Language…
17 users online: Agorija, Ahrion, anonimzwx, Bramz, Daizo Dee Von, edballsjr., Elie Barnes, GrenCarret, Impetus, JokerGamerOk, Ondore's Lies,  patcdr, sio-kedelic,  ThirdWall, underway, wir4lor, Ziz - Guests: 84 - Bots: 196
Users: 55,665 (2,414 active)
Latest user: lincolnic

Super Yoshi World

Link Thread Closed
Story:
Mario, Peach and all the Yoshis were kidnapped! No chances anymore for the Mushroom Kingdom? Yes - but a small one! Baby Yoshi wasn't kidnapped. Now he has to recue the whole Mushroom Kingdom!

PICTURES:
INFO: These pictures are older than the Demo 1 you find below!



The first level "Yellow Switch ahead!" (the Yoshi Coin and the pipe are only there one time)


This is the Babies Room. How to get up?


Yoshi's Island!

Problems:
Only some small problems.

- Custom Sprites don't work
- Custom Blocks too
- Text isn't shown after beating a boss

Demo 1:Download at RapidShare
First subworld with endless loop after Iggy ^^

NEW: Userbar!

Thanks for the userbar to WhiteYoshiEgg!
Image:
http://tinyurl.com/56xjf9

PLEASE DON'T DEAL SEVERELY WITH ME - I'M STILL A NOOB
Your layout has been removed.
I didn't play the game yet but looking at the screenshots:


Why have the player start one block higher?
The edges don't line up in the top right.
The note blocks cut off the ground. You can't see them anyway, so it doesn't matter.
Don't use the small door as your only way out. What if the player is big? Disregard that, I saw why now

The overworld is a little messed up. At the top, you need to make the bottom of the ledge.
You have some transparency problems in the castle and bridge.

I'll need to play the first level to completely see what's going on there. I'll post any more things I find after I play it.
Zach, There are invisible note blocks there...
Your layout has been removed.
I know there are invisible note blocks now, I said that was before I played the hack.

OK, here's what I have after playing the hack.

- In the intro level, there shouldn't be a door there, and the message doesn't appear until you bounce on the note blocks?
- Also, Yoshi with a mushroom looks the same as little yoshi. Don't know if that's going to change or not, it just looks a little strange.
- In Yellow Switch Ahead, if you don't press anything on the control pad after flying out of the pipe to begin the level, you die. You should put something there to land on.

- Flying Yoshi is glitched.
- Cheep Cheep Lake was so incredibly boring. In the torpedo part, all you have to do is swim at the top of the bones and stop every once in a while and you're fine, and after the hammer, I literally held the turbo and walked right and I was fine for the rest of the level.
- Why have the exit look like it's fake and have a message saying it's not? Just fix the land so the player can see it!


-Iggy's Castle: It took my fifteen jumps into a pit with flying koopas to realize THOSE POLES ARE "VINES"! Give some sort of warning or use ExGFX to illustrate this.

-Cutoff ground.

-This took me twenty tries to get right, too.

-Yoshi: "Oh look, a leap of faith. Guess I'll just have to jump and hope it's safe down there..."

- "...WTF???? SPIKES??? How could I have seen that coming?"

- "Oh look, Iggy can stand on air, so I guess I can take advantage of that glitch too?..."

- "Guess not!"
- And, as you said, there is an infinite glitch after beating the castle.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this:
- Yellow Switch Ahead doesn't destroy after you push the switch, so you can't beat the level if you try again.
[Credit for avatar]
--Title Screen--
In the title screen, there are some black pixels to the left of the W, left over from the O in MARIO WORLD, so here's how you would go about fixing that: in GFX29, you should be able to find the title screen graphics for the W and be able to erase that string of excess pixels. Set it to 2bpp GB for viewing in YY-CHR, and maybe load a .ZST saved on the title screen so you can see the right colors, and just draw over the extra stuff with the transparency colors and save. (You can also make new font for it to have "SUPER YOSHI WORLD" all the same size.)


--Intro--
When you finally get up top in the intro, the message displays. This is intentional, but there's something I would like to suggest to make levels where you need to go up a lot easier to manage. In a hex editor, go to address 7A78, and change D0 to 80 so that if you have vertical scrolling at will enabled, the camera will always scroll with Yoshi so that you don't have to wait until he hits the ground before the camera scrolls to him.


--Story--
I'm kind of curious if there's anything you're going to add to the plot along the way. Kidnappings are commonplace in SMW hacks. Maybe there are some more conflicts you want to add along the way for the Yoshi to conquer, but that is entirely up to you. It's fun to have a few characters and to give them all backstories and some sort of interaction, and have some room for character development and events that would change their perspective on things, regardless of genre. This is a platformer, and because platformers rarely have strong emphasis, this would be a great treat to gamers if you did have that story emphasis there.


