Banner
Views: 925,750,084
Time:
12 users online: AppleBoy54321, ASSATAKKU, Azula16, CalHal,  GlitchCat7, HammerBrother, Hat Kid, MiracleWater, NeXuS15,  NopeContest, pixelninetales, TheJank - Guests: 91 - Bots: 72 Users: 51,756 (2,055 active)
Latest: gellys
Tip: By pressing Shift while placing event tiles, they will be made "silent" and will not appear until a map transition happens. Always use silent event tiles to draw paths in other maps (i.e. a Vanilla Dome event while the player is on the main map), or glitchy tiles may appear.
Not logged in.
Questionable Level Design Contest 2021 - Discussion & Questions
Forum Index - Events - Current Contests & Events - Questionable Level Design Contest 2021 - Discussion & Questions
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 » Link
Originally posted by Galaer
Wait, but YUMP 2 is kaizo hack and it's pretty polished too. Are you sure this hack is good example for this contest?


Yes, hacks like YUMP 2, R-ACK and others that are not taking themselves very seriously or are setting out to be a technical challenge capture the spirit of this contest pretty well. YUMP 2 has a Kaizo:Light categorization only by virtue of having levels that require kaizo know-how to 100% the game, there are still many levels within that hack that would fit this contest's vibe.

I will reiterate that the rule against levels that are predominantly kaizo-designed is to afford the judges and anyone looking to play the entries an expectation of the base level of technical know-how required going into them, i.e. the staples of kaizo: regrabs, shell jumps, momentum conservation, item abuse (in the kaizo sense), glitch tech, etc. are all off the table.
I remember this idea being discussed by the PR team last year, back then it was dismissed because it was deemed too hard to judge. I'm glad you found a way around it and it's also nice to see the qualitative judging format from 2013-2014 back.

I already started working on my level. I showed this on discord, so I'll post it here too. Colorful munchers, each with their own behaviour.

Originally posted by Aja
I remember this idea being discussed by the PR team last year, back then it was dismissed because it was deemed too hard to judge. I'm glad you found a way around it and it's also nice to see the qualitative judging format from 2013-2014 back.


Thanks, I'm confident in the format of the contest and the system we've come up with to judge it, there's a lot of reasons behind not using point scoring especially for this contest's premise.


Originally posted by Aja
I already started working on my level. I showed this on discord, so I'll post it here too. Colorful munchers, each with their own behaviour.



This looks interesting indeed, looking forward to seeing what these munchers do.
Should we use a recent version of Lunar magic and the recent version of the other tools (Pixi Spritool, Asar, AddmusiK...)?

--------------------
Yo, it's been a while.
Originally posted by MegaSonic1999
Should we use a recent version of Lunar magic and the recent version of the other tools (Pixi Spritool, Asar, AddmusiK...)?


So long as the final result runs on current, stable versions of SNES9x and bsnes emulators, or console-compatible Flash cartridges you can use whatever versions of the tools you would like to for your submission.
I wanted to say to everyone good luck on your submissions. I know COVID hasnt been the best for people and am hoping this contest can take your minds off the pandemic for a while. Have a good one! #w{=3}#w{=D}

--------------------
The handheld NSMBs are the best. 😀
Because this is my first entry in such a contest... I just want to confirm that "You may work with up to one (1) partner" excludes playtesting? Thanks!
Originally posted by AttentionDeficitDad
Because this is my first entry in such a contest... I just want to confirm that "You may work with up to one (1) partner" excludes playtesting? Thanks!


Only you or you and a partner can be the named authors on the level. Anyone else you wish to get help from or credit or what not does not fall under this rule.
A prview of my janky level:



--------------------
aquamarine
Originally posted by ninj
A prview of my janky level:


Noice. Keep it up!
#w{=D}

--------------------
The handheld NSMBs are the best. 😀
I honestly wanted to participate in more contests, but I end up never doing anything because procrastination gets the best of me, and I just want to make something really unique and great, but then I also don't know if I can do it. Doing a single weird, experimental level is just my kind of thing. I might actually participate in this, I think it's super cool.

