Banner
C3 Voting has ended! Stay tuned for the results (and Mr. Switchy's fate...)
Views: 958,485,079
Time:
22 users online: Abdu, brickblock369, buggy789, Codephoenix, Dr.Moe, FYRE150, Green Jerry, Hinalyte, isaix, KlonoA13Phill, Knight of Time, KungFuFurby, Luaxon, LucasMegaStriker, lx5, MallyFractal, Medic, ninj, Sal the Dragon, slakkmichael, SoSure, werneta - Guests: 90 - Bots: 77 Users: 53,073 (2,229 active)
Latest: Airdrop6430
Not logged in.
Another demo for my Gameboy style hack Glow
Forum Index - Important - SMW Central Creativity Convention: Winter 2022 - Another demo for my Gameboy style hack Glow
Tags:
Pages: « 1 » Link
Hi, here's another demo for my hack. The previous demo was last C3 (has it already been that long? :()

So anyway, this demo is all of world 1 (which is 8 levels/11 exits). The secret exits are still unlocked by collecting the 4 orb things in the 3 main levels without dying. The secret levels don't do anything for now, but they'll be somewhat important in the full version (probably for a secret ending or something)
The hack is Standard - Very Hard difficulty as it's somewhat trial and error based like old 8 bit games but nowhere near as unforgiving (mostly because you don't have to worry about lives and game overs). Not sure what more to add so here's some screenshots of each level:




Download


Since this demo is still in hack testing, I'm not gonna post it in the SMW Hacks thing yet. There isn't anything broken, but I'd still rather wait for some more feedback before I post it there. For now, this is just a C3 demo.

YEEEEESSSSSSS!!!
I remember playing a demo of this a while ago and had a ton of fun with it.
I'll definitely give this a go, loving the gameboy-ish visuals! #smrpg{<3}
Lots of love, S1Z2 <3

Massive thanks to Giga for making the layout!
Really cool screenshots, especially the 3rd and 4th. I like how bright everything is without it being super hard on the eyes

--------------------
Check out my WIP romhack!
I Must Say I Realy Like how This Hack from the Colors Remains me of Kirbys Dream Land 2 Im Wondering if You Planing on Doing a Coloring Progress so That You Later Has Some Full Cololored Levels Ala Gameboy Color or If The Style Stays Like That So or So It Looks Realy Interresting :D

--------------------
Mein Youtube Kanal
http://www.youtube.com/user/Lordkronos100?feature=mhum


My Youtube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/Lordkronos100?feature=mhum



Looks awesome

--------------------
Every dream is but another reality, never forgetā€¦

My In-Progress Hack

Very unique aesthetic choices in this one, I'm really diggin' how the project is coming together. I would definitely have a hard time playing through this, but with no risk of having to start over completely I suppose that's not really a big issue lol.

The level in the fourth screenshot is the only one where I'm not particularly sold on the palette. It's a little bright for my liking, and there's not really enough contrast to be able easily distinguish what's in the foreground and background.

Still, great concept! I'll add this one to list of projects to check out later on.
This is looking beyond expectations. Good job!

--------------------
Works in progress (No proper forum... yet)
It really has been that long since last c3 but I remember this one and I am liking the updates you're sharing. This hack's aesthetics are really lovely and thoughtful, I'm avoiding playing too much of the demo as I'd like to wait for the full release but this is shaping up to be something special. Keep it up!
Originally posted by Veck

The level in the fourth screenshot is the only one where I'm not particularly sold on the palette. It's a little bright for my liking, and there's not really enough contrast to be able easily distinguish what's in the foreground and background.

The background is more obvious in game since it scrolls separately, but I guess I could change it. Should the background be darker or brighter than the foreground to help with contrast? (I'd obviously make the foreground darker if it's the second thing)
Wow, the demo is already finished at the
White Workshop
? It was going so smoothly. Fantastic work, I dare to say. Reminds me of a lot of old games like Kirby, Wario Land and others. I really like that
the brown battleship level reminds me of the Wave Man level, from Mega Man 5
. Can't wait for the full release. This project resonates so much with me. Indeed, a very old-school homage. #smrpg{<3}

--------------------
Originally posted by Anorakun
Wow, the demo is already finished at the
White Workshop
? It was going so smoothly. Fantastic work, I dare to say. Reminds me of a lot of old games like Kirby, Wario Land and others. I really like that
the brown battleship level reminds me of the Wave Man level, from Mega Man 5
. Can't wait for the full release. This project resonates so much with me. Indeed, a very old-school homage. #smrpg{<3}

Thanks for the positive feedback! :) (Also the Wave Man thing is intentional)
*Great looking hack, from top to bottom. You've nailed the style and aesthetic so well. Absolutely in love!
*Same goes for the opening scroll, that was just so god damn good. I would love to know how you made it, out of technical curiosity.
*It is kicking my ass.
* That's ok, though. It's not frustrating, I'm making mistakes.
* Level design is creative and fun, top-notch.

I finally beat the first level after about 20 minutes, it felt like an accomplishment.



So, overall, this hack is outstanding, nails it on every level. It's gorgeous, great tunes, a superb demo. I loved it and I will play it through to the end. Great work!
GANYMEDE

Chapter two: Land of No Shame
Coming January 2022
Originally posted by Ondore's Lies
*Great looking hack, from top to bottom. You've nailed the style and aesthetic so well. Absolutely in love!
*Same goes for the opening scroll, that was just so god damn good. I would love to know how you made it, out of technical curiosity.
*It is kicking my ass.
* That's ok, though. It's not frustrating, I'm making mistakes.
* Level design is creative and fun, top-notch.

I finally beat the first level after about 20 minutes, it felt like an accomplishment.

So, overall, this hack is outstanding, nails it on every level. It's gorgeous, great tunes, a superb demo. I loved it and I will play it through to the end. Great work!


Glad you enjoyed it! :D
Since you wanted to know, the opening thing is actually pretty simple. Everything is on layer 1 except for the Gameboy border which is a layer 3 with the scroll rates set to none. I also used the cutscene UberASM to lock the player's movement and allow you to skip the opening
Pages: « 1 » Link
Forum Index - Important - SMW Central Creativity Convention: Winter 2022 - Another demo for my Gameboy style hack Glow

The purpose of this site is not to distribute copyrighted material, but to honor one of our favourite games.

Copyright © 2005 - 2022 - SMW Central
Legal Information - Privacy Policy - Link To Us


Menu

Follow Us On

  • YouTube
  • Twitch
  • Twitter

Affiliates

  • Super Mario Bros. X Community
  • ROMhacking.net
  • Mario Fan Games Galaxy
  • sm64romhacks