--Levels--
In the switch palace level, there's a big problem with the level entry. If you aren't holding B when the level begins, you fall right between the pipes and die. You'll have to do a bit of remodeling and testing to eliminate that problem. Also, on the overworld, you will need to enable the save prompt on the switch palace.

Yoshi has a few weird frames, mostly with the flying. Hopefully you don't mind me posting these screens, since it's not really your fault, it's the patch you used to replace Mario with Yoshi:


A cutoff nose.


Cape disattached to back, weird random hand behind Yoshi grabbing the cape.


Nose dive looks weird on the cape part of it this time.

Yoshi's character graphics are in GFX32 if you think you can correct these errors. I have this feeling that because of how the cape looks, you might want to try something else, like drawing a set of wings instead, and mess around with the cape offsets to get it aligned with Small Yoshi's back.

The ground palette of the Cheep Cheep Lake level doesn't seem right to me. You can go to Level -> Enable Custom Palette and make new colors for it that only affect this level. The foreground here uses the first half of palette 2.

The castle also has an issue with the music blocks. Not only do they have the wrong graphics when stepped on as a result of being incompatible with the Castle sprite index, but it is also extremely hard to consistently run across them without being flung up into the spikes. Perhaps a tricky part that's more predictable will be appropriate, like having a few cement blocks over lava, or a line-guided Grinder (the round saw) to spin-jump across a pit. (For the Grinder, you will need those blue conveyor ending things on the sides of the lines.)

I do have a complaint about some of the levels, namely Cheep Cheep Lake, in terms of design alone. The whole first half seems to be just dodging torpedoes by swimming over them, so I think you should find ideas for new things to put in place over some of them for variety. It's important not to prolong a single idea for more than a screen or two, because the player will become bored or frustrated. Also with the end of the lake, just not have the ground dip below to the bottom row. The message box can be used for something else or removed.

Lastly, I'd either take out the spikes above the door of the castle or use coins to guide the player away from them while falling.


--Overworld--
With the overworld, I would suggest replacing the green waterfall tiles with normal grass because the way it's animated doesn't really seem grassy to me, and I think you were trying to catch the feeling of grass moving in the wind. It's a bit strange. Maybe add a few hills and rocks, or even an Elder Yoshi's house to go to where he can give you an obscure tip for a level in the future that you would probably need. Also, the switch palace is discolored. Perhaps you would want to use a switch palace that appears the correct color on that submap, or change the palettes so that the yellow switch displays correctly, BUT you may mess up some other things.

Also, the OW Yoshi on some frames is a bit dislocated.

You can find him in GFX10, and you may want to use the original GFX10 from a SMW ROM that didn't have that file edited so you know which frames are which. You might need to draw a new Yoshi to get it realigned.

Lastly, on the overworld, part of the bridge looks discolored over the water. Maybe you can touch it up by either replacing it with a bridge with a blue BG behind it, or by making small islands "under" the bridges so it looks like the bridge is being supported, and to put the castle on one of those islands so that it seems more believable. The grassy wall at the top looks cutoff since the brown of the grass has no definable region where it meets the water, like an outline, so try to create that.

Just look above you...
If it's something that can be stopped, then just try to stop it!
Originally posted by Kyoseron
--Title Screen--
In the title screen, there are some black pixels to the left of the W, left over from the O in MARIO WORLD, so here's how you would go about fixing that: in GFX29, you should be able to find the title screen graphics for the W and be able to erase that string of excess pixels. Set it to 2bpp GB for viewing in YY-CHR, and maybe load a .ZST saved on the title screen so you can see the right colors, and just draw over the extra stuff with the transparency colors and save. (You can also make new font for it to have "SUPER YOSHI WORLD" all the same size.)


Okay, I'll do this!

Originally posted by Kyoseron
--Intro--
When you finally get up top in the intro, the message displays. This is intentional, but there's something I would like to suggest to make levels where you need to go up a lot easier to manage. In a hex editor, go to address 7A78, and change D0 to 80 so that if you have vertical scrolling at will enabled, the camera will always scroll with Yoshi so that you don't have to wait until he hits the ground before the camera scrolls to him.


I did it another way.

Originally posted by Kyoseron
--Story--
I'm kind of curious if there's anything you're going to add to the plot along the way. Kidnappings are commonplace in SMW hacks. Maybe there are some more conflicts you want to add along the way for the Yoshi to conquer, but that is entirely up to you. It's fun to have a few characters and to give them all backstories and some sort of interaction, and have some room for character development and events that would change their perspective on things, regardless of genre. This is a platformer, and because platformers rarely have strong emphasis, this would be a great treat to gamers if you did have that story emphasis there.


