Banner
The Overworld Design Contest ends in
3 DAYS, 3 HOURS, 26 MINUTES AND 8 SECONDS
Views: 906,182,036
Time:
18 users online:  1UPdudes,  Atari2.0, awesomedude3000100, BlueToad, chickaDEE Magazine, DaHitmenGuy, Everest,  GlitchCat7,  K.T.B., Lotsaspaghetti, mae_86, Narcologer, Numble One Mushroom, qantuum, Rilla Roo, Rykon-V73, Selicre, swunsh_ - Guests: 96 - Bots: 67 Users: 50,791 (2,071 active)
Latest: Buoguto
Tip: You can create fancy HDMA effects with Effect Tool if you have zero ASM knowledge.
Not logged in.
Mario's Grand Adventure, Created by Apple Boy
Forum Index - SMW Hacking - Works in Progress - Mario's Grand Adventure, Created by Apple Boy
Pages: « 1 2 » Link
THE DEMO IS HERE! GET EXCITED!
Demo: https://bin.smwcentral.net/u/47437/Mario%2527s%2BGrand%2BAdventure%2BDemo.bps
Fair Warning, this demo is from an earlier stage in development than these screenshots, so there may be some minor or major differences from the Final Product.


Welcome to the Fungus Islands! Bowser has given up trying to kidnap Princess Peach (for now), and his son, Bowser Jr, has set his sights on the Fungus Islands. Mario, being on vacation there, naturally, has to stop Bowser Jr's plans, along with Luigi. Can the brothers stop the Colonization of the Islands?

The Title Screen

World 1's Map

World 2's Map

World 3's Map

World 4's Map

World 1-1: A Basic Grassland, complete with slopes!

World 1-C: The first Castle...(sniff)...smells like Layer 3!

Iggy Koopa: Huh. No Layer 3 here. Ah well, still a neat boss!

World 2-2: An Ancient Temple, with...a statue of Donkey Kong?!

World 3-2: A Frosty Cave, with pointy crystals.

World 4-3: An Abandoned Testing Facility, Watch out for that toxic goop!

I haven't made a screenshot for World 5's map yet, but I'll tell you that it's beach themed, nor have I made a screenshot for World 6's map, which is volcano themed..

Thanks for checking out what I have so far!

- Apple Boy
This hack looks promising. How many exits will the finished project have in the end? (well, assuming you planned that far ahead, that is!)

-----------

STELLA!
For me, these levels are amazing!

--------------------



List Soundtrack - List Hacks
Originally posted by Arash
This hack looks promising. How many exits will the finished project have in the end? (well, assuming you planned that far ahead, that is!)

Well, so far, the hack has...(checks notes)...20 Exits. All in 4 Worlds. There's at least 2 more worlds planned. I have no clue how many exits the finished project will have.
looks like a lot of fun in this hack, there may be new bosses#smw{o_O?}
Originally posted by jardeson01
looks like a lot of fun in this hack, there may be new bosses#smw{o_O?}

Only 2, haha. PIXI stopped working with my ROM after I put in some broken sprites (not used in game). We have Iggy Koopa, as featured above, and a secret boss from another franchise!
Originally posted by AppleBoy54321
Originally posted by Arash
This hack looks promising. How many exits will the finished project have in the end? (well, assuming you planned that far ahead, that is!)

Well, so far, the hack has...(checks notes)...20 Exits. All in 4 Worlds. There's at least 2 more worlds planned. I have no clue how many exits the finished project will have.

Sounds like about 30 exits, possibly more if you include secret exits, and if you decide to include a "Special Zone".

I'll probably keep an eye on it for the time being.

-----------

STELLA!
THE DEMO IS FINALLY HERE! On Mario Day too, no less. So, this demo of the game contains only the first three worlds. I hope from the bottom of my heart that you enjoy what I've created, so far.
I just played through all of world 1, and the first levels of world 2, and I'd like to offer some constructive criticism, if I may. I've never really done this before so please bear with me and keep in mind that anything I'm about to say is genuinely meant in a helpful manner!

