Language…
13 users online: ASMagician Maks, Cote de Boeuf, EricCarlos14, GangsterJerby, GatoSlashFish, HammerBrother, JackBooWow248, LiamBLOL, PeachGulosaRodada, signature_steve, Typo, will___, xMANGRAVYx - Guests: 94 - Bots: 218
Users: 66,463 (2,357 active)
Latest user: Goober mcgee

Our step into the future - SMWC2 Open Beta

Originally posted by Telinc1
It's a real translation of the entire site interface (and none of the user-generated content of course). Currently, only French is available (in a half-finished state), courtesy of bebn legg. More languages will be added if someone volunteers to translate the site.

Oh that's pretty great then. Merci beaucoup.
I'll try to browse smwc en français. #ab{:D}
Yoshiatom's Post
I'm cautiously optimistic towards this. So far the screenshot and interactive demo seem alright with nothing wrong, but so many websites have forced new designs unto people and alienated most of the userbase even after having open betas/feedback before that I can't help have some concern. Also a part of me feels like some of the mid-2000's charm of the old themes will be lost in this redesign. (although I'm kind of hypocritical in that currently I'm using the SMWC rain theme rather than the default theme)

That being said I'm glad SMWC2 is going to have an on-site Google search bar after oh so many years. I could have sworn there was some hassle that prevented the site from having one before so I wonder what changed between then and now.

Layout by Koopster!

<DeputyBS> I knew it
<DeputyBS> alcarobot is taking over the world through his truck dealership franchise
Nice!
Originally posted by yogui
Originally posted by Telinc1
It's a real translation of the entire site interface (and none of the user-generated content of course). Currently, only French is available (in a half-finished state), courtesy of bebn legg. More languages will be added if someone volunteers to translate the site.

Oh that's pretty great then. Merci beaucoup.
I'll try to browse smwc en français. #ab{:D}


I want to add, if you spot translation errors or have suggestions, please let me know! It's a big undertaking so I know there was a few spots where I'd accidentally inverted strings, for example, so it's helpful to have another set of eyes. #tb{:D}

Originally posted by yoshiatom
I'm cautiously optimistic towards this. So far the screenshot and interactive demo seem alright with nothing wrong, but so many websites have forced new designs unto people and alienated most of the userbase even after having open betas/feedback before that I can't help have some concern.

That's exactly why (instead of forcing it on everyone right away) the staff are making this an open beta! Join in and see if you can get behind it. Feedback will be listened to.

Originally posted by yoshiatom
Also a part of me feels like some of the mid-2000's charm of the old themes will be lost in this redesign. (although I'm kind of hypocritical in that currently I'm using the SMWC rain theme rather than the default theme)

There's a site scheme in SMWC2 that emulates the old look as closely as possible. #tb{:)}


 
I'll stick with regular SMWCentral.
Originally posted by AppleBoy54321
I'll stick with regular SMWCentral.

In the future the legacy theme will no longer exist, if that's what you meant.
User: Hinalyte / ID: 1553 ~ loading kotori.css
Waking up to hear this is such good news!

Although while this means all the legacy schemes that I worked hard to revive will eventually be phased out, I've been looking forward to SMWC2 ever since I saw its design and features during my time as staff.
Finally, no more a 2005-looking website. Jokes aside, this is a really good step, hope all of this goes well.
Layout made by MaxodeX
2021 TRENO vibe check thread
This is surprising.



Userbar made by Green Jerry




I like the new look. Can't wait to see it in action
Personally, I've never been a fan of the modern website design trends or standards or whatever you want to call them but I'm obviously in the minority so I can deal.

Maybe I just missed it or misunderstood something, but are all the old site schemes going to vanish forever, without any sort of "counterpart" so to speak in the new website design? I'll miss the Winter scheme if that's the case.
>Mark danced crazy!
Backloggery MyAnimeList
Ohh neat! I'm impressed honestly.
I REALLY like the currently existing design, so it'd be hard to convince me to change.
But with that preview, I can at least say good luck.
Please pardon the eye.
Originally posted by bebn legg
Originally posted by yogui
Originally posted by Telinc1
It's a real translation of the entire site interface (and none of the user-generated content of course). Currently, only French is available (in a half-finished state), courtesy of bebn legg. More languages will be added if someone volunteers to translate the site.

Oh that's pretty great then. Merci beaucoup.
I'll try to browse smwc en français. #ab{:D}


I want to add, if you spot translation errors or have suggestions, please let me know! It's a big undertaking so I know there was a few spots where I'd accidentally inverted strings, for example, so it's helpful to have another set of eyes. #tb{:D}

Sure.

