Language…
4 users online:  Ahrion, Emera1ds,  MarioFanGamer, TR618 - Guests: 154 - Bots: 165
Users: 66,532 (2,384 active)
Latest user: Cuzinspace

Super Mario World: 30th Anniversary Edition™ (6-23-24)

Standard

Fanatical like a Demon
Originally posted by Mariotag1
Possibly a stupid response, but if you were to update again, what would be the content?
I'm trying to figure out which version to have, and which emulator to run it on.
||Last I checked, the secret exits for Star Road were unaltered.||

The star road exits were always altered to some degree but if you somehow have one that doesn't then you have an OOOLLLLLLDDDD ass version (talking maybe 3 years). As for emulators, ever since the inception of the hack, the aim was always hardware accuracy and by extension bsnes. The hack for the most part works fine on inaccurate emulators but things have been observed hence the warning message you now see. Speaking of updates...

New update. Decided to hold out for the movie's release. This updated fixes some bugs related to Yoshi, fixed the weird bug in the presents screen where colors would randomly flash, fixed enemies no longer interacting with blocks when dying in a somewhat more controlled manner that allows a few that depend on interaction to continue interaction (blurps, wigglers, chucks in certain conditions, etc), and redid the the mario bros minigame physics to match closer to the original as well as make you accurately start off with 3 lives. A standalone version of this game is in the works for those that want just that alone and not bundled with SMW 30. As always, new updates link is in the OP.
Major thanks to Suika Ibuki for layout!
I'm open for music requests, just DM me on discord and we can further discuss there.
SMAS Soundtrack Status: 100% finished
YI Soundtrack Status: 100%
YI Unsampled Soundtrack Status: 100%
NSMB Soundtrack Status: 7.89%
Killer Instinct Soundtrack Status: 14.63%
SPC Thread
From our family to you, keep your pants dry, your dreams wet, and remember, hugs not drugs.
how i get all dragon coins of chocolate island level 2(after ghost house) ?
Man, Forest Fortress was way too hard in hard mode and for the wrong reasons too. First off, the L3 smasher's RNG is unpredictable and varies significantly under some major circumstances. For instance, every time you re-enter the same or different level, the RNG isn't consistent. If you're big or small, the RNG varies within the level as well. The only circumstance it is consistent is when you reset the whole game and load your last save file. Because of this alone, I spent over two hours just to beat the level. Was this intended?

Second off is the magikoopa RNG in the second section. If you're truly unlucky, the purple magikoopa spawns and he can summon magic straight from the sky. Sometimes you can't dodge it at all and end up tanking a hit. At least there are plenty of powerups in the second section to make this a bit easier and Reznor isn't insane to dodge.

I think the major problem here was the L3 smasher's RNG alone. I'm not sure if you could feasibly fix it, but if you could, I'm sure the first section would be far, far better.
My Mode 0 guide.

My Discord server. It has a lot of archived ASM stuff, so check that out!

Fanatical like a Demon
Originally posted by Anas
Man, Forest Fortress was way too hard in hard mode and for the wrong reasons too. First off, the L3 smasher's RNG is unpredictable and varies significantly under some major circumstances. For instance, every time you re-enter the same or different level, the RNG isn't consistent. If you're big or small, the RNG varies within the level as well. The only circumstance it is consistent is when you reset the whole game and load your last save file. Because of this alone, I spent over two hours just to beat the level. Was this intended?

Second off is the magikoopa RNG in the second section. If you're truly unlucky, the purple magikoopa spawns and he can summon magic straight from the sky. Sometimes you can't dodge it at all and end up tanking a hit. At least there are plenty of powerups in the second section to make this a bit easier and Reznor isn't insane to dodge.

I think the major problem here was the L3 smasher's RNG alone. I'm not sure if you could feasibly fix it, but if you could, I'm sure the first section would be far, far better.

