Views: 1,003,886,088
16 users online: AppleBoy54321, BearAndBoarFan, bruninhopz, Bumpty, cd722, E-man38,  GlitchCat7, Julintendo, Nciktendo,  NopeContest, norwegianboyee, OhMuramatsu, OrangeBronzeDaisy,  patcdr,  Slash Man, Ziz - Guests: 89 - Bots: 225 Users: 54,861 (2,038 active)
Latest: maxiswell2
Tip: Palettes 0-3 do not work correctly on the overworld unless you use LM's option to disable the event reveal animation.
Not logged in.
Help with RetroSpy Arduino Programming
Forum Index - Donut Plains - Computers & Technology - Help with RetroSpy Arduino Programming
Pages: « 1 » Link
Hey, let me know if this is not the right place to ask this.

I am trying to add RetroSpy to my Arduino Uno board, and encountering a compilation issue when trying to upload it. I have changed anything other than un-commenting the #define MODE_SNES line.

The issue I'm seeing is that the Arduino IDE is complaining about a
stray '\357' in program
in almost every single file included by the firmware file, on line 1 which is just comment slashes for all of these files.

I was reading that this is complaining about hidden unicode characters, but removing the line and adding back in the slashes in the IDE doesn't remove the error. I'm thinking that the IDE isn't able to compile the code in the other files, but I have no idea how to fix that.

I do have experience with coding with Java and JS, but have never worked in C/C#/C++ or with arduinos. Any help would be appreciated!
I don't have experience with Arduino specifically, but yeah, that error does sound like some weird unicode character in the code. According to my quick Google search, a \357 is the letter ť. Did you check if your source code contains that anywhere?

Another possibility is that your source file has a wrong encoding somehow. Like, maybe the compiler expects UTF-8, but your source file is ANSI-encoded or something like that, so the compiler interprets some character incorrectly. You can check your source file's encoding by opening it in a text editor like Notepad++, for example.

Feel free to visit my website/blog - it's updated rarely, but it looks pretty cool!
Thanks for the reply! That's all similar to the avenues I was chasing. I did get past this issue eventually by using the Arduino WebIDE, which worked. So something is wrong with my local setup. But I don't really care to sped the time to hunt it down since it seems like the WebIDE works just fine.
Pages: « 1 » Link
Forum Index - Donut Plains - Computers & Technology - Help with RetroSpy Arduino Programming

The purpose of this site is not to distribute copyrighted material, but to honor one of our favourite games.

Copyright © 2005 - 2022 - SMW Central
Legal Information - Privacy Policy - Link To Us


Follow Us On

  • YouTube
  • Twitch
  • Twitter


  • Super Mario Bros. X Community
  • Mario Fan Games Galaxy
  • sm64romhacks