--------------------
Хуй войне!

桐生会FOREVER #ThankYouCoco / Rest in peace, Near, thank you for everything
Originally posted by AmperSam
Originally posted by Galaer
Wait, but YUMP 2 is kaizo hack and it's pretty polished too. Are you sure this hack is good example for this contest?


Yes, hacks like YUMP 2, R-ACK and others that are not taking themselves very seriously or are setting out to be a technical challenge capture the spirit of this contest pretty well. YUMP 2 has a Kaizo:Light categorization only by virtue of having levels that require kaizo know-how to 100% the game, there are still many levels within that hack that would fit this contest's vibe.

I will reiterate that the rule against levels that are predominantly kaizo-designed is to afford the judges and anyone looking to play the entries an expectation of the base level of technical know-how required going into them, i.e. the staples of kaizo: regrabs, shell jumps, momentum conservation, item abuse (in the kaizo sense), glitch tech, etc. are all off the table.

I'm making a hack right now!

--------------------
- Nara
Haven't touched this site in quite a while and I just so happen to feel inspiration right when a contest is going on. I think I have no choice but to come up with something for this event. Looking forward to seeing everyone else's entries.

--------------------
I only came back here because I got way too drunk and had a neat idea for a hack.
Originally posted by dottedgirl
Haven't touched this site in quite a while and I just so happen to feel inspiration right when a contest is going on. I think I have no choice but to come up with something for this event. Looking forward to seeing everyone else's entries.

Welcome back! Good luck coming up with a level in such a short time span.
Originally posted by PrincessEmilu
Haven't touched this site in quite a while and I just so happen to feel inspiration right when a contest is going on. I think I have no choice but to come up with something for this event. Looking forward to seeing everyone else's entries.



Welcome back, glad you have found inspiration to work on a level and participate in this contest. #smrpg{<3}
Originally posted by KevinM
Originally posted by dottedgirl
Haven't touched this site in quite a while and I just so happen to feel inspiration right when a contest is going on. I think I have no choice but to come up with something for this event. Looking forward to seeing everyone else's entries.

Welcome back! Good luck coming up with a level in such a short time span.


Yeaaaaah it's definitely a stretch to get something decent, but I at least want to try. Hopefully all of the game jams I've done will help me crunch something out :)

--------------------
I only came back here because I got way too drunk and had a neat idea for a hack.
Hello, my level is currently hosted on Discord. Do I HAVE to host the level on my file bin or is the file bin just a recommendation, but not required?

Click the character on the right side of my layout to visit my Discord server and discuss and play and look at and get updates and sneak peeks of the games and other things I'm making.

The authors of these 2 My Little Pony fan games have removed their games from the Internet.
Rise of the Clockwork Stallions has been updated! Download My Little Pony: Rise of the Clockwork Stallions DX: Director's Cut and My Little Pony: Magic Shards now! Spread this link!

Originally posted by DPBOX
Hello, my level is currently hosted on Discord. Do I HAVE to host the level on my file bin or is the file bin just a recommendation, but not required?


As long as the link doesn't expire before the contest submission period is over and I can access your level's patch, you can put it wherever you want.
Why make it in the first place
Originally posted by Mohamad20ZX
Why make it in the first place


People participate in contests for a variety of reasons, to have fun, to exercise their creativity, for competition's sake. etc.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 » Link
Forum Index - Events - Current Contests & Events - Questionable Level Design Contest 2021 - Discussion & Questions

The purpose of this site is not to distribute copyrighted material, but to honor one of our favourite games.

Copyright © 2005 - 2021 - SMW Central
Legal Information - Privacy Policy - Link To Us


Menu

Follow Us On

  • YouTube
  • Twitch
  • Twitter

Affiliates

  • Super Mario Bros. X Community
  • ROMhacking.net
  • Mario Fan Games Galaxy
  • sm64romhacks