Did I said that there are no surprises? ;-)

Originally posted by Kyoseron
--Levels--
In the switch palace level, there's a big problem with the level entry. If you aren't holding B when the level begins, you fall right between the pipes and die. You'll have to do a bit of remodeling and testing to eliminate that problem. Also, on the overworld, you will need to enable the save prompt on the switch palace.</div></div>

1.: I quite like this. 2.: Done.

Originally posted by Kyoseron
Yoshi has a few weird frames, mostly with the flying. Hopefully you don't mind me posting these screens, since it's not really your fault, it's the patch you used to replace Mario with Yoshi:


A cutoff nose.


Cape disattached to back, weird random hand behind Yoshi grabbing the cape.


Nose dive looks weird on the cape part of it this time.

Yoshi's character graphics are in GFX32 if you think you can correct these errors. I have this feeling that because of how the cape looks, you might want to try something else, like drawing a set of wings instead, and mess around with the cape offsets to get it aligned with Small Yoshi's back.


Fixed most with Tilemap Editor.

Originally posted by Kyoseron
The ground palette of the Cheep Cheep Lake level doesn't seem right to me. You can go to Level -> Enable Custom Palette and make new colors for it that only affect this level. The foreground here uses the first half of palette 2.


*changespalette*

Originally posted by Kyoseron
The castle also has an issue with the music blocks. Not only do they have the wrong graphics when stepped on as a result of being incompatible with the Castle sprite index, but it is also extremely hard to consistently run across them without being flung up into the spikes. Perhaps a tricky part that's more predictable will be appropriate, like having a few cement blocks over lava, or a line-guided Grinder (the round saw) to spin-jump across a pit. (For the Grinder, you will need those blue conveyor ending things on the sides of the lines.)


This part has got now a chainsaw.

Originally posted by Kyoseron
I do have a complaint about some of the levels, namely Cheep Cheep Lake, in terms of design alone. The whole first half seems to be just dodging torpedoes by swimming over them, so I think you should find ideas for new things to put in place over some of them for variety. It's important not to prolong a single idea for more than a screen or two, because the player will become bored or frustrated. Also with the end of the lake, just not have the ground dip below to the bottom row. The message box can be used for something else or removed.


Now there are more things, it's even harder, and the end is also fixed.

Originally posted by Kyoseron
Lastly, I'd either take out the spikes above the door of the castle or use coins to guide the player away from them while falling.</span>


Done.

Originally posted by Kyoseron
--Overworld--
With the overworld, I would suggest replacing the green waterfall tiles with normal grass because the way it's animated doesn't really seem grassy to me, and I think you were trying to catch the feeling of grass moving in the wind. It's a bit strange. Maybe add a few hills and rocks, or even an Elder Yoshi's house to go to where he can give you an obscure tip for a level in the future that you would probably need. Also, the switch palace is discolored. Perhaps you would want to use a switch palace that appears the correct color on that submap, or change the palettes so that the yellow switch displays correctly, BUT you may mess up some other things.</div></div>

OK, but where's thze yellow switch in the 16x16 editor? I don't find it.

Originally posted by Kyoseron
Also, the OW Yoshi on some frames is a bit dislocated.

You can find him in GFX10, and you may want to use the original GFX10 from a SMW ROM that didn't have that file edited so you know which frames are which. You might need to draw a new Yoshi to get it realigned.


Done.

Originally posted by Kyoseron
Lastly,


Finally :)

Originally posted by Kyoseron
part of the bridge looks discolored over the water. Maybe you can touch it up by either replacing it with a bridge with a blue BG behind it, or by making small islands "under" the bridges so it looks like the bridge is being supported, and to put the castle on one of those islands so that it seems more believable. The grassy wall at the top looks cutoff since the brown of the grass has no definable region where it meets the water, like an outline, so try to create that.</span>


I'll do this.

Originally posted by "Zach737"
In the intro level, there shouldn't be a door there, and the message doesn't appear until you bounce on the note blocks?


Changed it.

Originally posted by "Zach737"
- Also, Yoshi with a mushroom looks the same as little yoshi. Don't know if that's going to change or not, it just looks a little strange.


I don't want to change this.

Originally posted by "Zach737"
- In Yellow Switch Ahead, if you don't press anything on the control pad after flying out of the pipe to begin the level, you die. You should put something there to land on.
- Flying Yoshi is glitched.
- Cheep Cheep Lake was so incredibly boring. In the torpedo part, all you have to do is swim at the top of the bones and stop every once in a while and you're fine, and after the hammer, I literally held the turbo and walked right and I was fine for the rest of the level.
- Why have the exit look like it's fake and have a message saying it's not? Just fix the land so the player can see it!


See above.

