Silentroom - Rainshower | the dubstep hurgle gurgles tired me, but once it got into the whole nu jazz full on dnb shit in the later half i was sold.
Wakana - U.N. Owen Was Her? | um MEDUZA, Becky Hill & Goodboys - Lose Control | oh its this song. i remember hearing it on the radios. it is an absolutely fine little dance track. Lena Raine - Awake | it's piano. i havent played celeste so maybe when this plays its very emotional or good, but standalone its kinda just a short average piano piece. David Bowie - Young Americans | this is an alright david bowie song, but it's far from the stuff i think is most interesting by him. Bloc Party - The Good News | i do like bloc party, but i found this track kinda average. kinda didn't do much for me. Peyruis - Rebirth | i find this to be overwhelmingly generic, but the melody is one ive def heard before a hundred times. i just cannot for the life of me put my finger on what. Odezenne - Chat Suicide | instrumentation was nice, but i did not enjoy either of their flows at all.
so um. haha this again huh. i really can't decide what to throw another vote for since nothing in this set left an impression on me except silentroom. so uh, i'm just gonna vote silentroom. 🙊
David Bowie - Young Americans (in hindsight would've picked a later Bowie song but still absolutely love it, RIP a king)
Bloc Party - The Good News (name and album kinda threw me off when i was setting up the round but ended up really liking this)
rest kinda w/e, wish the original version of clown insanity was nominated instead
Not sure where to put here... or is it? (Also: Yay! Old layout!)Help us raise funds for the Armed Forces of Ukraine. #ДопомагаємоРазом / #HelpTogether “Even if you personally are so dissatisfied with life that you want the world to end, surely the cruel reality is that it will continue on, unchanging. All the better for someone perfectly content, like me.”
– Aya Shameimaru, Touhou Suzunaan ~ Forbidden Scrollery
rainshower - well, its by far the clear winner of this set. yeah, this is where its at lol
young americans - well, its david bowie. pretty good
lose control - well, its pop music. pretty good as far as that goes though actually, i wouldnt mind hearing it on the radio or something
the good news - well, its something. it is well made but a bit samey
awake - well, its good atmospheric piano music, but not something i would listen to by itself really
un owen was her - well, its touhou
rebirth - well, its generic edm. and about as generic as it gets, really nothing about this that stands out in any way
sans chantilly - well, its.. unique? i dont like the production at all and the song is boring
1. Silentroom - Rainshower (fuckin' nice, loving the jazz influence with that sax and other parts of the song, and the synths in general, yes even the wubs lmao; there needs to be more electronic music with jazz influences IMO, it's a very cool sound )
2. Lena Raine - Awake (pretty cool as well, like the chords and stuff too; a bit too sparse for average listening, but what's here is cool and good so it doesn't matter too much to me )
3. Peyruis - Rebirth (I mean, it's pretty fucking generic EDM, and I wouldn't even think of putting it this high, but this set overall is just meh, so fuck it, I'll take what I can get)
4. Bloc Party - The Good News (cool I guess. not my kinda thing, but it's cool)
5. David Bowie - Young Americans (this is a bit more like my kinda thing, but otherwise it's the same situation as above; also it's slightly more boring)
6. MEDUZA, Becky Hill & Goodboys - Lose Control (pretty boring)
SET O RESULTS: Silentroom - Rainshower (12)
Lena Raine - Awake (8)
Wakana - U.N. Owen Was Her? (6)
Bloc Party - The Good News (6)
David Bowie - Young Americans (3)
Odezenne - Chat Suicide (3)
Peyruis - Rebirth (2)
MEDUZA, Becky Hill & Goodboys - Lose Control (1)
More like set poo poo pee pee am I right fellas 😂😂👌🔥💯
For real though this set was pretty rough
1. R.E.M. - Find The River: Nice song. Not sure what the song is about since I haven't looked at the lyrics, but it has a very sentimental vibe. 2. Sikdope x Dux n Bass - Brave: I really like the drop, but the rest isn't quite as good.
--------------- 3. Andrew Neu - Slipstream: Alright song, but I honestly forgot it was even playing after a while. 4. Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize: Same as #3 but to a much greater extent because this song is literally 18 minutes long 5. Hideki Asanaka - Esaka? (Acid Mix): Some parts of this song are good, but it gets old pretty quickly. 6. Black Bomb A - Double: I mean, 7. Kou Hayashi - Sex pervert of a silence [TRUE FINAL BOSS]: This song's length is only 3 and a half minutes but listening to it felt more like 25 minutes 8. Brendan Byrnes - Operator: Everything about this song is annoying. Listening to it actually gave me a headache.
1. Brendan Byrnes - Operator: The wall of sound aspect to this song is marvelous. The vocals complete this tune, what with the delay and reverb added to them. This just uses so much instrumentation and it's all used so well. A perfect combination of digital and analog sounds.
2. R.E.M. - Find The River: Now I'm a big REM fan. You'll be hard pressed to find a song by them I don't like. And this is another song by them that is beautifully done. The combination of what sounds like a keyboard and acoustic guitar sound great.
Sikdope x Dux n Bass - Brave: At first I didn't think I'd like this, but as I got into the song the beat and vocal parts started to grab me. The song ends rather abruptly though.
Kou Hayashi - Sex pervert of a silence [TRUE FINAL BOSS]: This definitely sounds like boss music. The vocal part at 0:59 made me almost spit out the food I was eating. Overall this song is intense and only somewhat musical. Clearly a tune where the main focus in mind while listening is the game play.
Hideki Asanaka - Esaka? (Acid Mix): I enjoyed this. The keyboard leads throughout the song and my personal favorite part was the drums. They provide the background energy this song needs.
