Banner
The Overworld Design Contest ends in
1 MONTH, 8 DAYS, 21 HOURS, 55 MINUTES AND 3 SECONDS
Views: 896,901,292
Time:
16 users online:  Anorakun, bluezera, Earthling, Gamma V, Infinity, isaix, Isikoro,  KevinM, kingofett, MegaSonic1999, Minish Yoshi, OEO6, rextep, Segment1Zone2, TheEPMaker, WhiteYoshiEgg - Guests: 108 - Bots: 99 Users: 50,305 (2,275 active)
Latest: trendytarzan
Tip: Check for glitched graphics in all frames of an object or sprite (e.g., the ON/OFF block changing, etc.).
Not logged in.
Super Mario: Star Seeker
Forum Index - Sunken Ghost Ship - C3 Museum - Winter 2021 - Super Mario: Star Seeker
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 » Link


Welcome, everyone. Super Mario: Star Seeker is my new hack, that's been in the works for a bit. I've posted a few screenshots and gifs sporadically, but this is the first time I'm showing everything off. Also special thanks to Eminus for creating the hack's logo for me.






What is this?

Star Seeker is a hack that draws heavy inspiration from games like Super Mario 64. That means big, open levels to explore, and multiple objectives in each level. Each level will contain 5 stars for you to collect, and you can do so in any order. Most stars will even be collectible regardless of what you choose on the star select screen. Explore, hunt for red coins, fight bosses, and more.

Truth be told, I've always wanted to make this kind of hack, and Lunar Magic 3's introduction of more flexible level dimensions really inspired me to actually do it.




What's in the demo?

This demo contains 1 complete level, with 5 stars for you to collect. And if you collect all 5 stars, you get access to a small preview of an upcoming level.

I would have liked to have more to show off to you, but it's a bit complex to design levels for this type of hack, and I am also slow. Regardless, I hope you enjoy what I'm showcasing here!



And here's the download
Glad to see you still motivated for this, it's obvious you put a lot of your love for SM64 into this. Having played the first few stars, I think this is very promising, and I wish you the best of luck for development!
Really neat idea!
I've kinda wanted to see something akin to a metroidvania Mario for a while now. But this is gonna be great too!
(Also, sorry if I'm coming off as a bit too light or something. I've been tired lately.)

--------------------
Please pardon the eye.
Hey, we were just talking about this. I'm curious to see how it turns out. I've never liked Super Mario 64, but a SMW hack inspired by it could be fun.
This is incredible so far! I've never saw someone doing a smw hack that involves SM64 in it, only fangames (like Power Star Frenzy)

--------------------
Kirbo was here
Please don't click here



WIP Hack:

Originally posted by Eevee
Glad to see you still motivated for this, it's obvious you put a lot of your love for SM64 into this. Having played the first few stars, I think this is very promising, and I wish you the best of luck for development!

#smrpg{<3}

Originally posted by Mariotag1
Really neat idea!
I've kinda wanted to see something akin to a metroidvania Mario for a while now. But this is gonna be great too!
(Also, sorry if I'm coming off as a bit too light or something. I've been tired lately.)

It's a bit less Metroidvania, more SM64/SMS. There's a hub level that you'll always return to, instead of areas linking up with each other.

Originally posted by imamelia
Hey, we were just talking about this. I'm curious to see how it turns out. I've never liked Super Mario 64, but a SMW hack inspired by it could be fun.

Haha, well at least we can avoid some of SM64's most egregious problems like its camera here.

Originally posted by edgar
This is incredible so far! I've never saw someone doing a smw hack that involves SM64 in it, only fangames (like Power Star Frenzy)

Power Star Frenzy was another source of inspiration for me! But it really goes back to Wario Land 3, a game that I played in my childhood. It almost plays like a 2D Mario 64, with some Metroidvania elements. That was the biggest inspiration, but if I name WL3 people won't know what I mean lol
I was curious enough to try it out under the pretense that it was "SM64 oriented" in terms of level design. Color me surprised when I found out that everything works as you would expect to, with a fully working level select, level preview, star tracking and such. Even the death system from Mario Odyssey, which really took me by surprise.

It's one thing to read about it, but playing it? I don't think I've had such fun with a hack in years. You've got such a solid base here; this is the kind of game that deserves to be finished, with its own soundtrack, the full fanfare. And I really hope you do finish this someday, you've really got something special here.
I have always wanted to create something like this! A fusion of 3D Mario games squashed into a 2D SNES world. This is the kind of hack I've wanted to see for a loooooong time, and I really hope to see this completed one day! I'm super excited for it!

Really enjoyed playing to get the five stars. Love the little ASM things that make this demo shine. Due to my exploring, it was great to not even get the stars in the order on the level select screen!

Really looking forward to seeing how this turns out, K3fka! Good luck on it!
This is a great idea. Keep it up.

--------------------
NewPointless
Originally posted by SLBros.
I was curious enough to try it out under the pretense that it was "SM64 oriented" in terms of level design. Color me surprised when I found out that everything works as you would expect to, with a fully working level select, level preview, star tracking and such. Even the death system from Mario Odyssey, which really took me by surprise.

It's one thing to read about it, but playing it? I don't think I've had such fun with a hack in years. You've got such a solid base here; this is the kind of game that deserves to be finished, with its own soundtrack, the full fanfare. And I really hope you do finish this someday, you've really got something special here.

Your words are too kind! I'm glad the small touches are being noticed and appreciated.


