Banner
Views: 853,840,719
Time:
25 users online: AnEvilGhost, autisticsceptile1993, AyGaAlPa, chickaDEE Magazine, ChrisHamulak, Darolac, ExONightZ, Ezek.The Square Remixer, FrozenQuills, GbreezeSunset,  huebrbr, iSwaggMaster, Janno27, Jibjig,  Lazy, MegaSonic1999, NewPointless, nickofzo, PinkSatan, RPG Hacker, Runic_Rain,  Sinc-X, Super Wario Man, teotaylor, Yetibucca - Guests: 112 - Bots: 81 Users: 47,115 (2,476 active)
Latest: Eber
Tip: Don't replace the first two Map 16 FG Pages with ExGFX.Not logged in.
VLDC12 - Discussion and Questions
Forum Index - Important - The 12th Vanilla Level Design Contest - VLDC12 - Discussion and Questions
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »
Okay, I have a couple more questions:

First one is; when using layer 3 backgrounds, are we allowed to use the sprite status bar patch since almost every link in the rules and submissions recommends it?

Second one is; are we allowed to use the custom Mario palette patch? (Because I think I recalled being to use it in VLDC 9, though I could be wrong.)

--------------------
Currently working on: Princess Peach Alpha
Originally posted by EvanEMV
I noticed that the Layer 3 graphics files are already inserted into the rom. Do we need to remove the unused ones before we submit our entry?

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you asking if you need to remove the ExGFX files you aren't using? Because you don't have to do that. You can leave them there, it'll be fine.

Originally posted by slakkmichael
Okay, I have a couple more questions:

First one is; when using layer 3 backgrounds, are we allowed to use the sprite status bar patch since almost every link in the rules and submissions recommends it?

Second one is; are we allowed to use the custom Mario palette patch? (Because I think I recalled being to use it in VLDC 9, though I could be wrong.)

We tried a sprite status bar but it simply does not work with the base rom. One of Major Flare's plans is to look into either updating or creating a new sprite status bar that's more compatible after the contest. So to answer, no you can't apply it. I know a lot of BGs say to use one, but it's something people will have to work around for now.

You can't apply that Mario colors patch either, sorry.
So im gonna ask this again just to make sure

Can one person make multiple level entries what i mean is like multiple level entries not exits but submissions?

--------------------
This is my layout i plan on adding one soon

I have a discord server smwc users only


https://discord.gg/asqCguX

Extras



I should have something witty to put here (even if it's just to update dated info), shouldn't I?

Advertising Space

No, you can only submit one level.

IF for some reason you change your submission for something else, only the submission that's as of the entry deadline will be counted.

Originally posted by codfish1002
So im gonna ask this again just to make sure

Can one person make multiple level entries what i mean is like multiple level entries not exits but submissions?

I answered this when you asked the first time, but to say it again, No. You may only submit ONE level.
Originally posted by BootaNoBijuu
We are allowed to use "Mode 7" (GFX27) Graphics?

If you mean graphics themselves, yes, you can somehow use them. You can manipulate anything vanilla. If you mean Mode 7 usage, then no.

Why mustn't we alter any other tracks than title and Nintendo presents in our ROM? It's not that it affects the other songs (unless there's some info that they're not compatible with something) or the hypothetical compilation since we only include files used for the level, not global tracks.

Also, we don't have to update our base ROM to 1.1, do we?
I have a Discord server as well!

Back to working on my VLDC12 level!
Just noticed wallclips aren't patched, pretty surprised by it.

--------------------
Super Mario Pants World
Luigi's Lost Levels
New Super Mario Pants World
Even more surprising. Wallclips only get in the way, they don't add anything positive

--------------------
Super Mario Pants World
Luigi's Lost Levels
New Super Mario Pants World
I do have a question about the merging feature. To cominbine for example the bone and the dirt tile into a fused, wouldn't it require ExGFX to draw that combo?

--------------------
You can download my VLDC12 entry Here - final update
Originally posted by Rykon-V73
I do have a question about the merging feature. To cominbine for example the bone and the dirt tile into a fused, wouldn't it require ExGFX to draw that combo?