Andrew Neu - Slipstream: Remember when I said putting horns in your song was a pass to automatically make me like it? Well this contemporary jazz tune is just about all horn, and I'm in love. I also really liked the drums, but I'm an amateur drummer so that's probably why.
Black Bomb A - Double: I can get down with some scream metal. I've got some in my Spotify playlist. I liked the alternating between deep screaming and high screaming in this song. My one complaint is that you can hardly hear the vocals when they aren't screaming. But that was probably the intention.
Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize: I liked the lead guitar parts. The last four minutes were a nice change of pace from the rest of the song. I found myself enjoying the end considerably more than the rest if I'm honest.
1. Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize: really hard to top my boy Steven Wilson. One of the most important artists of our time, not only for his standalone music, but his production and engineering mastery. Real once in a lifetime kind of guy.
2. Brendan Byrnes - Operator: this is really nice. think im hearing some microtonal stuff?
3. Andrew Neu - Slipstream: light me up a cig johnny, im lookin to score tonight! *our main character was banned from the bar for harassment.*
4. Sikdope x Dux n Bass - Brave: oh we running
5. R.E.M. - Find the River: not the R.E.M. that i woulda gone with, good but lacks a lot of what makes them special
6. The King of Fighters XI - Esaka?: shouldve stopped at 2 minutes, nothing developed.
7. Karous OST - Sex pervert of a silence: я чувствую себя в восточной европе 90-х, после того, как натовские ублюдки разрушили мою родину и заменили ее ... этим
8. Black Bomb A - Double: its every bad metal trope in one song. songs like this are why im picky as hell when it comes to metal. very not good. just pick an A7X song if you want to "add some grit!!! to the tourney", at least then id be a little nicer, if only for nostalgia.
pre-review jam: shitkicker - curly curve: heyyyyyy misstaaaa
2nd pre-review jam: whirly bird - silver apples: unzip my mind
mid-review jam: old town road - lil nas x: lean all in my bladder
Andrew Neu - Slipstream - some really good jazz here
R.E.M. - Find the River - i do be gotta finding the river man. good song
Sikdope x Dux n Bass - Brave - im ready to win my first geometry dash level now
The King of Fighters XI - Esaka? - its okay
Karous OST - Sex pervert of a silence - im just visualizing ren and stimpy jumping up and down
Black Bomb A - Double - i like metal but not this song, sorry
PRE REVIEW JAM: Curly Curve - Shitkicker - everyone likes vocals and this ones got vocals and a badass instrumental at the end
2nd PRE REVIEW JAM: Whirly-bird - Silver Apples - my whiiirrrrly biiirrrrddd
MID REVIEW JAM: Lil Nas X - Old Time Road - def still holds up i'd say.
VOTE #1: Brendan Byrnes - Operator | This song has some wild fucking synths. Not to diminish the actual instruments though, which do their job really well as well to create this bizarre surreal vibe with everything feeling just slightly out of tune in a good way; even the vocals which took a while to grow on me just works together with everything else to create a really good unique atmosphere that just sucks you in and makes you feel like you're floating in a weird space realm. I really didn't expect to like this one as much as I did, but it's a banger.
VOTE #2: Andrew Neu - Slipstream | This song has some really good moments with its instrumentation but it's not really trying to do much, it's by design trying to be lowkey and background-y, and in that sense it creates a really swanky elegant vibe and it's good when you focus and tune in for those moments where the trumpet players are going wild; and as the song goes on once it nears the end it feels like those moments become more common and the song really tries to get your attention. Overall, this song doesn't try to do much, but for what it is trying to do, it does a great job.
-Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize | This song is really really cool and has some really nice vocals, mixing and a great energy in general; and it constantly manages to stay interesting throughout its runtime. However, having said all that, and despite acknowledging that it's one of the technically best songs in this set, I can't say I was really vibing with it that much just on a personal level, which makes me feel really bad! I acknowledge how good this song is but I just kinda didn't vibe with it and after it ended it was difficult for me to recall specific parts. It is absolutely just a preference thing.
-Hideki Asanaka - Esaka? (Acid Mix) | As a latino, I have Experience™️ with KOF and KOF soundtracks, so I may be slightly biased; but I also just really like a lot of KOF music. I wouldn't call it some of my favourite fighting game or videogame music but it brings good energy and it's catchy, with some really crunchy instruments.
-R.E.M. - Find The River | This song is seriously super calming and relaxing. It just kind of makes you feel like you're laying down on grass on a field during a nice sunny a day. However, I just don't really vibe with it, unfortunately. It's not that I don't vibe with this type of song, but while I do appreciate and respect the instrumentation, vocals, and the feelings it produces, something about it just doesn't click with me, purely on a personal preference thing. Still though, while I may not listen to it myself on my own, if it started playing somewhere chill I'd sit down and listen.
-Sikdope x Dux n Bass - Brave | I really really liked the beginning of the song with the buildup, but the drop just left me a little underwhelmed and everything after it just kinda carried the same energy without really taking me anywhere else. Everything after the drop was ok, but I guess I just didn't dig it as much as a personal preference sort of thing.
-Kou Hayashi - Sex pervert of a silence [TRUE FINAL BOSS] | This is pretty good as an intense final boss theme for a shmup and yet that's exactly why it's bad as a music tourney submission; this kind of bullet hell-esque doujin shmup always has these super intense speedcore-y loud in your face songs with short loops as final boss themes and they just don't make good listening on their own unless you're going for a very very specific type of mood.
-Black Bomb A - Double | I feel like you could skip around randomly in this song and the experience would be exactly the same as if you just listened to it linearly.
Unfortunately, due to external circumstances, I was forced to miss the Mid-Review Jam. My heartfelt apologies to Lil Nas X, Billy Ray Cyrus, and all his other producers.