Forest Fortress is in world 5, so pretty much a bit further than the middle of the game, it’s supposed to be getting rather hard at this point. The fortress in particular though you are right in that it is indeed hard in comparison to that worlds levels. The reason the level is hard is bc it’s a level that guards a star road exit which doesn’t have a well hidden secret exit so to keep up with the theme of making star road entrances harder to reach the level has been made harder. I added a lot of chances for powerups in that second room precisely for the reasons listed. The rng is vanilla rng minus the reloading of the seeds.
Major thanks to Suika Ibuki for layout!
I'm open for music requests, just DM me on discord and we can further discuss there.
SMAS Soundtrack Status: 100% finished
YI Soundtrack Status: 100%
YI Unsampled Soundtrack Status: 100%
NSMB Soundtrack Status: 7.89%
Killer Instinct Soundtrack Status: 14.63%
SPC Thread
From our family to you, keep your pants dry, your dreams wet, and remember, hugs not drugs.
Originally posted by LadiesMan217
Originally posted by Anas
Man, Forest Fortress was way too hard in hard mode and for the wrong reasons too. First off, the L3 smasher's RNG is unpredictable and varies significantly under some major circumstances. For instance, every time you re-enter the same or different level, the RNG isn't consistent. If you're big or small, the RNG varies within the level as well. The only circumstance it is consistent is when you reset the whole game and load your last save file. Because of this alone, I spent over two hours just to beat the level. Was this intended?

Second off is the magikoopa RNG in the second section. If you're truly unlucky, the purple magikoopa spawns and he can summon magic straight from the sky. Sometimes you can't dodge it at all and end up tanking a hit. At least there are plenty of powerups in the second section to make this a bit easier and Reznor isn't insane to dodge.

I think the major problem here was the L3 smasher's RNG alone. I'm not sure if you could feasibly fix it, but if you could, I'm sure the first section would be far, far better.

Forest Fortress is in world 5, so pretty much a bit further than the middle of the game, it’s supposed to be getting rather hard at this point. The fortress in particular though you are right in that it is indeed hard in comparison to that worlds levels. The reason the level is hard is bc it’s a level that guards a star road exit which doesn’t have a well hidden secret exit so to keep up with the theme of making star road entrances harder to reach the level has been made harder. I added a lot of chances for powerups in that second room precisely for the reasons listed. The rng is vanilla rng minus the reloading of the seeds.


I understand that it must be hard, but still, the L3 smasher is still too frustrating and probably unfair since you can't precisely tell seconds in advance where it'll strike. Perhaps you could edit the smasher's tilemap to show indicators below so the player might see it in advance and do something about it. That or increase the time the smasher stalls before it falls fast to the ground.

Also, on the topic of QoL SMA2 features, why didn't you implement these features? Would make lots of sense after all since this hack implements lots of stuff from that game, but I totally understand if they caused some unwanted issues. Also, I think dragon coins should be saved after touching checkpoints, because saving the game saves your current checkpoint in a level, but the checkpoint itself doesn't save the coins. This is annoying if you collected a checkpoint in a hard level but died before getting all dragon coins.

I happened to encounter a few small bugs while playing through the hack. First of all, if you spin-jump on a dino-rhino in hard mode, it could potentially spawn a fireball right below your feet and hit you unfairly. I think I encounted the same bug with that particular sprite in my own hack. Also, if you enter Forest of Illusion from Chocolate Island's side, the Lakitu's shadow may be improperly flipped for a few seconds but then come back to normal. Maybe this happens when the blue jay comes in the submap?

Anyways, that's all for now. Whatever more issues I find, I'll let you know soon!
My Mode 0 guide.

My Discord server. It has a lot of archived ASM stuff, so check that out!

*edit* Anyone played this on SNES Mini please? Used the SMRPG code to load and it crashed on the first switch palace with a black screen for the text box. Using SMW with SA-1 has weird sound/slowdown. Tried a few more and they all weird out. Canoe save states don't work (as expected, like APFAS and other SA-1 hacks they have odd effects due to mapping). Anyone made it work?



