Banner
Views: 843,239,500
Time:
38 users online: AnasMario130, Androshi,  Anorakun, autisticsceptile1993, Bensalot, Big G, DaelGalonZo, Dan2point5, Darolac, EnzoLipe1, EvanEMV, FYRE150, Green Jerry, Ice Man,  idol, Janno27, JudgementKazzy, KiloMinimo,  Koopster, Kusrry, levelengine, Mad Lad, MarioriaM, Matheus2653, Mr. MS,  Nameless, Nhymare, OEO6, oofoplayez561, Romano338,  RussianMan, Rykon-V73, Sparkysie, SuperMarisa1999,  Teows, TheMorganah, Vhack, Zidan3 - Guests: 65 - Bots: 97 Users: 46,320 (2,882 active)
Latest: Androshi
Tip: You can use Lunar Magic's Overworld Layer 3 Editing system to edit or create your own layer 3 images (castle bricks, fish, rocks) and apply unique effects per level via the Layer 3 Bypass in the main editor.Not logged in.
VLDC12 - Discussion and Questions
Forum Index - Important - The 12th Vanilla Level Design Contest - VLDC12 - Discussion and Questions
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
You can use this thread to discuss the contest in a general setting and ask questions about what is and isn't allowed. You shouldn't use it to post screenshots of your levels because as a judge and the host I want to be able to answer questions without seeing progress on levels until I actually start judging things. Have fun with your levels everyone!

This thread isn't where you submit your final level! Use the Submissions and Rules Thread for that!
First!
User: Hinalyte / ID: 1553 ~ loading kotori.css
obligatory first
VLDC 11 music hyperlink doesn't work.

it linked to https://www.smwcentral.net/%E2%80%9Dhttps://bin.smwcentral.net/u/15846/VLDC11%2Bremixes.zip%E2%80%9D
Question: What qualifies as a "partner?" Are they a partner if they just help come up with ideas? If they give suggestions? Or do they have to physically help with the level?
When I run the base ROM with my emulator, everything is VERY, VERY slow. Is it intentionnal ?
Also, is it allowed to change the 'Nintendo Presents' logo with a custom one ?
Err, how come the invisible rope climbing glitch is patched out? It's not mentioned anywhere in the patch list and on top of that, it's actually a very useful vanilla glitch to exploit. I was hoping I could utilize it...

--------------------
My Mode 0 guide.

My Discord server. It has a lot of archived ASM stuff, so check that out!
What's theme are suggested for we will plan VLDC level:


You can choose a free theme for levels here!

--------------------
Tonight.. tonight..

Join Discord server now: Troblex Media, Droplex' Hangout, r/Dispace Troblex

My YouTube Channel: Dispace Troblex
Maybe a music remix contest?

--------------------


List Soundtrack - List Hacks
Originally posted by Lsh0426
VLDC 11 music hyperlink doesn't work.

it linked to https://www.smwcentral.net/%E2%80%9Dhttps://bin.smwcentral.net/u/15846/VLDC11%2Bremixes.zip%E2%80%9D

Fixed this, thank you.

Originally posted by EvanEMV
Question: What qualifies as a "partner?" Are they a partner if they just help come up with ideas? If they give suggestions? Or do they have to physically help with the level?

Generally it's meant someone that helps you with the level in any way.

Originally posted by DTA450
When I run the base ROM with my emulator, everything is VERY, VERY slow. Is it intentionnal ?
Also, is it allowed to change the 'Nintendo Presents' logo with a custom one ?

I have no idea why your emulator would run slow with the base rom, because it doesn't do it for me at all. Be sure you're using a recent version of your chosen emulator, and not ZSNES.
You can't edit the Nintendo Presents logo.

Originally posted by Infinity
Maybe a music remix contest?

I asked Sinc about this and we agreed that it doesn't make sense to run one of these contests during the actual level design contest. Maybe next year, a few months before we host VLDC13.

Originally posted by AnasMario130
Err, how come the invisible rope climbing glitch is patched out? It's not mentioned anywhere in the patch list and on top of that, it's actually a very useful vanilla glitch to exploit. I was hoping I could utilize it...

I didn't think we patched that one out... This is the one where mario can get shoved off a sprite rope and can climb anywhere right?
Originally posted by FPzero


Originally posted by AnasMario130
Err, how come the invisible rope climbing glitch is patched out? It's not mentioned anywhere in the patch list and on top of that, it's actually a very useful vanilla glitch to exploit. I was hoping I could utilize it...