Originally posted by Tahixham
I have always wanted to create something like this! A fusion of 3D Mario games squashed into a 2D SNES world. This is the kind of hack I've wanted to see for a loooooong time, and I really hope to see this completed one day! I'm super excited for it!

Really enjoyed playing to get the five stars. Love the little ASM things that make this demo shine. Due to my exploring, it was great to not even get the stars in the order on the level select screen!

Really looking forward to seeing how this turns out, K3fka! Good luck on it!

Again, I'm glad the small details are being noticed and appreciated. And it's cool to hear I'm not the only one who's really wanted to see a hack like this.


Originally posted by NewPointless
This is a great idea. Keep it up.

Thank you! #smrpg{<3}




Also a couple of things I kind of neglected to mention before. Yes, I implemented the Mario Odyssey death system where you have infinite lives, but you lose 10 coins upon death (and you don't get completely booted from the level). Now, coins are a little pointless in this demo, but I do have plans to let you buy things with them later on.

Also, you can use Start + Select to exit a level at any time and return to the hub level.
Congratulations, this looks really stunning, I was actually working on a hack with a concpt similar to this a few months ago, but yours pretty much blew mine out of the water.
I ended up giving up on the project due to lack of motivation and lack of skill on asm since I dont know much about programming and some things would be needed for it to work.
At this least I cant rest knowing that this concept is being realized to its full potential by someone else.
Congratz, Ive been wanting a hack like this since forever and you took the concept and fully realized it.#smw{:TUP:}
Amazing demo! This does a really good job applying the 3D Mario mission style to 2D Mario. I like how each mission required going to a different area of the level; it makes the level feel very expansive. Would love to see more of this hack in the future!
That Looks so Beautiful and Peacfull with all the Yeollyfishes and the Nice Beach Feeling Keep it up it cvan Defenitely become something Great :D

--------------------
Mein Youtube Kanal
http://www.youtube.com/user/Lordkronos100?feature=mhum


My Youtube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/Lordkronos100?feature=mhum


OMG I loved that! The ASM stuff in this hack is crazy. The two levels shown are really beautiful, and exploring them is lots of fun! I'm really looking forward to playing the full version of this, I love games like SM64 and even what was shown in this short demo was a joyful experience! Keep up the great work, K3fka!
This is a definite download when the full release comes out.

--------------------
Please pardon the eye.

This has to be one of the most unique hacks that I have played. You don't see a lot of collectathons on this site, so it's nice to see when someone is able to pull it off. The style and environments of this hack reminded me a bit of SMWCP, where you never knew what was coming next. My one piece of advice for this hack is that the world felt just a little too maze-like. It could just be me, but I would recommend adding some landmarks to the world. Maybe a giant rock, or a boat, or even a npc. I think if you add a few more, it could help make the level more rememerable. Other than that, It's a great hack. I can't wait to see where you take this concept!

--------------------
Trying out a new layout!
User: Hinalyte / ID: 1553 ~ loading kotori.css
Having seen the development of this hack, this has potential to be fun if you can utilize the adventurous gimmick you have here. I have playtested the beach level before (and broke it a few times on occasion), which I think has a good difficulty for a starter level. Not much to add here; I already gave you enough feedback for a lot of stuff lol.

That said, I'll be looking forward to its completion! just stop being lazy I guess lol
Originally posted by Digital Entertainment
This has to be one of the most unique hacks that I have played. You don't see a lot of collectathons on this site, so it's nice to see when someone is able to pull it off. The style and environments of this hack reminded me a bit of SMWCP, where you never knew what was coming next. My one piece of advice for this hack is that the world felt just a little too maze-like. It could just be me, but I would recommend adding some landmarks to the world. Maybe a giant rock, or a boat, or even a npc. I think if you add a few more, it could help make the level more rememerable. Other than that, It's a great hack. I can't wait to see where you take this concept!


This is definitely a weakness of 2D vs 3D for this type of game. In a 3D game, you can make landmarks large enough that they can be seen from far away, and the player can overall see a lot more of the level at once. Avoiding layouts that are too confusing is definitely a necessity.

I tried to address this mostly by having each objective in a different area of the level, so they're a bit more self-contained. For example, the seashells are all in the top-left quadrant, red coins are all underwater, the jellyfish gauntlet is another underwater area, but it's separated from the larger one that contains the red coins, and then the other 2 stars funnel you into the linear sand castle section.

Anyway, I'm very glad to see the general reception has been so positive. If anyone else felt confused or lost by the level design, I would like to know so that I can adjust as needed.
The underwater area felt a bit sparsely decorated and it made areas feel a bit samey. Maybe having some more coin trails would help players get around, as it would make it more obvious where they have and haven't been. I struggled finding the eight red coins because I couldn't get a feel for the layout.
That's my only real complaint with this. It was a fun little romp, even if it was short.
Wow, this was really impressive! Indie-tier quality!

I'm also surprised on how the 2D level design worked so well in a non-linear, collect-a-thon game!

I always had ideas for an SM64-like hack, but never had the ASM skills to do it.
Pages: « 1 2 » Link
Forum Index - Sunken Ghost Ship - C3 Museum - Winter 2021 - Super Mario: Star Seeker

The purpose of this site is not to distribute copyrighted material, but to honor one of our favourite games.

Copyright © 2005 - 2021 - SMW Central
Legal Information - Privacy Policy - Link To Us


Menu

Follow Us On

  • YouTube
  • Twitch
  • Twitter

Affiliates

  • Super Mario Bros. X Community
  • ROMhacking.net
  • Mario Fan Games Galaxy
  • sm64romhacks