This looks very nice. I'm surprised you didn't change the music. Lightly remixed and refreshed versions of the classic tunes would really add to the experience. Purists might complain, I think its a nice switch up..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWKVojAug1U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGZpiQcl0nc

This person is very talented and could create great mixes for SMW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJrHdupWfW8


Has anyone finished it on hard mode? What were your thoughts? What would you change? What did you like? What irritated you? What made you grin?
Originally posted by erpster2
Vanilla Dome 1 level in the V3 version has a message block that shows nothing



add a message or remove the message block entirely from this level


This is exactly the issue I have on SNES Mini at the Switch Palace before it crashes.


Originally posted by Cornholio309
- For some odd reason, there was a change that partially broke this ROM hack's compatibility with SNES9X's 3DS port. When the player reaches a Switch Palace and presses a Switch, the message box pop-up causes the game to crash with some nasty graphical glitches and the audio engine just dying outright. To confirm it wasn't an issue with the ROM file I was using, I've tried the ROM hack with several other hacks that modify the Switch Palaces and had no issue. Using libretro's Snes9x 2005 Plus Core also works fine. I'm unsure what change might have caused this issue? I assume this isn't high priority as the emulator's accuracy is lower than most modern standards, but felt it was worth pointing out. I can provide more information if necessary. Just a slight bummer to an amazing hack since I prefer to play SNES titles on my 3DS with it.
.


Same issue but on Canoe, SNES Mini.

Originally posted by LadiesMan217
Normally I don't try to solve issues outside of BSNES but since some people were saying they were having this issue on BSNES I did a compromise. If you can't click B to continue for whatever reason, the screen will continue to the game by itself after a few seconds.]


I've just read through this entire thread looking for solutions and noticed this. The blank Switch Palace crash message seems to be the only issue preventing this being played on a SNES Mini.

For me its the only emulation option and its so nice to have something legit, on the TV with a proper controller. Do you have any idea what could be causing this issue?

I've tried every single variable on the Mini side to tweak the emulator but it always crashes at the Switch Palace. Would appreciate a fix if you can because this really seems to be the ultimate version of the game and you can tell how much effort has been put in.

Thanks


*edit* Tested upto the 2nd Switch Palace and that also makes the game crash so its definitely something in that part of the hack. I'd be happy with a version with all the Switch Palaces pre-activated so you can bypass these areas if that is an easier fix for the Mini?
Does anyone have a fully completed SRM of this rom please?
Hmmm, is this the last version?
Anyone have any pointers on how I could hex edit the blocks flag and bypass the switch palaces?

The developer has made it clear he isn't interested in helping to make this work on the Snes Mini and that seems to be the only issue with compatibility.

Does everyone on here look down on the Mini or something? Is that not what the cool kids do?
Fanatical like a Demon
Updated sma2 Luigi physics which fixes misc inaccuracies/bugs and changes climbing speeds on vines if x/y is held like sma2 courtesy of Lui), fixed Luigi not being able to jump high off enemies, added blinking animation for when the lakitu cloud timer is about to disappear, and added a pose if failing a bonus game (brought to my attention by Anas). As always, update is linked in the OP.

Originally posted by Coco
This looks very nice. I'm surprised you didn't change the music. Lightly remixed and refreshed versions of the classic tunes would really add to the experience. Purists might complain, I think its a nice switch up..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWKVojAug1U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGZpiQcl0nc

This person is very talented and could create great mixes for SMW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJrHdupWfW8

I'll definitely have to check some of these out but they probably wouldn't replace any of the music as the hack was intended to more or less feel like a remaster of the original game and not a remake. I feel like this is something that maybe could be applied to the Super Mario World Redone hack?

Originally posted by Coco
The developer has made it clear he isn't interested in helping to make this work on the Snes Mini and that seems to be the only issue with compatibility.

To my knowledge this is actually most romhacking developers bc we only fix problems we cause, not what inaccurate emulators cause. If the game works more or less perfect on legitimate hardware (an actual SNES, not the flashcarts, Super NT, SNES mini, ect), there's no need fix what's not broken. What actually needs fixing is the emulators themselves which is up to the developer of those.