Exactly but the rules don't forbit ExGFX on its own (heck, it even mentions how many ExGFX files you can use!), just that they must be tiles from SMW, recoloured or merged.

--------------------
Okay, my layout looks ugly.
Okay. So I'm good.

--------------------
You can download my VLDC12 entry Here - final update
Originally posted by 7 up
Why mustn't we alter any other tracks than title and Nintendo presents in our ROM? It's not that it affects the other songs (unless there's some info that they're not compatible with something) or the hypothetical compilation since we only include files used for the level, not global tracks.

Also, we don't have to update our base ROM to 1.1, do we?

If you alter global tracks and then we compile, your level will no longer sound like it was originally made to sound because we obviously won't be able to use the tracks you chose with everyone else's. Surely it can't be that important that you change the p-switch or goal tape music, can it? I'd rather not allow more random alterations to the vanilla experience than I already do with all the fixes and graphics manipulation.

You don't have to update to 1.1 but I will still heavily encourage it, especially when it's only Day 3 of the contest and you'd have plenty of time to port to a new rom and continue working.
I don't know what"You can't recolor tiles in a tile editor to adjust which colors are transparent."means.
Does it just means "using F8(transparent) tiled blocks" is not allowed?
or Does it include "using Backguround color blocks" and "Using MixBlocks that are not in the original game.(e.g. wood tile act like item block,that can be used as the background)

--------------------
My Poor English Skills...
You can play my VLDC12 entry here!
So in this image:


You can see that I changed the colors of this tile. When I talk about not recoloring with transparency, I mean that you aren't allowed to change the transparent shape of a tile by recoloring parts of the tile with Color ID 00. It's hard to explain.

But you are allowed to use transparent tile F8, backround color blocks and mixed blocks like in your examples.
I would like an elaboration on the line in the change log:
Quote
Removed Layer 3 sample levels because they were broken by default

I had used one of those to help get the animated effect of the starry sky working on the first base rom. Is that no longer usable?
Originally posted by FPzero
If you alter global tracks and then we compile, your level will no longer sound like it was originally made to sound because we obviously won't be able to use the tracks you chose with everyone else's. Surely it can't be that important that you change the p-switch or goal tape music, can it? I'd rather not allow more random alterations to the vanilla experience than I already do with all the fixes and graphics manipulation.

But you didn't judge global music in the previous years, did you?
I have a Discord server as well!

Back to working on my VLDC12 level!
Originally posted by FPzero
But you are allowed to use transparent tile F8, backround color blocks and mixed blocks like in your examples.

OK! I understood it! Thank you for your reply!
I'll take an effort to make a good level.

--------------------
My Poor English Skills...
You can play my VLDC12 entry here!
My entry is now complete. Download it either from the Rules and Submission thread or check my layout below.

--------------------
You can download my VLDC12 entry Here - final update
Originally posted by 7 up
Originally posted by FPzero
If you alter global tracks and then we compile, your level will no longer sound like it was originally made to sound because we obviously won't be able to use the tracks you chose with everyone else's. Surely it can't be that important that you change the p-switch or goal tape music, can it? I'd rather not allow more random alterations to the vanilla experience than I already do with all the fixes and graphics manipulation.

But you didn't judge global music in the previous years, did you?

No but it is to be judged in case there's a compilation of some sort (which is unlikely to happen but still). I wouldn't recommend changing them globally, though.

--------------------
YouTube
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »
Forum Index - Important - The 12th Vanilla Level Design Contest - VLDC12 - Discussion and Questions

The purpose of this site is not to distribute copyrighted material, but to honor one of our favourite games.

Copyright © 2005 - 2020 - SMW Central
Legal Information - Privacy Policy - Link To Us


Menu

Follow Us On

  • YouTube
  • Twitch
  • Twitter

Affiliates

  • Super Mario Bros. X Community
  • ROMhacking.net
  • Mario Fan Games Galaxy