I really enjoy the level design so far, and as far as graphics and music choices go, they're excellent. I have a few nitpicks in particular that I'd like to lay out:

The world 1 boss, in my opinion, is incredibly difficult. I'm not sure if that's intentional, but with the lack of powerups in the level and the fact that he gets I-frames when he's about to attack made me actually have to savestate to beat him. The idea is good, and the platforms add a lot of challenge especially when he starts jumping around in his shell, but yeah. It was hard. I found myself going all the way back to the tutorial level to get a quick mushroom every time, then resorted to savestates to beat him.

In 1-3, I believe it was, the rain is a really nice touch, but I think it would be better applied if it was a layer trick or something. It covered up the powerups in the level, and generally looked odd in some spots. Still, the aesthetic and tone of the level were my favorite so far.

In 2-2, there is a jump that is almost impossible to make. I couldn't get a screenshot, but there's some blocks with a powerup and 1-up in them, then a platform with a dry bones, then a narrow area with another dry bones. Jumping into that narrow space is nearly impossible unless you're either small or really good at duck-jumping. I'm not sure if it's intentional or not, but even with wall jumps I could barely make it. This was when I actually got a bit frustrated and put the game down, so I haven't progressed past this point.

All in all, I'd say my only major gripe that seems even slightly consistent is the lack of powerups in levels; 2-1 didn't have any at all, unless I'm mistaken. However, other than what I mentioned, I really enjoyed it so far and will give it another chance tonight or tomorrow to see the rest of it! I hope these points can help you squeeze out some issues with the game and hopefully provide some sound advice for the rest of its development.

Sorry for the novel. I hope you don't mind.
Originally posted by KDJewl
I just played through all of world 1, and the first levels of world 2, and I'd like to offer some constructive criticism, if I may. I've never really done this before so please bear with me and keep in mind that anything I'm about to say is genuinely meant in a helpful manner!

I really enjoy the level design so far, and as far as graphics and music choices go, they're excellent. I have a few nitpicks in particular that I'd like to lay out:

The world 1 boss, in my opinion, is incredibly difficult. I'm not sure if that's intentional, but with the lack of powerups in the level and the fact that he gets I-frames when he's about to attack made me actually have to savestate to beat him. The idea is good, and the platforms add a lot of challenge especially when he starts jumping around in his shell, but yeah. It was hard. I found myself going all the way back to the tutorial level to get a quick mushroom every time, then resorted to savestates to beat him.

In 1-4, the rain is a really nice touch, but I think it would be better applied if it was a layer trick or something. It covered up the powerups in the level, and generally looked odd in some spots. Still, the aesthetic and tone of the level were my favorite so far.

In 2-2, there is a jump that is almost impossible to make. I couldn't get a screenshot, but there's some blocks with a powerup and 1-up in them, then a platform with a dry bones, then a narrow area with another dry bones. Jumping into that narrow space is nearly impossible unless you're either small or really good at duck-jumping. I'm not sure if it's intentional or not, but even with wall jumps I could barely make it. This was when I actually got a bit frustrated and put the game down, so I haven't progressed past this point.

All in all, I'd say my only major gripe that seems even slightly consistent is the lack of powerups in levels; 2-1 didn't have any at all, unless I'm mistaken. However, other than what I mentioned, I really enjoyed it so far and will give it another chance tonight or tomorrow to see the rest of it! I hope these points can help you squeeze out some issues with the game and hopefully provide some sound advice for the rest of its development.

Sorry for the novel. I hope you don't mind.