Originally posted by Coco
Does everyone on here look down on the Mini or something? Is that not what the cool kids do?

I wouldn't exactly say they do but the SNES mini is NOT an accurate emulator. Hell SNES9X is more accurate. A lot of people do find it funny tho considering Nintendo themselves have the blueprints for the actual thing made a pretty basic emulator (probably just to run the games it came with and nothing else). iirc someone made a list with examples of games that don't work on it.

My only advice is to either play it on emulator bc unless you're only posting here on mobile it's you're best option for a better experience. The alternatives are to simply play the hack without playing the switch palaces (they don't count for completion at all and the hack is doable even in hard mode without them) or join either the SMWCentral Discord server or the SNESLab Discord server and ask for help there since that's where the community is more active.

Originally posted by Coco
Has anyone finished it on hard mode? What were your thoughts? What would you change? What did you like? What irritated you? What made you grin?
Major thanks to Suika Ibuki for layout!
I'm open for music requests, just DM me on discord and we can further discuss there.
SMAS Soundtrack Status: 100% finished
YI Soundtrack Status: 100%
YI Unsampled Soundtrack Status: 100%
NSMB Soundtrack Status: 7.89%
Killer Instinct Soundtrack Status: 14.63%
SPC Thread
From our family to you, keep your pants dry, your dreams wet, and remember, hugs not drugs.
Is there a trick to beating Ludwig on hard mode? He throws faster fireballs but seems completely invulnerable through every phase of his battle.
Fanatical like a Demon
Originally posted by nbuubu
Is there a trick to beating Ludwig on hard mode? He throws faster fireballs but seems completely invulnerable through every phase of his battle.

Did you read the message box in the room prior?
Major thanks to Suika Ibuki for layout!
I'm open for music requests, just DM me on discord and we can further discuss there.
SMAS Soundtrack Status: 100% finished
YI Soundtrack Status: 100%
YI Unsampled Soundtrack Status: 100%
NSMB Soundtrack Status: 7.89%
Killer Instinct Soundtrack Status: 14.63%
SPC Thread
From our family to you, keep your pants dry, your dreams wet, and remember, hugs not drugs.
Thanks, yeah I did, been trying to hit him before he lands but the hitbox isn't consistent. Most times that I hit him in air causes Mario damage, and very rarely does a hit on mid-air Ludwig register.

Edit: Will have to cheese through it with save-states, I don't think I have the skills to do it clean. Can sometimes get it to hit with perfect timing but it seems like a very very small window that he's vulnerable.
Fanatical like a Demon
Originally posted by nbuubu
Thanks, yeah I did, been trying to hit him before he lands but the hitbox isn't consistent. Most times that I hit him in air causes Mario damage, and very rarely does a hit on mid-air Ludwig register.

It’s right before he lands. If he’s still facing towards the “camera” it’s not time. When he starts shifting back to the side view that’s when you stomp on him.
Major thanks to Suika Ibuki for layout!
I'm open for music requests, just DM me on discord and we can further discuss there.
SMAS Soundtrack Status: 100% finished
YI Soundtrack Status: 100%
YI Unsampled Soundtrack Status: 100%
NSMB Soundtrack Status: 7.89%
Killer Instinct Soundtrack Status: 14.63%
SPC Thread
From our family to you, keep your pants dry, your dreams wet, and remember, hugs not drugs.
Originally posted by LadiesMan217
Originally posted by nbuubu
Thanks, yeah I did, been trying to hit him before he lands but the hitbox isn't consistent. Most times that I hit him in air causes Mario damage, and very rarely does a hit on mid-air Ludwig register.

It’s right before he lands. If he’s still facing towards the “camera” it’s not time. When he starts shifting back to the side view that’s when you stomp on him.


Thanks.

Edit: Love the game, thanks for all the effort making it.

