Recently, I've been spending some time digging through the YI disassembly and tweaking bits of Yoshi's Island. Right now, I'm focused on changing the way stars work.
I'm using the Empty Nest patch and I'm also reducing the amount of stars the player can carry to 3. When the player gets hurt by an enemy, they will lose 1 star. This is meant to act as a 3 hit system. I might increase the amount of health the player has if 3 hits ends up being too hard. I've tried to figure out as much as I could to make these modifications work, but I'm a little stuck with a few things.
tl;dr: I am looking for assistance with making the following modifications:
• Watermelon seeds should NOT turn certain enemies (like mousers) into stars when they get hit. I would like for it to either turn enemies into coins or spawn no sprite at all. Which address controls this?
• Watermelon seed main routine starts at SNES address $01AE19. I did a ctrl+F search for LDA #$01A2, which would be the star sprite being loaded. Can't find it, so I probably have to look for something else.
• How can I change the palette of the stars? I want them to be colored red so I can change the graphic to a little heart.
• Sprite OAM attributes start at SNES address $0A9F1A, but it's a big sea of numbers in the disassembly, making it hard to figure out what to modify.
• I've made it so that stars no longer matter in the score tally. 71 points is the amount you need to get 100% on a level. This means you can 100% a stage even if you don't have the max available stars (3). However, now a player can have 20 red coins, 5 flowers, and 1 star. That means the player is shown to have 71 points on the pause screen, but confusingly, the player's score will jump from 71 to 100 on the "level complete" score tallying screen. This feels weird and confusing, and I'm not so sure how to fix this.
• Helpful post by tehaxor69 about modifying the score system: https://smwc.me/675736
• Not as important, but I want the star counter number to be yellow when the number is 3 or 2. It should only turn red when it is at 1. Which address controls the star counter number's color? Right now, the star counter number is always red.
This is what I've got modified and working in my ROM so far:
Ideally, winged clouds and middle rings should be the only source of stars/health. I may end up changing my mind and giving more opportunities for stars as I develop my Yoshi game, but that's what I've decided on for now. Also, I haven't changed the behaviors of any of the bonus game items yet. I might disable them entirely.