The main page says Bienvenue à SMW Central! I feels like Bienvenue sur SMW Central would be better.
If it was a place, à would work like Bienvenue à Paris, Bienvenue à la maison. But for internet, sur feels better, like Bienvenue sur mon blog, Bienvenue sur le forum, etc.
Maybe both are correct but it's just mon ressenti en tant que français.

Also depending if it's french canadian or french from France, some things can change like in France there's l'Espace fine insécable, aka a space before the ! and other punctuation signs : Bienvenue sur SMW Central !
But that's not too important.

I found some values aren't translated so they show the data name, should I report those?
Exemples:
At the top of forum threads, Link appears as actions.link in french
Your user title is Administrateurlist.manyGérant du Discordlist.lastModérateur de la musique SMW
In the last seen message: Dernière activité: il y a 38 minuteslist.two15 secondes
In the resources pages, the random button is menu.random
In the links page, sm64romhacks description is affiliates.description.sm64romhacks
Originally posted by yogui
The main page says Bienvenue à SMW Central! I feels like Bienvenue sur SMW Central would be better.
If it was a place, à would work like Bienvenue à Paris, Bienvenue à la maison. But for internet, sur feels better, like Bienvenue sur mon blog, Bienvenue sur le forum, etc.
Maybe both are correct but it's just mon ressenti en tant que français.

Also depending if it's french canadian or french from France, some things can change like in France there's l'Espace fine insécable, aka a space before the ! and other punctuation signs : Bienvenue sur SMW Central !
But that's not too important.

Yeah I speak Canadian French, so there's probably gonna be a lot of little nitpicks like that haha. We can figure out all the tiny details like the punctuation space by the end.

I always thought "à" worked for websites, but I could be wrong as well. Maybe it's just an anglicism on my part.

As for the valueless strings, I believe that's because of buttons getting added or shuffled around. The current state of translations dates back to like August, I believe. So for example, the Random button was added afterwards, and hence it doesn't have any value yet. It's definitely useful to report it; I'll take a look and possibly report it to Telinc as well if there's a technical issue.

The new theme is very interesting - oddly, it gives me the same vibe I get from looking at threads on Sonic Retro. I definitely still need a lot more time to get used to this; perhaps I'm just biased, but looking at the current site scheme on one monitor with the new theme on the other monitor, I kind of feel like the older theme is a bit easier on the eyes.

Originally posted by yoshiatom
That being said I'm glad SMWC2 is going to have an on-site Google search bar after oh so many years. I could have sworn there was some hassle that prevented the site from having one before so I wonder what changed between then and now.

The old search bar was part of Google Adsense, which allows you to include website search bars as one of its built-in features. It was removed when Kieran's Google Adsense account was revoked for "fraudulent clicking" or something like that, because I guess Google didn't like being associated with a hacking site. To be honest, I'm kind of surprised it took this long for a replacement to pop up, considering how many people have made threads asking about it over the years.

Probably unlikely, but what are the chances that the site's search feature will be ever be re-programmed so that it actually scans the forums and shows you results from within the site? I can see this being a lot more useful in the long run, since Google's results can't show you un-indexed threads like recent posts, and posts that are hidden from the public (i.e. Trash Can and Reality Corner threads).
Twitter
The handomest people in the world are ones who follow my Twitch
Did not expect SMWC2 to be announced so soon! I never tried SMWC2 during my brief stint as a staffman, and, at least visually, never saw it as more than a gimmick all about the "hey we got a sequel ha haaaaa", but I realize that it'll help propel SMWC into the future by allowing its codebase to be more manageable. That will always be something I'm in favour of, even if it's at the cost of users being able to personalize their experience through choosing their own theme. So in the end, I wish it could've been a combo package, I'm accepting a bigger win over a smaller loss, and I'll be mentally preparing for the day where I can no longer browse SMWC in the rain (best theme, don't @ me). I'll just weather it.

Pun intended.
Oh damn that sounds really promising. I hope the new interface doesn't try to go so hard into a minimalist aesthetic though.
Oh, I remember this.
I still prefer the current style, but I could probably get used to it.
I just hope it stays as "light" as the current site, it loads super quickly in whatever situation since it's so simple. This is something I like about old-styled sites. Also, they tend to be more compact.
Хуй войне!

桐生会FOREVER #ThankYouCoco / Rest in peace, Near, thank you for everything
I noticed post layouts are mostly broken in the mobile view.

Should we consider re-coding our post layouts to make it being web-responsive, or it would be disabled automatically in some ways?

(Edit: After some tweaking, my layout seems to be working pretty well on SMWC2 now!)