Banner
Views: 864,343,243
Time:
14 users online: Daizo Dee Von,  Deeke, errorgfx,  JamesD28, KatMakes, Mariotag1, MrDeePay, nnj, Rammy, S.U, TCgamerboy2002, Vali,  Veck, Von Fahrenheit - Guests: 46 - Bots: 98 Users: 47,855 (2,079 active)
Latest: Jeanyer
Tip: Use Gopher Popcorn Stew to insert custom blocks into your hack.Not logged in.
Hack 0
Forum Index - SMW Hacking - Works in Progress - Hack 0
Pages: « 1 »
A mysterious character has placed a strange helmet on Mario, forcing him to partake in several missions.

Silentium

In this level, Mario must make sure not to make a single peep.

Partem






Do I smell kaizo?

... Or is it just my allergies.



Twitch < > Dailymotion < > Youtube


Challenging, yes. Kaizo, not trying to.
Hack name changed to Hack 0

Denarios

Originally posted by Golden Yoshi
Hack name changed to Hack 0

Ah, that clears it up - for a second I thought you'd started another one already. #tb{:DD}

It's impressive how you keep coming up with interesting gimmicks for more than half a dozen hacks!

--------------------


 
Originally posted by Golden Yoshi

Not one of your better ones, I'm afraid. I feel like the level design doesn't do justice to the gimmick. There are lots of interesting routes you could take that don't involve having to collect every mushroom and losing invincibility. Especially when it isn't clear from the opening message how much damage is caused by losing invincibility.
this hack is the kaizo version or version without kaizo
Originally posted by G.n.k.
Originally posted by Golden Yoshi

Not one of your better ones, I'm afraid. I feel like the level design doesn't do justice to the gimmick. There are lots of interesting routes you could take that don't involve having to collect every mushroom and losing invincibility. Especially when it isn't clear from the opening message how much damage is caused by losing invincibility.


Do you think it'd be better to replace both the gimmick and level or keep the gimmick and just rework the level?
Originally posted by Golden Yoshi
Originally posted by G.n.k.
Originally posted by Golden Yoshi

Not one of your better ones, I'm afraid. I feel like the level design doesn't do justice to the gimmick. There are lots of interesting routes you could take that don't involve having to collect every mushroom and losing invincibility. Especially when it isn't clear from the opening message how much damage is caused by losing invincibility.


Do you think it'd be better to replace both the gimmick and level or keep the gimmick and just rework the level?



I think the gimmick (as a "pseudo speedrun" mechanic) is fine but the level design doesn't interleave with it as well as it could. The fact you have speedrun sections and then abruptly stopping to wait out a timer to damage boost.. it just feels a bit jarring.

Personally, I would take out the mushroom/fuzzy damage boost sections and instead focus on making one continuous star-run, with increasingly tighter time limits as you progress through the level.
I'll rework the level then. Thanks.

Originally posted by JDC
Personally, I would take out the mushroom/fuzzy damage boost sections and instead focus on making one continuous star-run, with increasingly tighter time limits as you progress through the level.


I like that idea, my only concern with making it one continuous long star-run is that there would be no need for enemies and thus the level might feel empty. Think that might be the case?
Originally posted by Golden Yoshi
I'll rework the level then. Thanks.

Originally posted by JDC
Personally, I would take out the mushroom/fuzzy damage boost sections and instead focus on making one continuous star-run, with increasingly tighter time limits as you progress through the level.


I like that idea, my only concern with making it one continuous long star-run is that there would be no need for enemies and thus the level might feel empty. Think that might be the case?


I don't think it'll be an issue. The main concern is keeping a continuous star run "fresh" and innovative throughout, but I reckon it should be possible. Try and find the right mix between the aerial platforming parts and the ground based parts (e.g. where the chuck clears a path to proceed - I like that idea)

I've thought of a few random ideas that could be included:
-tossing a blue throw block across towards a vine to climb upwards
-other enemy interactions such as spin jumping off invulnerable enemies.
-some on/off block mechanics
Originally posted by JDC
-other enemy interactions such as spin jumping off invulnerable enemies.


Yea...but unfortunately the invincibility would still kill the enemies when trying to spin jump off of them.
There are enemies that are completely immune from being killed even with starpower. I'm sorry, I don't remember / don't have a list of all the enemies that can't be killed.

I quickly tested it out with a few sprites, I've found that the saws are completely invulnerable and can't be killed even with a star.
You can use Tweaker to make certain enemies be immune to star power.
If you choose not to, then you can utilize the saws or even the mega moles.

--------------------
Twitter
Ok thanks for the suggestions
Much better, and a nice variety of challenges. Good job.
Pages: « 1 »
Forum Index - SMW Hacking - Works in Progress - Hack 0

The purpose of this site is not to distribute copyrighted material, but to honor one of our favourite games.

Copyright © 2005 - 2020 - SMW Central
Legal Information - Privacy Policy - Link To Us


Menu

Follow Us On

  • YouTube
  • Twitch
  • Twitter

Affiliates

  • Super Mario Bros. X Community
  • ROMhacking.net
  • Mario Fan Games Galaxy