It's that time of year again, where lights are put up, and everyone gathers around the table… why, it's Mosts season of course!
Wiktionary defines "mosts" as "plural of most". SMW Central defines it as "a yearly awards event where users nominate other users or submissions as best fitting a one of several categories".
A quick pick at lunchtime, a drawn-out debate in the evening, or a 4:00 A.M. flurry on your phone, your approach to Mosts is up to you. Just make sure to vote fairly; don't vote the same user for every category, or otherwise vote people in undeserved categories, or your votes may not be counted!
This year, the categories are mostly the same as last year's, with only a few getting shuffled around. Click on the link above and see them all when you vote!
Voting is quite easy. First, visit the event page for Mosts 2020. There, you will see the votes of everyone else, as well as a link to submit your own votes in the top-right corner (you can also get to the voting page directly from the list of all events). You will be greeted by an array of dropdown menus, which you will use to cast your votes:
- For most categories, you just type a name in the search field. Unlike previous years, only votes for eligible users are accepted - in most cases, this means no banned users and no inactive users, but this depends on the category.
- Valid users will be shown in a drop down as you type, but you'll need to fill out a few letters before suggestions are given. When you find your user, click on them to select them.
- Most categories allow you to vote for up to 3 people. Each vote has the same weight. To vote for multiple people, simply erase your previous search from the field (or press Esc) and type in another username. Users you've already selected will always appear at the top of the menu.
- For pair categories (where two users are voted to win a Most together), the categories are split up into a separate menu for each vote. The two people you select in each menu make up one pair. You can leave a menu empty to skip the respective vote.
- Some categories allow you to vote for resources or hacks rather than users. Make sure to read the categories clearly before voting!
- Keep in mind that the Best New Hacker, Best New Musician, etc. categories are meant to recognize those new individuals who made a splash in 2020 - please don't vote for folks who have been around for a while in these categories.
- After you're done making your selections, click the Submit button to cast your votes and make them public! You can go back to the voting page and edit your votes at any time before the Mosts end.
Voting will end on December 21st, 7:00 PM CST.