Originally posted by "Zach737"
-Iggy's Castle: It took my fifteen jumps into a pit with flying koopas to realize THOSE POLES ARE "VINES"! Give some sort of warning or use ExGFX to illustrate this.[/qoute]

Message added.

Originally posted by "Zach737"
-Cutoff ground.
-This took me twenty tries to get right, too.
-Yoshi: "Oh look, a leap of faith. Guess I'll just have to jump and hope it's safe down there..."
- "...WTF???? SPIKES??? How could I have seen that coming?"


See above.

Originally posted by "Zach737"
- "Oh look, Iggy can stand on air, so I guess I can take advantage of that glitch too?..."
- "Guess not!"


See message block before the pit.

Originally posted by "Zach737"
- And, as you said, there is an infinite glitch after beating the castle.


Since I started with the next part, it's away, but I have a new problem: If I go from submap to overworld map, it works fine, but if I go from the overworld to the submap, Yoshi goes above the water! left of the castle!

Originally posted by "Zach737"
- Yellow Switch Ahead doesn't destroy after you push the switch, so you can't beat the level if you try again.


See above.

New Screenies tomorrow.

Unexpected end tag (</div>) at 2663, expected </span>
Unexpected end tag (</div>) at 2669, expected </span>
Unexpected end tag (</span>) at 5747, expected </div>
Unexpected end tag (</div>) at 6574, expected </span>
Unexpected end tag (</div>) at 6580, expected </span>
Unexpected end tag (</span>) at 7830, expected </div>
Tag (div) was not closed.
Tag (div) was not closed.
Tag (span) was not closed.
Tag (div) was not closed.
Tag (div) was not closed.
Tag (span) was not closed.
Tag (div) was not closed.
Tag (div) was not closed.
Your layout has been removed.
where i can donwload this amazing game hack? Great job
She says that long ago she knew someone but she's gone she doesn't need her :(

Closed for bumpage. Please do not post in a topic if it's been dormant for 2 or more weeks. Now, to answer your question, the IPS is available in the first post - the link is not dead.

@BadPalettes: PM me with an update to have this reopened.

Just look above you...
If it's something that can be stopped, then just try to stop it!
Opened on BadPalette's request.
Originally posted by MarioMaker789
where i can donwload this amazing game hack? Great job

See first post.

Time for (MY) bumpage!
From now I will more often post screenies.
Let's go!


It's a me!


If you get the refernce, shoot yourself and you family, in this order.


Boss of Castle 2.


Engrish?


Phew... That was close.


YAY


FOR


CLASSIC GOOMBAS!

Selfdrawn.


This shell was shot by a blue koopa.


Phew again.

Please comment ;)

And yes, flying Yoshi with cape still looks like a pile of shit. Can someone do this for me? I'll PM him/her the GFX32.bin.

Also, a demo will be after castle 4.
The Presents logo looks nice, and so do the Goomba GFX. Also, there's no Engrish in the cutscene (as far as I can tell). I don't like the BG palette in the ice cave, and layer 3 rocks in front of the BG look really awkward.


 
Originally posted by WhiteYoshiEgg
ice cave

How you could guess the name of the level? O_o
Yes, I already thought about removing the rocks, but I first wanted some feedback.
Also, I'll replace the cave BG through ExGFX.
Your layout has been removed.
S6-S10
Remove some Brown Blocks its like youre using grey cement block in a level >.<


F-Mario X News:C3 Thread Ahead!
By the way, I gaved up hacking SMW. I think I'll come back, but not yet. ~ X-King
Video up!

<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/70J3r4bCMMo&hl=de&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/70J3r4bCMMo&hl=de&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="349"></embed></object>
Your layout has been removed.
3 thing


1 way to small this level

2 the difficulty is maybe a very little bit to hard(my opinion)

3 floating vine spotted


appart that this level dont look very bad a pretty good job
Originally posted by cloudyboy
1 way to small this level

I make only small levels, but for this more and some secrets...

Originally posted by cloudyboy
2 the difficulty is maybe a very little bit to hard(my opinion)

GO HARD LEVELS! xD

Originally posted by cloudyboy
3 floating vine spotted

...but not cutoff ^^ Maybe I should attach it to the ceiling...
Your layout has been removed.
UPDATE!

This time, it's music. The first of the both songs will be in SYW. Please comment and suggest.

<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UvKCWSmFgTE&hl=de&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UvKCWSmFgTE&hl=de&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="349"></embed></object>

Both songs will be uploaded in The Custom Music Section.
Your layout has been removed.
It kinda sounds more fit for a grassland...
Hum... yes, you're right. Maybe I should add a echo and change some instruments to fit in a cave. But else, it's good for a grassland.
Your layout has been removed.
Originally posted by Superyoshi
Video up!

(Ice cave video)


Awesome level!
Link Thread Closed