So.... I have a massive proposal that's been on my mind for quite a long time, and after receiving the staff's permission, I'm ready to present it in hopes of garnering the interest necessary to make this a reality.
of reality, let me show you a screenshot of The Second Reality Project
by FPI, versus his remake, The Second Reality Project: Reloaded
Striking differences, yeah? Well, I played Reloaded after it first released, and this hack was the biggest inspiration behind what I'm about to present to you today. The remake of TSRP utilized new graphics, new music, etc. to give the original an outstanding
and much-needed facelift, bringing it up to par with (then) current hack standards. See where I'm going with this? No? Well, let me go ahead and get right to it...
I would like to propose a new SMW Central project where we, as a community, remake Super Mario World from the ground up,
utilizing all the tools, resources, and talent that we have to offer in our community. To essentially make Super Mario World as if the original game itself
was a hack. What if we
created Dinosaur Land? If we
decided the world themes, the graphics, the music, the overall design?
We have HDMA & parallax. New Layer 3 options. ExAnimation. Two entirely new GFX slots for both levels and overworlds. Way more ExGFX slots overall than we'd even need. Music samples. Shiny new tools. Talented composers, designers, coders... It's all here. We have everything we need to remake Super Mario World utilizing everything we've built over the years. A true love letter to the game that brought us together in the first place.
Basic Concepts to Start
(Based on thoughts from the Discord server.)
• Level design would remain as-is, to avoid tampering with the core of the game. Towards the end,
we can possibly arrange a small group of trusted level designers to make possible edits or extensions where we can agree that the original game was lacking.
• Plenty of engine optimizations and bug fixes.
• Enemies, blocks, sprites, etc. can be given new animations and/or actions for more fluidity. (EX: More smashed frames for the Rex enemy.)
• Layer 3 / Parallax / HDMA / Cluster sprites all utilized in different combinations together to create unique effects or weather for any particular level. (EX: Rain in a Donut Plains level, or layered trees and fog in a Forest of Illusion level.)
• Revamped world themes. With all the space available for ExGFX, we can truly create a Dinosaur Land with vastly unique scenery across all the game's worlds. I have an entire sub-section here with ideas:
- Yoshi's Island
- Beach (YI 1+2) / Jungle (YI 3+4)
- Donut Plains
- Plains / Savannah
- Vanilla Dome
- Actual cream colored cave + maybe a more specific cave aesthetic separate from regular cave levels throughout the game. (Crystals or mineshafts.)
- Twin Bridges & Cookie Mountain
- Turn this world into an Ice/Snow World? It's pretty high up, after all.
- Forest of Illusion
- Upping the illusion factor, maybe a creepy or horror element?
- Chocolate Island
- A more rocky and mountainous vibe to separate it from Cookie Mountain.
- Valley of Bowser
- Lava / Badlands. Maybe even some swampy areas. Could be a very diverse "secret lush underground world" underneath Dinosaur Land.
- Star World
- Actual space/ethereal theme. Special World could be debated specifically in the future.
• New Koopaling and Bowser bosses, either retaining the spirit of the originals or being something completely new.
• Separate Luigi GFX and physics.
• Remixed music from the original game, expanded for the new world themes as well. Possible multiple remixes of the main overworld theme based on the world you're located in (Donut Plains, Cookie Mountain, Chocolate Island).
As I've said before, this is an idea that I've been sitting on for far too long. However, I felt it would be best to actually introduce this as a potential community effort in order to pull as much of the site's talents as possible. We all have our strengths, so why not put them all together and give Super Mario World all new life?
The PR staff has informed me that, given this project garners the interest and maintains it long enough, they will consider giving it the space on the site it would need. And if enough of you are truly on board, it would be an honor to organize such an exciting project for us.
To prepare for that hopeful outcome, this is going to be the thread to share any and all ideas, graphical/musical concepts, suggestions, etc. and organize them all in one place.