What is HackJam, the mysterious event whose existence at the tail end of the event calendar has tantalized many since the very start of the year (and the PR team for even longer)? Well, worry no longer. The SMWCentral HackJam will be underway in just one week--on October 23rd at 12:00 PM EST--and it's rather different compared to traditional level design contests!
HackJam shakes up the format quite a bit, so to get everyone prepared for it, we're pre-announcing some of the biggest differences you can expect with this event:
- Teams of 2-5 people are REQUIRED. That is to say, solo entries and entries by groups of 6+ people are not allowed. To help potential entrants group up, we will provide a Discord channel and a thread in this forum for grouping shortly after this announcement is posted. Using the channel/thread we provide is not required; you can form teams however you'd like, publicly or privately. A person cannot be on multiple teams.
- Teams are not restricted in making just a single level, and we heavily recommend entries be longer than that! Maximum suggested length of two hours. Submissions are still one patch, so spice up your level transitions! All parts of an entry will be considered.
- Entries can be standard or kaizo. Each team can only submit one entry--standard or kaizo--and difficulty is declared in the submission post. Standard and kaizo entries are played by separate judges.
- Kaizo entries must be Kaizo: Light.
- Teams will NOT be anonymous. Neither will judges. Due to the required team nature of this event, and the steps we're taking to facilitate creation of groups, it's nigh impossible to enforce anonymity.
And here are your judges:
3) JamesD28 (JamesD28)
3) lungfish3000 (not on the site)
Details are always subject to change between now and the start of the event.
We still have a week to make sure everything is set up, so if you have any ideas or feedback for the PR Team after seeing this new format, let us know in this thread so we can be sure to see it as we put the final touches on the event.
HackJam begins on October 23rd at 12:00 PM EST! You can use this thread to discuss the event, as well as #hackjam-discussion on our Discord server.