3:23 p.m. CDT 9/17: Baserom edited to v1.1 - L/R Scrolling disabled
4:43 p.m. CDT 9/17: Baserom edited to v1.2 - Major SA-1 compatibility fixes
4:55 p.m. CDT 9/18" Baserom edited to v1.3 - P-balloon SA-1 compatibility issue with SNES9x fix
72hoKAIZO #1 - The Fundamentals
Let's try something new.
Starting *now*, you have 72 hours to make and submit a Kaizo: Light level. You may have heard of these "24hoSMW" contests that happen around these parts. Well, it's like that, only there's more time to create, and with more munchers.
All good things should start with a solid foundation. For the first 72hoK, we want to see what you can do with just Lunar Magic, some quality of life patches, three days and your imagination.
72hoKAIZO #1 Baserom v1.3 - SA-1, Instant Retry, QoL Fixes
All contest levels should be made using this baserom - it has had the SA-1 Pack and instant retry/multi-midway applied, as well as various QoL patches and a shared Map16. That's it.
Here are said quality of life patches:
cape turnaround fix
line guide act fix
double spin on sprites death fix
time up fix
throw direction consistency fix
L/R scrolling disabled
Don't forget to set the sprite header if you want to enable the More Sprites patch!
Here's the breakdown:
Level Design: 35
(Is your level well constructed as a kaizo: light level? Is it both challenging and rewarding to play?)
(How well did you use the resources in the baserom to create a unique experience? Did the level create new setups or use existing setups in a unique way?)
(Does the level look and feel complete? Are the graphics and music complementary or detrimental to the overall experience?)
MAX POSSIBLE: 60
** A 1-point penalty will be assessed for identifying yourself as the author within your submission**
3 judges (no spoilers until after all submissions are in) will score all levels. Highest average score wins - we aren't doing the KLDC style of throwing out high and low scores this time.
- No working with partners
- Level must be beatable within 500 in-game seconds
- Level must be compatible with bsnes v115 or SNES9x v1.6
- No more than one exit
Things you can do:
- Use custom palettes
- Use Exanimation
- Use custom music
- Mix tilesets
- Recolor tiles
- Merge tiles
- Edit Map16 pages (we're not planning to collab this)
- Flip and rotate tiles
- Graphically speaking, anything you can do in VLDC 12
, you can do here
- Adjust the multiple midway settings
Things you can't do:
- Add external graphics or edit the original GFX files
- Add or alter ASM patches beyond multiple midways
- Use 8x8 editor to change graphics
- Modify vanilla Map16 pages (0, 1, 5, 80, 81)
- Turn off infinite lives
- Posting a ROM, an .ips patch, or a corrupt patch
- Submitting a level that is not compatible with either bsnes v115 or SNES9x v1.6
- Submitting a level that isn't Kaizo: Light
- Submitting a existing level from a prior hack or contest
- Not using the baserom
- Including content within the level that violates the rules of SMWCentral
- Wasting the judges' time with a low-effort or troll entry
The top 3-scoring level creators will receive super special trophies, as well as the greatest prize of all: free stuff from the SMWC Free Stuff List!
LEVELS ENTRIES GO IN THIS THREAD.
If you want to update your submission, simply edit your post. Off-topic and double posts will be deleted without notice. If you want to discuss the contest, use the discussion thread instead.
Submissions will be accepted for the next 72 hours, starting now
and ending on Sunday, September 20 at 4 p.m. EDT, 1 p.m. PDT, 8 p.m. UTC, and so on.
Good luck, have fun, don't panic, and happy creating!
I'm not a doctor.