I didn't think we patched that one out... This is the one where mario can get shoved off a sprite rope and can climb anywhere right?


Yes. I tried it out on the base ROM and it didn't work.

--------------------
My Mode 0 guide.

My Discord server. It has a lot of archived ASM stuff, so check that out!
I can't help but notice there's quite a lot more pre-inserted patches in this baserom compared to VLDC11's. Looking at the list, a lot of these patches feel less like objective bugfixes and more like arbitrary changes to how the game works. Things like Yoshi being immune to line-guided sprites and getting hurt by grey bowser statues, Thwomp proximity wrapping around the screen, and hammer bros throwing hammers in lava are technically glitches, but most prefer to think of them as mechanics that could be (or already have been) used for level design purposes.

I think that for future VLDCs, the patches should be limited to the bare essentials (crash fixes, common visual fixes, SA-1) whereas all "glitches" that could potentially be exploited for gameplay purposes should just be left alone. To me, the opportunity to explore vanilla SMW quirks is one of the biggest draws of VLDC and I'm sad to see them gradually purged like this.
Originally posted by Lazy
I can't help but notice there's quite a lot more pre-inserted patches in this baserom compared to VLDC11's. Looking at the list, a lot of these patches feel less like objective bugfixes and more like arbitrary changes to how the game works. Things like Yoshi being immune to line-guided sprites and getting hurt by grey bowser statues, Thwomp proximity wrapping around the screen, and hammer bros throwing hammers in lava are technically glitches, but most prefer to think of them as mechanics that could be (or already have been) used for level design purposes.

I think that for future VLDCs, the patches should be limited to the bare essentials (crash fixes, common visual fixes, SA-1) whereas all "glitches" that could potentially be exploited for gameplay purposes should just be left alone. To me, the opportunity to explore vanilla SMW quirks is one of the biggest draws of VLDC and I'm sad to see them gradually purged like this.


Yes Lazy, that's exactly what I thought! I absolutely agree. Thank you for proving my point further.

--------------------
My Mode 0 guide.

My Discord server. It has a lot of archived ASM stuff, so check that out!
For VLDC12 overworld contest, Only using vanilla type overworld graphics but customization are allowed. And what's restrictions?

--------------------
Tonight.. tonight..

Join Discord server now: Troblex Media, Droplex' Hangout, r/Dispace Troblex

My YouTube Channel: Dispace Troblex
The infinite rope glitch isn't patched out though, you must be doing something wrong. I tested it on my baserom and it's there.
Is there a possibility for making map for levels, remixing musics or something?

VLDC7, VLDC8 and VLDC9 were the best SMW hacks.
I missed these VLDC SMW hacks.
Hello.

I've had trouble for a while with layer 3 stuff, I don't exactly understand.
But here, when I click on the .mwl files provided for layer 3 backgrounds, I receive a notification of ExGFX missing. But I have already extracted the ExGFX, so how comes? Or should I place the layer 3 tiles by myself in the layer 3 editor?

Also is it allowed to mix the sprites' GFX. Thanks.

--------------------
Hey this is me, Darkslayer.
Originally posted by snoruntpyro
The infinite rope glitch isn't patched out though, you must be doing something wrong. I tested it on my baserom and it's there.


Weird. You do have a point Pyro. Lemme see.

Edit: yep, it works. Good.

--------------------
My Mode 0 guide.

My Discord server. It has a lot of archived ASM stuff, so check that out!
I'm not good with music, so can anybody tell me what is this MSU-1. Also if SMW Music stored on this site has it? And if so, how to recognize MSU-1 usage?
Are we allowed to edit global songs such as the P switch, goal, and death themes? I feel like I remember VLDC11 stages with edited P switch music, and if so, does it count as a part of the 4 songs we can have?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Forum Index - Important - The 12th Vanilla Level Design Contest - VLDC12 - Discussion and Questions

The purpose of this site is not to distribute copyrighted material, but to honor one of our favourite games.

Copyright © 2005 - 2020 - SMW Central
Legal Information - Privacy Policy - Link To Us


Menu

Follow Us On

  • YouTube
  • Twitch
  • Twitter

Affiliates

  • Super Mario Bros. X Community
  • ROMhacking.net
  • Mario Fan Games Galaxy