure it doesn't feel too repetitive, though I'm sure you aren't worn out on ideas at all. Amazing work!


Thanks! It's good to see some excitement about precision. It's actually a gold mine of ideas. So many interesting techniques and movement arcs are unlocked by precision, and people are scared to touch it...
NewPointless
That left sticky fly is pretty hot.

Kaizo/PitSuper Mario WorldVideo/Trailer