Customizable Layer 2 Smash
Thanks to recent efforts by KevinM there are now easily customizable and user friendly alternatives to the vanilla Layer 2 ON/OFF Scroll and autoscroll sprites in the UberASM repository. Another sprite I think should get the same treatment is the Layer 2 Smash sprite (E9). Because I have no experience with disassebmly work I don't know how difficult it would be to make UberASM where you can have different acceleration, hesitation time, etc. on each screen, like Layer 2 Smash 1 and 2. If that is too complicated to create then a customizable version of only the Layer 2 Smash 3 variant where the entire level has the same parameters for the movement would be more than enough and something I think would be helpful to a lot of people. Some things that would be good to have customizable:
- How many frames until it smashes again after returning to it's initial position
- How many frames to hesitate before smashing
- How many frames before moving back up after smashing
- Speed of the smashing movement
- Speed of the rising movement
- How much to shake the screen on impact
- Screens with and without smashing, as well as, different parameters at different screens (like in Wendy's Castle)
There exists a sideways version
and also one that stuns the player on impact of the smash
in the UberASM repository already that could be used as inspiration, but I think there is benefit in also having one that is user-friendly and replicates the vanilla behavior without any extra gimmicks. Editing the existing ones to create a vanilla version is way too difficult for someone like me with only the bare minimum understanding of how to write assembly code.
Ideally it should be easy to replicate something like the Layer 2 movement in this level
from Storks, Apes and Crocodiles by Morsel.