Don't worry about the novel! This is an earlier version of what I currently have, after all! The Temple Shown in the screenshot is the final version, and I can't do anything regarding the sprite, because there are RATS in my ROM that makes PIXI impossible to use, and the sprite was made with I-Frames to begin with.
Quote
Don't worry about the novel! This is an earlier version of what I currently have, after all! The Temple Shown in the screenshot is the final version, and I can't do anything regarding the sprite, because there are RATS in my ROM that makes PIXI impossible to use, and the sprite was made with I-Frames to begin with.


I did realize after that I didn't mention anything about it being an earlier version that what you were currently working on; hopefully none of my comments came off as too harsh considering that!

For the boss, I think just a simple powerup after the midway point would help to balance it out a little. Unless there was a hidden one I missed, it was pretty frustrating to have to go back to an earlier level just to get one. This also falls in line with the fact that there is no item reserve anymore, so perhaps I'm just not used to that haha.
Originally posted by KDJewl
Quote
Don't worry about the novel! This is an earlier version of what I currently have, after all! The Temple Shown in the screenshot is the final version, and I can't do anything regarding the sprite, because there are RATS in my ROM that makes PIXI impossible to use, and the sprite was made with I-Frames to begin with.


I did realize after that I didn't mention anything about it being an earlier version that what you were currently working on; hopefully none of my comments came off as too harsh considering that!

For the boss, I think just a simple powerup after the midway point would help to balance it out a little. Unless there was a hidden one I missed, it was pretty frustrating to have to go back to an earlier level just to get one. This also falls in line with the fact that there is no item reserve anymore, so perhaps I'm just not used to that haha.

Nah, pal, you're ok! You weren't harsh at all! As for no item reserve, that's actually the very first thing I got rid of. And a powerup after the midway point, yeah. That seems like a good idea!
Hopefully I helped bring a couple things to light! I really enjoyed the rest of what I've played so far, and will probably give the rest a try tonight after work. Your level design is great and it's nice to play something so inspiring while working on my own hack. Looking forward to seeing your progress on this going forward!!
Originally posted by KDJewl
Hopefully I helped bring a couple things to light! I really enjoyed the rest of what I've played so far, and will probably give the rest a try tonight after work. Your level design is great and it's nice to play something so inspiring while working on my own hack. Looking forward to seeing your progress on this going forward!!

Thanks, man! Good luck with your hack!
So...I've settled on a few things, when it comes to this hack, of course! The final world count will be 6 Worlds. The hack will be releasing sometime during Summer C3 2021. I hope you will all enjoy it when it releases!
Cool beans. I'll revisit this hack sometime when it's close to completion. I've got my hands tied right now lol

-----------

STELLA!
So...the school I'm going to is returning to a full in-person schedule, so Mario's Grand Adventure's development is going to be a bit slower after April, but return to normal as the summer begins. That's all, just a bit of a development update.
So...big news! The final level has just been completed, and my playtester, is helping me in identifying bugs, and overall improving the game, for the release of the game, sometime in May. Yep! I finally came up with a concrete release month! I hope you'll all enjoy the game when it releases!
Looking forward to this one, it really looks cheery and fun.

--------------------
C3 stuff: http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=67626 HDMA-Codes and Custom Music included!

1 Island Of Vanilla Feeling: http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a=details&id=5988

MaSeHiHa World 1: http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a=details&id=6055

DINGS Demo: https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a=details&id=12147

Originally posted by Neidave
Looking forward to this one, it really looks cheery and fun.

You're looking forward to it? Aw, thanks! I'm really nervous about the release, though. Any tips?
Pages: « 1 2 » Link
Forum Index - SMW Hacking - Works in Progress - Mario's Grand Adventure, Created by Apple Boy

The purpose of this site is not to distribute copyrighted material, but to honor one of our favourite games.

Copyright © 2005 - 2021 - SMW Central
Legal Information - Privacy Policy - Link To Us


Menu

Follow Us On

  • YouTube
  • Twitch
  • Twitter

Affiliates

  • Super Mario Bros. X Community
  • ROMhacking.net
  • Mario Fan Games Galaxy
  • sm64romhacks