I've found all the secret codes, and have a doc of them all, but it'd be awesome if there were a menu page unlocked that allowed them to be selected again once entered.
Originally posted by LadiesMan217
To my knowledge this is actually most romhacking developers bc we only fix problems we cause, not what inaccurate emulators cause. If the game works more or less perfect on legitimate hardware (an actual SNES, not the flashcarts, Super NT, SNES mini, ect), there's no need fix what's not broken. What actually needs fixing is the emulators themselves which is up to the developer of those.


Yes, its a very limited emulator but its also very responsive and the real controllers are nice on a proper screen. I appreciate the fact that it works on hardware/real emulator but some of us only have Minis. Nintendo obviously won't be updating their very hacky emulator for this and 90% of the titles work anyone. There aren't any modders working on the code either which is why I asked you as the dev for help.


Originally posted by LadiesMan217
I wouldn't exactly say they do but the SNES mini is NOT an accurate emulator. Hell SNES9X is more accurate. A lot of people do find it funny tho considering Nintendo themselves have the blueprints for the actual thing made a pretty basic emulator (probably just to run the games it came with and nothing else). iirc someone made a list with examples of games that don't work on it.

My only advice is to either play it on emulator bc unless you're only posting here on mobile it's you're best option for a better experience. The alternatives are to simply play the hack without playing the switch palaces (they don't count for completion at all and the hack is doable even in hard mode without them) or join either the SMWCentral Discord server or the SNESLab Discord server and ask for help there since that's where the community is more active.


Yes, I am posting from an old phone and the Mini is my gaming device. I didn't know you could star96 the game without the SPs? I thought they counted toward the total as the level count definitely increased on the original.

The completionist in me wants to play this properly as you've obviously put a lot of effort in. I mentioned in another thread that I like hacks that feel authentic and this really does that so its a bit frustrating about the SP issue. I don't have Discord but are there any devs there that could help there or are you the only one with the source code?

As far as I can tell whatever caused this:



On the V3 version may be the same problem. Do you have the patch for the older versions of this hack like V1 and V2? I'll test them on the Mini and see if they have the same issue as it might just be a simple bug fix needed. It would be quite amazing if its only a random glitch thats making the Mini freeze so lets test the variables with work you've already done and see please.
Fanatical like a Demon
The screenshot looks to be an older version of the hack which I never recommend anyone play. As posted yesterday, a new update came out and I advise you try that. As for the source, in oversimplification yes, I’m the only person with all assets unique to this hack. While I am the creator of the hack, it was just put together by the little bit of asm I learned on my own with the help of friends to help code more advance things. I couldn’t help even if I wanted to bc I don’t have an snes mini nor know how I would go about debugging. Even if an older version works the completionist in you would probably not like knowing that the e reader levels are unique to only the “final” version onwards so you’d be missing out on 38 bonus levels, Mario bros classic, as well as more additions. It’s not much to make a discord to join and ask or if you’re firm on not making one for whatever reason just make a thread on the site asking for help. Maybe someone might know what’s going on bc you’re the first person to be experiencing these bugs on an snes mini (I’ve had at least 2 people play the hack and this problem never rise up or at least was never mentioned to me).
Major thanks to Suika Ibuki for layout!
I'm open for music requests, just DM me on discord and we can further discuss there.
SMAS Soundtrack Status: 100% finished
YI Soundtrack Status: 100%
YI Unsampled Soundtrack Status: 100%
NSMB Soundtrack Status: 7.89%
Killer Instinct Soundtrack Status: 14.63%
SPC Thread
From our family to you, keep your pants dry, your dreams wet, and remember, hugs not drugs.
I tried the updated version, same issue.

What did you change about the Switch Palace? Its strange it would glitch there on Snes Mini because everything else is great. Even A Plumber For All Seasons works and that is very customized so I think why this one crash?

Did those two people play on Snes Mini? If so ask them how they did please. If you have the older version BPS I'd like to check that to see if it works. Also I did make a thread for help:

https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=124459

Idea mine is to edit the save file if SP is only problem.
Originally posted by B. Gangster
Hmmm, is this the last version?
I guess the answer is sort of

Standard